Talk

Advanced search

Referring to yourself as a full-time mum

(371 Posts)
tiredmumm Mon 19-Feb-18 10:07:05

Hi,

I'm just curious as to other people's opinions but I was watching a programme and a contestant referred to themselves as a full-time mum meaning they are a SAHM. AIBU because this really irritates me, I'm currently on Mat leave but when I return to work I will still class myself as a full-time mum as I don't suddenly not become a mum whilst working.

I've heard it so many times where FTM is referred to as though those who work are not.

Thoughts?

Marcine Mon 19-Feb-18 10:08:12

It just means you're doing childcare full time, I wouldn't read anything else into it.

PiffIeandWiffle Mon 19-Feb-18 10:09:07

Don't overthink it...

It comes across as you having a guilty conscience if you get het up about it....

HollyBayTree Mon 19-Feb-18 10:09:39

It means unemployed.

falsepriest Mon 19-Feb-18 10:09:50

What would you suggest the contestant should have said?

Canwejustrelaxnow Mon 19-Feb-18 10:10:57

I think yabu but just cos you're ovetthinking it and seeing it as a grand statement. She's only saying she looks after the kids all day and doesn't go out to work. I think we only got the term sahm from America a few years back.

gimmesomeapachepizza Mon 19-Feb-18 10:11:39

YAWN. How many times does this have to be done?
Its just another word for stay at home parent, ffs. It's not a value judgement on you, you narcissitic numpty.

Skittlesss Mon 19-Feb-18 10:11:51

It means she doesn't work, but she thinks she's above those who don't work and don't have kids.

tiredmumm Mon 19-Feb-18 10:12:12

I'd of said SAHM. This is not a rant about them being a SAHM btw just that I feel if you're a parent working or not you do this full-time.

TheStoic Mon 19-Feb-18 10:12:25

We all know what she means.

Canwejustrelaxnow Mon 19-Feb-18 10:13:22

Unemployed is a technical term which means that you're actively seeking work and probably claiming. There will always be another box for homemaker or some such awful term.

PepperSteaks Mon 19-Feb-18 10:13:24

When I went back full time when DD was tiny I used to get really upset by this. Now I work part time it doesn’t bother me. I think I was projecting my own feelings of guilt.

araiwa Mon 19-Feb-18 10:13:25

Got a bit of a complex op?

NataliaOsipova Mon 19-Feb-18 10:14:19

This has been done to death! There is no snappy sound bite that pleases everyone. People can call themselves whatever they like; it's about them and not about you. I really wouldn't read anything into it.

Meeep Mon 19-Feb-18 10:14:32

People think SAHM is offensive because it's as if you're not doing anything except staying indoors at home being lazy.

People get offended at anything you say about mothering.
Don't be one of the offence takers. Let it go. It's not a judgement on you.

Coco30 Mon 19-Feb-18 10:15:03

Who cares what she referred to herself as.
Shes a different person to you she doesnt have to say what you would.

MistressPage Mon 19-Feb-18 10:15:27

I describe myself as a full time mum, mainly because SAHM doesn't fit the bill for me, it implies I'm at home when the opposite is true and we're out and about having adventures every day. Of course you don't stop being a mum while you're at work. But you are not actively parenting your small child for those hours, you've outsourced that job to someone else.

Camomila Mon 19-Feb-18 10:15:58

I've been a working mum, a SAHM, and a student mum....'full time mum' doesn't bother me at all. Just slightly shorter than 'stay at home mum'

Unemployed bothers me because its a) inaccurate b)undermines SAHP

NataliaOsipova Mon 19-Feb-18 10:16:26

Unemployed is a technical term which means that you're actively seeking work and probably claiming

Thank you! It is. It means available for and actively seeking work. Anyone who reads a serious paper, or even watches the crap TV news would be well aware of this.....

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Mon 19-Feb-18 10:17:43

It's not a value judgement on you, you narcissitic numpty.

😂 Comment of the day!

I'm stealing that one.

harlaandgoddard Mon 19-Feb-18 10:18:10

It means you are parenting full time. I work and don’t take offence to this at all. I’m not parenting my DD as much as a SAHM/full time parent is with their child. It doesn’t make me any less of a mum.

Allthewaves Mon 19-Feb-18 10:19:15

Hate phrase full time mum - it's just so blah

FranticallyPeaceful Mon 19-Feb-18 10:20:17

I’ve quit my job every time I was at the end of pregnancy with mine, so on both their birth certificates it says “Homemaker” lol. So cringe.

I always go back to work soon after (I work from home anyway) but this time I don’t even know if I’m going to quit for awhile because of how cringe having “homemaker” is on my kids birth certificates.

“Full-time Mother” would be a welcome change

PiffIeandWiffle Mon 19-Feb-18 10:20:43

I'd of said SAHM

So does that make you a NAHM??

PiffIeandWiffle Mon 19-Feb-18 10:22:06

I feel if you're a parent working or not you do this full-time.

Apart from the hours you're at work and someone else is responsible for the welfare and care of your child...... wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: