Talk

Advanced search

To ask about removal of driving licence

(38 Posts)
rosylavender Sat 24-Feb-18 15:52:15

Here is the situation.

If someone is driving and is stopped by the police, and they are not drinking or on drugs, can their driving licence be revoked on medical grounds even if no diagnosed illness?

bradilemma Sat 24-Feb-18 15:53:23

What were the "medical grounds"? There must have been a reason?

rosylavender Sat 24-Feb-18 15:55:27

What do you mean?

Thehogfather Sat 24-Feb-18 16:00:10

I'd guess it would depend on the situation. If you are clearly demonstrating you aren't safe to drive, eg blacking out, difficulty steering, reduced reaction time etc then presumably they can, at least pending examination and dx etc.

rosylavender Sat 24-Feb-18 16:01:21

Thanks

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Sat 24-Feb-18 16:12:33

If you are aware you are unable to drive safely due to a medical condition you must inform the DVLA. If you continue to drive and cause an accident your insurance will be invalid and you will be personally liable for all costs - you could lose literally everything you own.

rosylavender Sat 24-Feb-18 16:14:57

Yes, but what if you are not aware? In other words if you have never been diagnosed with anything and then a letter comes form the police?

LivingInMidnight Sat 24-Feb-18 16:21:11

Is this hypothetical?

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sat 24-Feb-18 16:22:02

I hate these vague posts where we’re all supposed to guess the situation and give appropriate advice.

Can’t you just tell us what happened so people can help properly?

RoseyOldCrow Sat 24-Feb-18 16:24:15

Yes
Happened to a friend of my parents.

Beanteam Sat 24-Feb-18 16:24:30

DF blacked out at wheel once and couldn't drive for 6 months. No reason for blackout was found.

Thehogfather Sat 24-Feb-18 16:25:11

Again I would imagine it depends on the likelihood of whether you can reasonably be expected to have known. So if for instance you have your first ever fit whilst driving, it makes sense they can stop you, but at the same time would be unfair to prosecute you for driving when unfit when you had no idea.

However if eg an eye problem has reduced your vision to the point you aren't safe, it's fair to assume you must have been aware your eyesight rendered you unfit.

(Just incase it isn't clear I'm just guessing from what I do know, I'm not an expert on traffic laws or in the police or similar)

Pjmasks Sat 24-Feb-18 16:26:42

Surely if the police know enogh to issue a letter stopping them driving the person must know enough to know they were unsafe to drive? 🤔

rosylavender Sat 24-Feb-18 16:29:41

I hate those posts where people post just to say they hate posts.

Pj no they do not.

Thank you for your help. I’m not intentionally being vague, you all know as much as me.

WhiskeySourpuss Sat 24-Feb-18 16:31:15

Surely any letter regarding having your driving licence revoked would come from the DVLA not the police...

Also the advice would be different depending on the actual situation & the driver involved - HGV drivers for example have a different set of laws to follow.

Lobsterface Sat 24-Feb-18 16:31:53

Perhaps no diagnosis but you can have symptoms without one.

rosylavender Sat 24-Feb-18 16:32:55

This one definitely came from the police - don’t know what normal practice is.

HelgasFlowers Sat 24-Feb-18 16:34:19

I think that the police/DVLA will revoke a license if your safety as a driver will be compromised. This isn’t a punishment as such, e.g. my grandfather was not allowed to drive for 6 weeks after a TIA. It’s common sense and responsible.

If the concern is that you will be prosecuted, I think that would depend on prior knowledge the driver had of the medical condition, and would possibly involve more than just revoking the license.

MsVestibule Sat 24-Feb-18 16:34:35

rosy but you are being vague! If you'd said 'I/my dad/my neighbour blacked out at the wheel and have now received a letter from the DVLA saying xyz' people would be in a better position to give advice.

rosylavender Sat 24-Feb-18 16:35:13

Sorry, I’m not going to compromise someone else’s privacy for your sake. Why does it matter?

Penfold007 Sat 24-Feb-18 16:36:56

Has the person in question been asked to voluntarily surrender their licence because they are unfit to drive?

HelgasFlowers Sat 24-Feb-18 16:37:58

Also, I imagine that in this instance a diagnosis doesn’t matter as such - a condition exists or doesn’t, so if the police have deemed someone unsafe to drive that’s what has happened. Being undiagnosed won’t mean without the condition. I imagine the DVLA would be able to answer more specific queries if there is confusion over the condition from the driver.

WhiskeySourpuss Sat 24-Feb-18 16:38:01

Can you tell us what the letter actually said?

The police aren't responsible for issuing and/or revoking driving licences it's the DVLA, DVSA or the Traffic Commissioner who have that responsibility.

MsVestibule Sat 24-Feb-18 16:43:51

Sorry, I’m not going to compromise someone else’s privacy for your sake

I really couldn't give a flying fuck who it's about. I'm sure it wouldn't be beyond your wit to change very minor details, ie who it's about. My point is, if you want advice, you have to give relevant information.

I'll leave you to it, love 🙄.

nippey Sat 24-Feb-18 16:48:25

Someone I know was reported by a concerned member of public for having fits and they are banned from driving for 12 months even with no diagnosed illness.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: