Talk

Advanced search

To find ordering in subway stressful

(208 Posts)
Elizanotlittle Sat 24-Feb-18 13:10:55

Just asked my oh what we should have for lunch suggested a KFC or a quiche from a local patisserie.

He suggested subway. It gave me the rage.

I actually don't mind the food but the ordering process and all the questions actually raises my anxiety levels. Especially if you want more than one sandwich.

I mean you can't just order and wait you have to constantly speak and wait and the queue always takes ages.

Aibu? Anyone else?

Peachyking000 Sat 24-Feb-18 13:14:31

Yes I find it too fast and furious, I always need more time to decide what I want. Our local burrito place is the same, it makes me panic as you can’t see the menu till you are at the top of the queue, by which stage you are being asked questions and have a queue behind you

Fruitcocktail6 Sat 24-Feb-18 13:16:08

I hate ordering anywhere where the menu is only behind the counter. I can't see it!

missiondecision Sat 24-Feb-18 13:17:38

“Sandwich artists” are always rush rush and there is too much choice. Yanbu.

maddiemookins16mum Sat 24-Feb-18 13:19:03

This is the exact reason I stick with a Greggs sausage roll (or simple sandwich). There's too much 'choice' in these other places and I just get flustered especially when there's a queue.

PhelanThePain Sat 24-Feb-18 13:20:36

I agree OP. A menu you can only see just as you are being asked what you want. “Hi we have 17 different breads, 9 different meats, 42 different toppings and 137 sauces. Pick your sandwich now please, whilst walking. And whilst I’m also taking orders from all the people infront and behind you”

MsHarry Sat 24-Feb-18 13:24:34

Just get a wrap form supermarket.

Dolphincrossing Sat 24-Feb-18 13:24:55

I hate the way the sandwich disappears under the piles of lettuce they put on it.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sat 24-Feb-18 13:27:25

If you go a few times it's easy as you develop a favourite and always ask for that. It's nice to have something freshly made to your specification.

Alternatively you can check the menu online before you go/ in the queue.

I also find it tricky the first time as often I can't hear what the server says if background music, and I don't like making food decisions on the spot.

Phosphorus Sat 24-Feb-18 13:27:48

I'd love to try it, but I won't go in until they get some of those kiosks like McDonald's have now.

Or an app where you can order while standing outside.

They deliver here I think, but I can't imagine they travel well.

OddBoots Sat 24-Feb-18 13:28:55

My children laugh at me as I can only cope in Subway if I check the website first and write down my order to hand across. I just can't hear clearly enough to confidently answer the questions they ask me.

HellsBellsnBucketsofBlood Sat 24-Feb-18 13:29:50

I hate it.

SparkyTheCat Sat 24-Feb-18 13:30:44

I refuse to go back to Subway, last time I ate there the meat was slimy and a bit off. And like you op I find the ordering process stressful - even when I've clearly said no thanks I don't want sauce, no I really don't, look I just want the sandwich plain please, they still can't seem to cope with this.

MyRelationshipIsWeird Sat 24-Feb-18 13:32:57

Yes, it's a pain, having to specify which bread, which length, toasted or not, which filling, with or without extra cheese, which types of salad etc when you're a family of 4 it's an absolute ball ache. Then you open it and get a load of saucy warm salad and a soft cookie. Yuk. Rather have KFC but sadly that's not gonna happen at the moment!

Mercurial123 Sat 24-Feb-18 13:38:19

You aren't required to use Subway I don't find it stressful at all. Just go and buy a present made one simple.

Sarahjconnor Sat 24-Feb-18 13:38:26

I had a great time with this in the US. I was in the queue and they were shouting at me - what ham, what cheese, what peppers etc and I was panicking and suddenly the biggest man I have ever seen in my life - he must have been over 7 foot tall and at last 30 stones, appeared at my side. He held DD firmly by the shoulders and grinned then boomed

"Ya'll Europeans, you can't handle such choice" as he waved a tree trunk arm the length of the counter. "Guy's slow down, help these folk, show them our ways and the culture of the sandwich"

And everyone stopped rushing and shouting and started giving us tasters and samples and it was fantastic. Now I always start by doing my 'overlay polite silly woman' act

"I'm sorry to trouble you, but I haven't been here before and don't understand the choices" and then people are kind and remember that we are human beings, not sandwich robots smile

That man thou - I even took his photo - holiday legend!

CadyHeron Sat 24-Feb-18 13:40:11

I hear you. I love Subway sandwiches, have had them a couple of times but it definitely gets my stress levels up ordering one!
You can never see the menu until you're in the queue and by the time you've just started to look at it you're at the top and being asked 500 questions.
"Would you like a 6 inch or a foot long?"
"What bread would you like - granary, Italian, sun dried Mediterranean....."

"I dunno,do I?! Just give me a friggin' sandwich!"

grin

Sparklingbrook Sat 24-Feb-18 13:40:47

I sometimes pop in to get DS2 a sandwich. I have to take a deep breath and brace myself. Keep repeating 'Ham, bacon and lettuce on Hearty Italian', then I get to the counter and panic and forget. confused
I can't imagine going in with sandwich requirements for more than one person.

It looks nothing like the picture when you get it either. A sweaty long plastic bag of disappointment which stinks the car out.

SpringEquinox Sat 24-Feb-18 13:43:57

Long spiel of questions resulting in nasty sandwich made with cheap, processed ingredients- not worth the hassle

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sat 24-Feb-18 13:45:14

I will never eat in Subway because the choices and ordering is too complicated for me. I prefer my fast food to be stress free!

CritEqual Sat 24-Feb-18 13:45:53

I'm going to file this away under 1st world problems if that's ok with everyone?

BrendasUmbrella Sat 24-Feb-18 13:47:19

My order is meatball marinara on 6 inch soft italian, toasted with cheese, pickles, onions and lettuce, and southwest sauce. As long as I don't deviate from that in the slightest I'm fine. if the person I'm with says oh what about turkey and ham, my mind goes blank. I don't want to have to think about which salad and sauce will go best with it. Subway should just offer a set menu, for instance I should be able to walk in and ask for the "number 9" and get my above order. It would be quicker than all the questions and answers.

MsHarry Sat 24-Feb-18 13:48:14

Not to mention the fact they uses halal meat, no thanks!

Frouby Sat 24-Feb-18 13:48:47

I can cope with subway. So can dp.

However drive thro' anything reduces me and dp to gibbering, stressed wrecks. Hate it.

Sparklingbrook Sat 24-Feb-18 13:49:45

Expectation v reality.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: