Advanced search

Potty not toilet at Nursery.

(11 Posts)
Hillbillyhotel Wed 21-Feb-18 18:51:07

I’m fully prepared to get flamed for this, I’m not entirely sure why it’s bothered me so I probably am BU. My DS (nearly 3) mentioned today that he goes on the potty at school. They have three toilets in his classroom and his two afternoons they have 11/12 children so I don’t think the reason is that the toilets are occupied. Does anybody know why they’d prefer him to use a potty? He’s fully toilet trained, can undress and dress himself and absolutely loves being ‘grown up’ on the toilet. It sounds so trivial written down which is why I’m asking AIBU to ask them if he could use the toilet instead of a potty?

SundaySalon Wed 21-Feb-18 19:09:28

Have you asked them if it’s true? Don’t know about you but my 3 year old comes out with all sorts. I would ask them the situation first? I don’t think I would be happy with this, if he’s toilet trained it seems a bit of a backward step... confused

Ilikesweetpeas Wed 21-Feb-18 19:12:50

A nursery I visited was like this- in the 2-3 room the children used a potty behind a screen not a toilet! I didn’t choose that nursery ...

Ellendegeneres Wed 21-Feb-18 19:15:04

Makes no sense at all, given they’d need to disinfect each potty immediately for hygiene reasons whereas a toilet you’d not need to.
How strange. I’d be asking questions

Hillbillyhotel Wed 21-Feb-18 19:38:17

SundaySalon I haven’t asked yet because I wanted to check that I was right to think it strange before bringing it up though,I do believe him because he said he needed to go on the potty in the middle of Topshop today,no prompts or conversations beforehand.

Ellendegeneres this is what I thought,it doesn’t make any sense at all.

Thank you all so much for confirming that,if it is true,it’s a bit strange! Will ask them tomorrow.

Ubercornsdiscoball Wed 21-Feb-18 19:42:19

Is he just using the word potty but meaning toilet?

Loraline Wed 21-Feb-18 19:43:58

Novelty value? My DS nursery had toilets and potties available. Is your DS choosing a potty because that's what some of his friends are using?

SundaySalon Wed 21-Feb-18 19:44:19

Definitely ask in that case. It’s actually quite bizarre that they have toilet facilities but for some reason want them to use a potty? Surely the potty is more hassle?!?

BarbarianMum Wed 21-Feb-18 19:46:37

Lots of nurseries have potties as well as toilets as not all children are comfortable or able to use a toilet. It could be ghat your ds is choosing to use a potty.

43percentburnt Wed 21-Feb-18 19:51:52

One of my twins opts to use a potty for what I can only assume is novelty value. She loves a potty with a lid! She happily uses the loo unless there is a nice looking potty nearby. At the toddler group there are 4 to choose from and she asks to use them.

Hillbillyhotel Wed 21-Feb-18 20:42:07

Thanks everyone for your replies. I’m hoping it’s something of nothing and that he’s either invented it after seeing someone using one or,as pp’s have said,he’s choosing to use one but I’m going to ask tomorrow because he’s toilet trained,I want him on the toilet and it would surely be easier for them to not have to clean up hisendless trips! I still feel like I’m being precious asking but it just seems strange.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now