Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that 61 days in prison for killing someone is an insult?

(623 Posts)
Steaksauce Wed 21-Feb-18 18:59:50

In December 2016, a friend of mine, Andy Lindup was run over and left to die in the road by the man who hit him. He was 36.

The person responsible hid his van with its broken windscreen caused when he hit my friend and kept it to himself for a fortnight until he was traced by police.

Because he left the scene, that's all he could be charged with as other evidence (drinking for example) couldn't be proven.
As a result, he was given 4 months in prison and served only 61 days. For taking a life.

Andy's family are campaigning to get the law changed so that leaving the scene carries the same sentence as death by dangerous driving. The way the law is at the moment, there is almost an incentive to drive away.

The petition is here https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/208008

And some more detail about the case and the campaign from Andy's dad here: https://eveshamobserver.co.uk/news/hit-and-run-family-in-sentence-review-call/

Please sign the petition, this crime is tragically so common and devastates so many lives and the sentences given out are a joke and an insult to grieving families.
It's not the judges and the police at fault, the man who killed Andy was given the maximum sentence for that charge, it's the law that's wrong.

Thank you for reading and for signing and feel free to share on Facebook/Twitter/anywhere else to help raise the profile of this campaign.

Fintress Wed 21-Feb-18 19:07:43

Signed. A similar thing happened to a friend of my family's SiL. The driver fled the scene but handed himself in two days later. He was driving uninsured and most likely under the influence according to the police. He didn't go to prison, he got a fine and points. Disgusting.

Kittykatmacbill Wed 21-Feb-18 19:27:26

So sorry for your loss.

It’s absolutely horrible the way that killing (murdering? Maybe manslaughter?) with a motor vehicle is so institutionally utterly minimised.

I have signed.

Schroedingerscatagain Wed 21-Feb-18 19:28:17

Signed, sorry for your lossflowers

janizary Wed 21-Feb-18 19:30:49

I signed before but just bumping because I can only imagine how frustrating and upsetting this must be for his family and friends.

CoalTit Wed 21-Feb-18 19:38:42

Signed. It really is amazing, isn't it, what you can get away with if you do it while driving a motor vehicle.

SweetMoon Wed 21-Feb-18 19:39:39

I've signed. It's appalling. I too think that if you leave the scene of the crime such as this in order to save your own skin (drunk, no insurance, stolen car etc etc) you should face murder. 61 days is an insult. So sorry this young man has lost his life because of the actions of this piece of cowardly scum.

MyBrilliantDisguise Wed 21-Feb-18 19:42:19

I've signed it. I'm so sorry about your brother. What a cowardly bastard this guy is. That punishment is a disgrace.

BarbarianMum Wed 21-Feb-18 19:43:06

Signed.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Wed 21-Feb-18 19:44:40

Signed and shared.

Walkerbean16 Wed 21-Feb-18 19:48:12

I've signed. I'm so sorry about your friend.

chorusline79 Wed 21-Feb-18 19:48:27

Sorry for the loss of your friend in such a devastating way

Signed and shared. Ridiculous that this is being allowed to happen when someone has lost their life.

Snowysky20009 Wed 21-Feb-18 19:50:52

Already signed and shared

Steaksauce Wed 21-Feb-18 19:52:26

Thanks to everyone that has signed and shared and to those who have already signed after seeing my previous thread. It's much appreciated smile

TerfsUp Wed 21-Feb-18 19:53:40

Signed.

saladdays66 Wed 21-Feb-18 19:59:29

Signed and shared. Awful.

mamahanji Wed 21-Feb-18 20:01:03

Signed

shakeyourcaboose Wed 21-Feb-18 20:08:12

Bumping! Signed already, my own reasons on previous thread but am angered and appalled by the legislative let down here.

agbnb Wed 21-Feb-18 20:14:05

signed, that is pitiful, the punishment does not fit the crime at all.

Tookawrongturnsomewhere Wed 21-Feb-18 20:19:33

Signed. This must change it makes no sense... So sorry for your loss..

MOB247 Wed 21-Feb-18 20:20:56

Signed . Sorry for your loss thanks

CandleWithHair Wed 21-Feb-18 20:23:03

I had no idea this was the case OP. I’m shocked, and devastated for your loss. Signed and shared.

mustbemad17 Wed 21-Feb-18 20:23:07

Will definitely sign. Not a hit & run but my aunt was killed by an idiot who was in such a rush to get to the gym he was overtaking dangerously...a car came the other eay so he pulled back in & wiped her car off the road. First official death by dangerous driving case...he got community service & a 2 year driving ban 😡 people get harsher punishments for theft & assault ffs

MissingPanda Wed 21-Feb-18 20:27:18

Signed and shared

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 21-Feb-18 20:41:08

Signed

I went to school with Andy Lindup, he was such a lovely lad and what a terrible tragedy his death was

X flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: