Talk

Advanced search

Does a bag on a chair reserve it?

(57 Posts)
pupchewsleg Tue 20-Feb-18 17:25:04

Context: I am waiting for DS1 in a busy seating area at gym/trampolining. There are lots of tables most occupied by toddlers/ mums. DS2 (8) and I usually try and grab an arm chair/sofa, there are only 9 of these seats in total, and read quietly. When we arrived there was a free arm chair which DS2 nabbed. Next to it was another armchair with a bag on it. I left it a minute or two then asked everyone on surrounding tables and sofa if the bag belonged to them. It didn't. I moved the bag onto the arm of the chair and sat in the chair. All good. 15 min later a man pushed past my legs ( I automatically apologised - very British). He grabbed the bag (which kind of hit me) and stalked off. He came back a min later for some nearby water bottles, and went off and found another seat (sofa squashed up with someone else's coats). He was clearly annoyed. Aibu? We are newish to the gym. Was the seat his and should I have offered it to him?

Fattymcfaterson Tue 20-Feb-18 17:28:54

I would say yes, a bag Definatly reserves the chair. Why else did you think it was there?

pupchewsleg Tue 20-Feb-18 17:31:27

It's not really what chairs are for though is it? There's not many comfy chairs. He was 15 min. If he had been back in a mo. I would have apologised (again) and offered him the chair. Or if he spoke....

worlybear Tue 20-Feb-18 17:32:44

IMO bums reserve seats.

Omgineedanamechange Tue 20-Feb-18 17:32:52

Yes it does, and at the risk of sounding judgey when my DD was 8 she’d have offered the seat to an adult (I.e. me) and sat on the floor, the arm of the chair, or even squeezed in with me.

Lovesagin Tue 20-Feb-18 17:33:35

In an activity/soft play centre? Oh yes. Someone tried to move my bag once and I may have growled at her.

CuriousaboutSamphire Tue 20-Feb-18 17:34:58

No! Bums on seats reserve chairs, especially in places like that, where a seat is few and far between.

I've never understood why careful placement of a tatty bag makes someone the Queen of The bloody Chair!

pupchewsleg Tue 20-Feb-18 17:34:59

I wouldn't expect DS2 to stand or sit on the floor, but we could have shared the chair.....

Iprefercoffeetotea Tue 20-Feb-18 17:37:19

For 15 minutes? I think not. While you get a drink/something to eat, yes (on the assumption it doesn't take 15 minutes) but not just while you wander round.

People don't like you touching their things though - or even when it's not their things, like a trolley. I was shopping a couple of weeks ago and a woman was looking at the exact part of the shelf I wanted to get something from. I went around the block, picked up a couple of other things I wanted and she was STILL there. So I moved her trolley and got the thing I wanted. She gave me a nasty look but tough. You don't hog the shelves! And in the same vein, if you want a seat you sit on it. With your bottom. Not a bag. Same goes for trains. Bags don't need seats.

pupchewsleg Tue 20-Feb-18 17:38:03

I am pretty sure he was not in the building for 15 min (perhaps in the loo). He's got a chair now, and not currently giving me evils. I will proceed more cautiously next week....

pupchewsleg Tue 20-Feb-18 17:39:56

You're right here might not have liked me touching his bag. The chair's comfy though, so not feeling too bad.

IveGotBillsTheyreMultiplying Tue 20-Feb-18 17:42:31

Unattended bags can cause a major security concern.

OutyMcOutface Tue 20-Feb-18 17:44:28

No. Chairs/tables can only be 'reserved' by prior booking. If the faculty does not have a bookings system then no dibsies.

pupchewsleg Tue 20-Feb-18 17:44:40

Good point. The place is full of unattended bags though.

pupchewsleg Tue 20-Feb-18 17:45:26

No dibsies.... I like it.

mumgointhroughtorture Tue 20-Feb-18 17:46:12

Isn't this like people who reserve sunbeds with towels at hotels abroad ...
Signs say you can't do this and towels get removed , is this any different coz it's a bag ?

I don't think so .

gimmesomeapachepizza Tue 20-Feb-18 17:46:56

Of course it does not, but as you can see here entitled people think it does!
The seats are for the people there who need them. You were there, you needed a seat. Why should you stand while someones bag sits happily for however long? Sod that.

Jammycustard Tue 20-Feb-18 17:47:53

I think what you did was fair enough. Quarter of an hour? Fuck off.

FittonTower Tue 20-Feb-18 17:50:10

I think in a place where adults have to nip off occasionally to parent then a bag/coat does reserve a chair. If I'm at soft play, or with one of my kids at a class or something I'll often sit down somewhere, leave my stuff but occasionally have to nip off to help one of the children with something. I'd be pretty annoyed if I had to go and help my kid on with shoes/blow a nose/dry some tears and all my stuff had been moved and someone had pinched my seat.

LexiGray Tue 20-Feb-18 17:51:00

Not sure whether bag reserves seat, think reasonable of just popped to loo but 15mins is a bit long.
What I really don’t like is people reserving a changing cubicle at the pool by leaving their stuff there instead of in a locker. I have been known to pile everything on the wet floor outside when no empty ones.

JAMMFYesPlease Tue 20-Feb-18 17:52:48

Well it would depend. Could he have been alone and in the toilet? He wanted to make sure he didn't lose his seat because of the call of nature. That's totally reasonable IMO although I wouldn't do it as I have no faith that my bag or belongings in it wouldn't be stolen!

And in can understand him being upset that you moved his belongings.

15 minutes does seem like a long time but depends on where the toilets are and if there was a wait.

Jammycustard Tue 20-Feb-18 17:53:23

You put clothes on the wet floor?!

SunshineAfterRain Tue 20-Feb-18 17:53:40

I would expect my 8 year old to sit on the floor or stand at the side so an adult ie me or an elder person could sit.
I am nearly in my 30 so not old fashioned but I was always taught elders get a seat first.

But to your question, no a bag reserving a seat is just plain rude and I would have moved it too.
And as you said had he spoke to you, you could have explained the mistake.

gimmesomeapachepizza Tue 20-Feb-18 17:54:25

You put clothes on the wet floor?!

If they have been left behind in a locker its not for everyone else to look after them!

Bramble71 Tue 20-Feb-18 17:54:52

Bloody cheek. No. Leaving a bag on a chair is incredibly rude, IMO. I'm disabled and if I needed to sit down quickly and a bag was on the nearest chair, it would be moved sharpsih.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: