Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect a tea pot!

(102 Posts)
CoffeAndCream Thu 22-Feb-18 10:25:16

Currently on holiday in Cornwall in luxury caravan on a newly refurbished site. It's got a dishwasher and washer/dryer, a nice glass cafetiere but no teapot!!!! There is one glass casserole dish but no other serving dishes or bowls - I'm using the colander as a fruit bowl.

I've never stayed anywhere in the UK where a teapot has not been provided. I would have brought my own if I had known!!!

What are your must-haves when self-catering?

UnimaginativeUsername Thu 22-Feb-18 10:30:46

I’d never expect a tea pot anywhere. I’ve never owned one. Neither have my parents. My grandparents didn’t have one either. The (not)ILs drink ridiculous amounts of tea and don’t have a tea pot.

UnimaginativeUsername Thu 22-Feb-18 10:31:14

I wouldn’t expect a fruit bowl either, tbh.

littlemisscomper Thu 22-Feb-18 10:31:15

A sieve! Why does nowhere ever have a sieve?!!

CoffeAndCream Thu 22-Feb-18 10:36:29

Unimaginative
Well this place would suit you then!

RoyalBelum Thu 22-Feb-18 10:39:10

No foreigner believes it, but most brits seem to make and drink tea straight in mugs, so I would not expect one, sadly.

MTBMummy Thu 22-Feb-18 10:41:09

A grater - why are there never graters?

And a decent knife, or sharp knives for eating steak/meat portions with?

LoniceraJaponica Thu 22-Feb-18 10:42:46

I wouldn't expect a teapot either. I only use mine if I am making tea for more than 3 people. Usually it is just OH and me though.

BarbaraofSevillle Thu 22-Feb-18 10:42:50

A teapot would be nice, but I've never seen one unfortunately, but we only ever rent small apartments. It would definitely be expected in a family sized nice caravan.

I hate tea made in mugs. It's just not the same and where's your second cup? Have they provided decent sized mugs or stupid tiny tea cups?

On a recent holiday, we bought mugs from a bargain store after about 2 days because we were fed up of the tiny cups that held a mouthful of tea.

ShinyMe Thu 22-Feb-18 10:44:11

Can't you make tea in the cafetiere?

Crispbutty Thu 22-Feb-18 10:45:09

I use a cafetière to brew tea. It works just as well.

TheDailyMailIsADisgustingRag Thu 22-Feb-18 10:45:09

Big mugs are my must have on holiday. We went to a uk self catering cottage last autumn and they provided huge mugs. It honestly improved my whole opinion of the property. If they’d only provided little teacups I’d have thought slightly less of it (saddo grin)!

TheDailyMailIsADisgustingRag Thu 22-Feb-18 10:45:36

Ha! X post @barbara!

Chocolatesaveslives Thu 22-Feb-18 10:47:46

I wouldn't expect a teapot either although I would expect there to be a bowl or bowls you could use as a fruit or serving bowl.

viques Thu 22-Feb-18 10:52:50

I have lost count of the holiday cottages where I have donated cheap market wooden spoons. They usually have metal spoons but I hate stirring stuff in saucepans with metal spoons because it sets my teeth on edge. I leave them because I have a plethora of wooden spoons at home and because I am kind.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 22-Feb-18 10:56:36

There's only so much space in a caravan, you can't expect a home from home! Most people wouldn't bother using serving dishes in such circumstances (small table, I'm guessing) and they'd probably expect you to put your fruit in a cupboard to save the limited surface space.

I have always taken a small plastic chopping board with me to self-catering accommodation. I don't like thinking that raw meat and fish juices could have been ingrained in the scratches on those provided.

Astrabees Thu 22-Feb-18 10:57:04

There has usually been a teapot in the holiday cottages I've rented. I remember having to go to Tenby to find a replacement when I broke one once. We have usually found a good supply of cooking implements, casseroles, etc. too.

Mummyoflittledragon Thu 22-Feb-18 10:57:33

Dh and I always bring a number of items with us when self catering including:
Large frying pan
Sharp knife
Tin opener
Scissors
Chopping board
Wooden spoon

The cafetière is a teapot of sorts. I agree with pps to use that.

Chanelprincess Thu 22-Feb-18 10:58:26

I would expect a teapot - I never ever make tea in mugs as I rarely use bags, but then I am very British when it comes to things like that. As PPs have said, the cafetiere will work fine.

vandrew4 Thu 22-Feb-18 10:58:26

I don't think I've ever seen a teapot in a holiday let

munqch Thu 22-Feb-18 11:00:29

Wouldn't even occur to me to expect a teapot, I drink a lot of tea but generally just make it in the mug. I do hate it if there's no cafetière or coffee maker though!

Shadow666 Thu 22-Feb-18 11:01:33

I have a teapot. I’ve had it over 10 years and never used it. I have a Starbucks travel mug I take on holiday just in case there aren’t any big mugs.

CoffeAndCream Thu 22-Feb-18 11:02:21

There is plenty of cupboard space going spare because there are no bowls or serving dishes. This is supposed to be a luxury home from home - hence the dishwasher and washing machine and a large dining table with seating for 6

They have provided lovely big mugs along with a sugar bowl and milk jug! I have been using the cafetire for brewing tea.

Deshasafraisy Thu 22-Feb-18 11:02:49

Kitchens are always under equipped or equipped with cheap inefficient crap in self catering places.
I always take my own essentials. This includes
Tea pot
Knives
Chopping board
Grater
Corkscrew
Sieve
Decent wine glasses
Frying pan.

MaxPepsi Thu 22-Feb-18 11:06:23

Large wine glasses. No one seems to ever provide them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: