Talk

Advanced search

Hershey's Milk Chocolate

(84 Posts)
fessmess Fri 23-Feb-18 10:52:42

My dd went to New York last week, "get me some American sweets please" I ask. I have never had anything so disgusting in my life. Who wants chocolate to taste of vomit? The grape Hi-Chews, well they don't even taste like food! AIBU to disown my dd?

cheshiremama89 Fri 23-Feb-18 10:54:20

Yes!

It's VILE!

Turns into a frothy vomit confused

FranticallyPeaceful Fri 23-Feb-18 10:54:46

American sweets/chocolate just taste like plastic to me. It’s absolutely bizarre. I think the fancy names and packaging just makes them tempting but the reality is most imported American stuff here has to come with a sticker warning (that Theresa May is trying to get rid of apparently?) and that’s because it’s pure shite.

Gimme a Cadbury’s bar anyday

Sarsparella Fri 23-Feb-18 10:56:13

Yanbu someone at work brought Hershey’s kisses back from the US and they tasted vile, actually a bit like vomit 🤢

FanofFung Fri 23-Feb-18 10:56:24

It's disgusting stuff. YUCK YUCK YUCK.

Just stop eating American food, no need to disown your DD grin

HarrietKettle Fri 23-Feb-18 11:00:55

Yes, WHY do they taste of vomit?

I think someone told me they use off milk or something but I'm not sure confusedenvy

fessmess Fri 23-Feb-18 11:01:14

But Fano it IS chocolate! I'm intrigued franctically what do these stickers say?

Yeahsureokay Fri 23-Feb-18 11:01:29

Hershey's milk is awful, yes. I kind of like the cookies and cream bars they do though. I also like a lot of Reese's stuff.

We got these little American ball things once in a box, called cookie bites or something, and they tasted like knock off chocolate. They were absolutely inedible. Expensive too!

I think Kinnerton is vile though, and I think they are British? (I could be wrong.)

Shadow666 Fri 23-Feb-18 11:02:30

I don’t know any Brits who like Hershey’s chocolate. I love Hi chews though.

liz70 Fri 23-Feb-18 11:06:30

It's a sliding scale - the continentals think our chocolate is crap, we think American chocolate is crap, I shudder to think what chocolate the Americans look down upon.

Shnazzyshot Fri 23-Feb-18 11:06:55

It literally does taste like vomit! The after taste is horrible!

StellaHeyStella Fri 23-Feb-18 11:07:49

I came on to say it tastes like sick but I see you've beat me to it op smile

VitriolicMuse Fri 23-Feb-18 11:08:17

Someone once told me it’s made with sour milk. I don’t know how true that is but it would make sense considering it does taste like gone off milk.

Buster72 Fri 23-Feb-18 11:36:19

Reeses are made by Hershey. winkI have actually visited the town and the fa tory. They use less cocoa I think. For truly awful chocolate try south africa

nocake Fri 23-Feb-18 11:44:28

It tastes like vomit because it contains a chemical that is also found in vomit. The rumours are that Hershey's developed a process that allows them to use milk that is less than fresh, the side effect of which is this chemical.

EnglishGirlApproximately Fri 23-Feb-18 11:48:00

With the notable exception of Reece’s which o could live on, YANBU, American chocolate is awful.

saffroon Fri 23-Feb-18 11:49:34

I tried Hersheys once and I actually had to spit it out, it was that vile.

NKFell Fri 23-Feb-18 11:56:17

I once saw this on a documentary about chocolate and sweets grin don’t judge me!

Anyway, it is because it contains a chemical that is found in vomit but it had chocolate from around the world and basically everyone liked their ‘native’ chocolate and sweets the best.

fessmess Fri 23-Feb-18 11:58:56

Thanks guys. One question; anyone want some Hershey's milk chocolate? smile

Montyrage Fri 23-Feb-18 12:08:27

It's awful. I bought a huge bag of Hersheys kisses and think we threw them away in the end!

Kokeshi123 Fri 23-Feb-18 12:09:30

They used soured milk in it, apparently, and the flavor is supposedly appreciated in the States.

Someone handed some round at work after a business trip to the States, and I took one bite and thought, OMG, it's got rancid. A cheesy vomity flavor. Should I tell her that she's handing round rancid chocolate? I looked around and the Americans (I work in a very international office outside the UK) were all chomping the stuff down enthusiastically. I realized with a shock that it is actually meant to taste like that.

Christ almighty. I had to make myself a cup of extra-strong horrible black instant coffee to wash the taste out of my mouth. I swear to God I am not a chocolate snob. I might prefer Lindt to Cadbury's but I wouldn't sit there pretending that Cadbury's makes me feel sick or anything like that. Hershey's really did make me feel sick.

TheCatsMother44 Fri 23-Feb-18 12:13:06

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Hersheys tastes like puke.

beepthemeep Fri 23-Feb-18 12:16:25

I know it's shit and I should hate it.

But Hershey's nuggets or kisses are my secret dirty little love habit!!! I wish I preferred 90% dark organic chocolate that was hand made by virgin monks in Belgium, but I just... don't.

I did smile at frantically above though - cadbury's tastes like Hershey's now that the Americas have diddled around with it!

ColdBurntToast Fri 23-Feb-18 12:22:23

It's fucking vile. American sweets are just shit. No wonder they're so cross at each other all the time. No decent choc fix

SaucyJack Fri 23-Feb-18 12:23:26

Here's the science bit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: