Talk

Advanced search

To ask what would your ideal home be like?

(48 Posts)
Joey1471 Wed 21-Feb-18 23:32:08

So I was reading about jobs and what peoples ideal jobs would be so thought I would start one about homes , what would your ideal home , no limit to budget

I would have a mansion with an indoor and outdoor swimming pool and it would be just out of town

cafenoirbiscuit Wed 21-Feb-18 23:34:51

Old, quirky, not haunted, with a hobby room just for me. And a triple garage so I can keep a fun car just for summer

Bloodybridget Wed 21-Feb-18 23:36:47

Modern, architect designed, very eco friendly, no more than two floors, plenty of light, wonderful views.

bellabasset Wed 21-Feb-18 23:44:29

Classic Georgian simple house, not overly large. Big kitchen leading to dining area/sitting. Formal dining room, small drawing room, conservatory, 4 beds. Triple garage with guest suite, quiet country area near the sea just within walking distance of the town

A lovely garden perhaps with a summer house

SugarMiceInTheRain Wed 21-Feb-18 23:49:29

5 bedrooms, a music room, games room, utility plus all the usual rooms. Wouldn't want a huge house, too much cleaning!!

Aquamarine1029 Thu 22-Feb-18 01:06:54

I have always dreamed of building a home that has a completely enclosed garden in the middle of the design which could be accessed by every room on the perimeter. I could walk from my master bedroom, through the garden, and go to the kitchen, living room, whatever. No dealing with nosy neighbours!

LellyMcKelly Thu 22-Feb-18 01:08:14

My friend has the full works - indoor and outdoor pool, wine cellar, cinema room, boot room, 6 bedrooms, etc. The only thing I envied was the designated laundry room. I’d have that first, and someone else to do it!

TheJoyOfSox Thu 22-Feb-18 01:18:11

Old with lots of original features like ceiling Rose, open fires in pretty fire places, stripped wood flooring, a pantry in the newly remodelled and thoughtfully designed kitchen, new bathrooms and shower rooms, bay window, pantry, and a large master bedroom with walk in wardrobe . Mature gardens and a cellar.

I thought I had simple tastes, realise I have a huge wish list. 🙄

BillyCongo Thu 22-Feb-18 06:25:41

Country style farm house, 4 bedrooms, big kitchen, big utility room/boot room/laundry, porch, separate annex for the in-laws to stay in, double garage, 4 acres and stables. Large garden with patio/outside dining area and veggie plot.

treaclesoda Thu 22-Feb-18 06:31:26

Not huge, new build, eco friendly with low running costs. Four bedrooms, and three living rooms. Quirky layout, not just a box. On a hill with lovely views. Possibly a bungalow, because my youngest child finds it hard to settle at night upstairs but would be fine if the living room was on the same level. Lots of light.

Fosterdog123 Thu 22-Feb-18 06:37:23

Small and gorgeous with mod cons (integral sound system throughout, great heating and cooling systems, fabulous wet room) and state of the art security (and a panic room) plus a lot of land and a heated outdoor infinity pool!

PumpernickleInaWarehouse Thu 22-Feb-18 10:42:13

Big old boy try style farmhouse that has been done up semi modern inside....think cream/mink/antique sort of style.
Completely rural and ideally near or on it's own lake.

AmiU Thu 22-Feb-18 12:33:08

A modern Eco-friendly home in West London with loads of built in storage and easy to maintain finishes. Not fussed about large/formal living or dining but I'd have a state of the art kitchen with every gadget in the world

GrannyGrissle Thu 22-Feb-18 13:04:30

A shed with a log burner in the middle of nowhere. Have lived this life before and will again once DD flies the 2 up 2 down terrace grin

KingLooieCatz Thu 22-Feb-18 13:08:18

You're all wrong, it has to be a tree house in the Ewok village.

londonpia Thu 22-Feb-18 13:23:18

Five double bedrooms, two ensuite. One bathroom downstairs.
Large open plan kitchen with big farmhouse type table. French doors that open up into a big garden. Kids area for football and playhouse, heated pool. patio area for bbq and summer nights. Hot tub, a couple of hammocks.
Large living room with huge tv. Cellar with wine, and a man cave for the boys to play on the computer/table football. Also a home gym area.
Large airy and light loft conversion with huge beanbags where we go to chill out.
Lots of beams, open fires, but with a modern twist.

Bluebell878275 Thu 22-Feb-18 13:35:06

Well if our dream comes true and we manage to move to the States then this will be similar to the house my husband wants to build. Must haves: A round window to the attic along with the creaky door from the kitchen at the back smile

PeerieBreeks Thu 22-Feb-18 13:38:21

A small hobbit hole

iklboo Thu 22-Feb-18 13:48:22

I would really like a room I could turn into a library with a comfy reading nook under the window, a coffee machine and a well stocked bar. A great sound system too.

Cats most welcome.

DH would want a gym with all the equipment he likes.

DS (well, DH as well) would want a Lego room and a gaming room.

Nice kitchen with a range cooker (not an Aga though, sorry).

Conservatory for leisurely weekend breakfasts.

Medium garden with nice part covered seating area, patio, BBQ.

TheresSomebodyAtTheDoor Thu 22-Feb-18 13:56:16

2 story L shaped oak framed home with seeden roof. Large light landing upstairs, with 5 bedrooms. 2 en-suite and 3 others with moveable walls so girls xan share for now if they like. A soaking room for any awkward space where there's no windows for just a bath (and space for candles.
A laundry room upstairs too.
Downstairs a large family room which includes a smallish, functional kitchen, with a larder and utility offshoot. A wall dedicated for us all to have desk space, where heights of desks are changeable to adapt with us. A 'U' shaped sofa also.
A separate snug. A boot room and a garage.

If it was complete dream house there would also be an indoor and outdoor pool with a chute from the en suites to each!!

PlanNumber Thu 22-Feb-18 13:59:17

I want a small but perfectly formed luxury flat. Something where all the fittings at top quality and the design is well thought out so the space really works. However, it needs to be a stand alone, detached unit (i.e. not a flat at all) with a small but beautiful courtyard garden.

HarrietSchulenberg Thu 22-Feb-18 14:03:26

Somewhere with enough bedrooms for all of us plus a spare. A laundry room, huge kitchen, sitting room, small study/studio just for me and large garden with a yard and a huge shed.
And it MUST be by the sea.
If that's not possible I'd like a lighthouse on my own tiny island.

MissClareRemembers Thu 22-Feb-18 14:05:07

1930s house with a storm porch and original front door. Storm porch is vital so I can stock logs there for my log burner.
Log burner in my living room. Bay window where the Christmas Tree stands.
Stripped floors.
Open plan kitchen diner. Grey painted wood units. No wall units but a bank of tall larder style units.
Kitchen island or peninsula unit with stools ( definitely NOT those gas ones that swoosh up and down. Hate those!)
Crittal style patio doors opening onto medium sized garden.
Downstairs toilet decorated with really nice wallpaper.
Original internal doors.
3 bedrooms plus a study.

Our house actually has a few of these things but that is my dream list.

Bekabeech Thu 22-Feb-18 14:05:45

I want a 5 bedroom + house, with at least 2 ensuites and a massive family bathroom, plus downstairs cloakroom with shower. It would have at least receptions one for the Grand Piano, and one for the family to watch TV etc. A large kitchen big enough for a table. A study and a utility room/boot room. It would have a garage and a basement, the latter dry lined and with shelving and storage, if it also has room for a games/den area so much the better. Oh and also a book snug, with bookshelves all over the walls and comfy seating, and a cosy feel. The garage should take 2 proper sized cars. There would also be an indoor swimming pool and gym complex. It would be surrounded by gardens, and ideally in the countryside, trees and beach would be perfect. Ideally there would be some land available, maybe a paddock and some stables. A few holiday cottages/flats or potential for them would be nice too.
And it would have character - so not look like an oversized estate house.
But also be convenient for public transport, ideally walkable to a shop, pub church etc. With a reasonable sized town/city close with lots of arts, theatre etc.

LuxuryMilk Thu 22-Feb-18 14:08:45

Old and small. I like the style of Victorian houses.
It would have a decent size kitchen and a cosy living room with a real fireplace (not a log burner, a proper fireplace) and would have random objects everywhere. Nothing would match and that would make it all perfectly match iykwim.

I’d like enough space outside to keep a few goats.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: