Talk

Advanced search

Electricity for 2 bed flat

(24 Posts)
beepthemeep Thu 22-Feb-18 13:02:44

Would anyone mind sharing roughly what they pay or would expect to pay for electricity for a 2 bed flat (about 1100 square feet)? Gas heating, hot water and hob.

I'm asking because I was rather negligent about meter readings. But after selling the flat, closing the account and checking with my bank, it seems the provider has been taking £190 a month by direct debit for quite some time... I was therefore expecting a big juicy refund, but they tell me I owe them £10!!!!

I've asked for a full breakdown which i am waiting for, but just wondered whether I am way out - I was thinking it should be more like £50 a month? Does £190 sound right to anyone?

Thanks!!

yorkshireyummymummy Thu 22-Feb-18 13:06:04

No. My house is five bed, and i have a DD who seems to love having every light on in the house. I pay just under £100 per month.
The only thing I would ask you is was your water heated by gas? If it is heated by electric ( ie immersion) this can be horrendously expensive.

beepthemeep Thu 22-Feb-18 13:07:39

Thank you! No, in fact the hot water was provided centrally by the landlord (bliss as it never ever ran out and you could have as many hot baths as you liked without it costing any more!), so we paid for that under the service charge.

AwkwardPaws27 Thu 22-Feb-18 13:10:28

Depends to a degree on what tariff you were on - if you've been on a standard rate you'll be paying more than someone who has compared rates & chosen a cheaper tariff. Were you paying a low direct debit before (eg the £190 could partly have been paying for a big bill that's built up over time)? I pay £90 a month for g&e on a three bedroom house, although only two of us here & I've fixed on a lower tariff & enter the metre readings regularly (every 6-8weeks) online.

beepthemeep Thu 22-Feb-18 13:15:28

I've only asked the bank to go back 2 years but they say it's been £190 a month for the last 24 months. I don't remember it being low before that, but if it was the breakdown will show it, I guess.

I am just really shocked that it could be that much, but wondering if I'm out of touch!

eyeswideshit Thu 22-Feb-18 13:18:18

1 bed flat, gas heating, hob and oven. On a meter and I pay between 10-15 for electricity a month. Pretty much in all day and run the washing machine 2-3 times a week.

Reading threads on here though I do seem to pay less than most.

ThePants999 Thu 22-Feb-18 13:20:08

£100 a month gas and electricity combined for a 4-bed house, and we're quite profligate users of both - though I do always ensure we're on the best possible tariff.

jay55 Thu 22-Feb-18 13:22:09

One bed pay £25 a month, water like yours is through central unit.
Have dishwasher and washer drier and hob tv etc.

TheHungryDonkey Thu 22-Feb-18 13:24:02

I pay £40 a month for 2 bed with three people. Actually I think that’s including gas. I’m extremely careful with utilities. I have about 150 credit with British Gas but if I take it back they put my direct debit up which is really unfair.

mustbemad17 Thu 22-Feb-18 13:25:08

2 bed flat here, gas heating everything else is leccy. I have a vivarium on a thermostat constantly (seems irrelevant but it did increase my weekly usage), also have a tumble i use a lot - i put £15 a week on my meter (prepay) & only ever run out if i absolutely cane the tumble dryer. £190 is outrageous!

Celebelly Thu 22-Feb-18 13:28:27

That's nuts! We pay £110 gas + electric combined for a four-bed house (granted only two of us but I work from home as does DP a few days a week, so we consume a lot of electricity during day). In our old, smaller house, we paid £80 a month for both combined.

Something seems fishy!

BlooperReel Thu 22-Feb-18 13:53:37

2 bed flat here, full electric, 2 adults 2 kids approximately £85 -£100 per month, higher in winter, closer to £145.

SheepySheepy Thu 22-Feb-18 13:57:33

I agree is sounds like you've overpaid. Trouble is... not sure how you can prove that is you didn't do a meter reading when you left.

hotcrosssbunsandtea Thu 22-Feb-18 13:59:33

That's insane. We pay £40 combined gas/electric for a two-bed house.

CandyCaneLane0 Thu 22-Feb-18 14:01:02

We pay around £30 a month for our 2 bed flat, gas heating, water and hob

Snowysky20009 Thu 22-Feb-18 14:18:28

£10-£15 a week on both gas and electric (prepay so always more expensive). I'm home all day every day, heating on half the day (I'm always cold due to illness), 2 teens running gaming pc's Xbox, tv's, phones charging, tumble dryer twice a day, washing machine twice a day and dishwasher once a day. Our useage is high. Your costs seems horrendous!

MissWimpyDimple Thu 22-Feb-18 14:18:51

Gas and electric for large 2 bed flat was £54 pcm. Just had an email telling me I have overpaid so they have reduced it to £29 pcm.

To be honest, if you didn't change tariff and let them put you on standard tariff I'm not surprised.

FirstMumToBe Thu 22-Feb-18 14:24:27

We live in a 2 bed apartment, bottom floor, all energy is electric and over the winter we leave one electric heater on constantly, as it takes a day or so to warm up!! Our tariff is coming to an end and they tried to put it up from £40 to £80 with no explanation, with a quick look on comparison sites we have renewed with a new company for less than £35 a month smile

beepthemeep Thu 22-Feb-18 14:26:21

Oh I did a meter reading on the day we sold it.

I spoke to them and they're sending a full update, but it sounds as if they might also be billing me for next door (it's a Victorian mansion block and mine/next door used to be one giant grand flat until they were separated into two normal flats! That was 50 years ago, but apparently the Royal Mail and various utility companies didn't get the memo).

So I'll review when I get the full statement and then if it still looks way high, I'll challenge it. Thanks all!

sexnotgender Thu 22-Feb-18 14:28:08

I have a 2 bed flat without gas so everything is electric.
I pay £100 a month.

£190 just for electric is daylight robbery.

Lobsterquadrille2 Thu 22-Feb-18 14:51:21

I have a two bedroomed flat - I've no idea about the square feet but all the rooms are very large and it was built in 1730 (all dash windows and no double glazing).

I pay £130 per quarter for gas/electricity combined and maybe £170
for the colder quarters.

Lobsterquadrille2 Thu 22-Feb-18 14:52:32

Dash not dash windows! Also I don't like feeling overheated so rarely have the heating on.

Lobsterquadrille2 Thu 22-Feb-18 14:53:04

Sash- damned autocorrect

FoofFighter Thu 22-Feb-18 14:56:15

New build 2 bed flat, approximately £30-35 a month electricity (prepay meter if that makes any difference) Gas is on DD at £21 a month.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: