Talk

Advanced search

to think there is a plague of phone zombies out there?

(36 Posts)
Morphene Mon 19-Feb-18 09:38:33

Okay a plague is an exaggeration, but I had not one but two phone zombies walk out into the road in front of me this morning while driving to work, and its only a 15 min commute!

Seriously people, you know that moment when you feel yourself fall slightly forward? That's you stepping off the curb. That is the moment to switch your focus from whatever life-alteringly exciting tweet you are engaged in, and pay attention to the life threatening process of walking into moving traffic without looking....

Seeline Mon 19-Feb-18 09:47:18

These zombies drive me mad. It's the ones pushing buggies that really amaze me - just shove your poor helpless child straight into the traffic why not?!

Morphene Mon 19-Feb-18 09:48:50

Oh god - that's even worse....mine were both students this morning, so only putting their own lives at risk at least...

falsepriest Mon 19-Feb-18 09:50:43

Only slightly more infuriating than earphone-joggers who just step out into the road THEN look. Twats, all of them.

Morphene Mon 19-Feb-18 09:58:06

ohhh sounds like the earphone joggers have the edge on the phone zombies if they actually do look though...both mine just continued on their way only looking faintly surprised to discover a car right next to them...

I was going to beep one of them, but then realised they'd probably drop the phone in shock, causing them to have to buy another one, and so I would have contributed to keeping the whole ghastly industry going.

I wonder if 'replacement due to RTA' is part of iphones current business model?

I mean they have to do something once they have sold two phones to everyone on the planet....causing them to be destroyed on a regular basis is the only way forward from there.

PiffIeandWiffle Mon 19-Feb-18 10:18:46

Pff, YABU - didn't you read the "walking behind a reversing car" thread?

According to the MN Hive Mind, pedestrians have the absolute right to walk wherever they fucking well like without looking & it's always the car drivers fault.....

I refer to them as "lemmings" when driving through London.

Morphene Mon 19-Feb-18 10:31:25

I did see that thread - I thought it was astonishing...and you are forgetting that not only can pedestrians legitimately throw themselves in front of your car, but they are entitled to glare at you while doing so.

Lizzie48 Mon 19-Feb-18 10:36:55

One thing I really hate is when someone waits by a pedestrian crossing, for the world as if they're going to cross, and then they don't! I don't trust them not to suddenly step out in front of me. Especially as it would apparently be entirely my fault if they did step out in front of me. hmm

nickEcave Mon 19-Feb-18 12:53:18

I was on the tube a few days ago. The down escalator wasn't working. Woman in front of me stepped onto escalator without looking up from her phone and then got really thrown by the fact escalator wasn't moving and nearly fell forward. She caught herself just in time and proceeded to walk down the escalator continuing to look at phone and stumbled twice on the way down. My feeling is that she may not be long for this world!

LittleMe03 Mon 19-Feb-18 14:58:45

I have to get from one end of a busy high street daily with a double buggy, the middle of the town centre is full of these phone zombies. I used to swerve left, then right, then left again! Just to avoid hitting them.

One day I got fed up and I now walk towards them only swerving (slightly) at the last minute if they don't look up and move. 9/10 times they notice something moving towards them and look up and embarrassingly jump out of the way whilst apologising.

Unfortunately we can't really do this in our cars gringrin

correctpiece Mon 19-Feb-18 15:02:42

I was once STOOD outside a locked surgery with buggy and DH (appt for DC's inoculations, but place was closed, no note on door or anything) using my phone to try and contact someone to ask why, and a woman came up to me and started telling me off for being on phone in the street with a baby! DH, who really gets mad, gave her a bit of a talking to lol!

Point is, people do tell the zombies, even if they get it wrong sometimes.

Oysterbabe Mon 19-Feb-18 15:03:53

It's going to be the next phase of our evolution, only those with excellent peripheral vision will survive long enough to breed.

correctpiece Mon 19-Feb-18 15:03:55

*THat should read "DH, who RARELY gets mad..." lol!

Morphene Mon 19-Feb-18 15:21:28

oyster, I wonder if we will eventually end up with additional 'eyes' or other sensors on the side of our heads...

But then maybe I mean 'ears'....although what good they will do you if you stuff them full of plastic and 'music' I'm not sure.

Morphene Mon 19-Feb-18 15:22:05

lol correct I love it when a typo actually reverses the whole sense of a sentence <geek>

phoenix1973 Mon 19-Feb-18 15:24:37

I walk to work and my route passes the local college. Crikey the amount of near misses I've had from students who seem to rely on sonar navigation...😕

ratspeaker Mon 19-Feb-18 16:07:35

Someone fell into a pond at the Scottish Parliament building while reading a text, broke their ribs.

Morphene Mon 19-Feb-18 16:08:36

I nearly fell in that pond simply because I was knackered after climbing the hill next door....

MillieTant2018 Mon 19-Feb-18 16:10:35

Getting the train to work in the morning is so funny! I look around and everyone is staring glass eyed at thier phones. I bet they all have really bad neck problems

MillieTant2018 Mon 19-Feb-18 16:14:23

nickEcave To be fair broken escalators freak me out, I always feel weird and wobbly walking on them 😂 but if I had a phone in my hand I would fall for sure!

correctpiece Mon 19-Feb-18 16:20:43

Like this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zyRdN3Cubg

Beamur Mon 19-Feb-18 16:25:56

I had a woman step in front of my car today as I was parking, she wasn't even on the phone, just oblivious.

LittleMe03 Mon 19-Feb-18 16:28:56

@correctpiece

That's hilarious! grin

allegretto Mon 19-Feb-18 16:31:22

I agree OP. But the really scary ones are the phone zombies behind the wheel!

Iprefercoffeetotea Mon 19-Feb-18 16:34:20

They drive me mad too.

But my husband was saying he was getting fed up a couple of weeks ago following a lady who was clearly fiddling about with her mobile phone. Except that she wasn't. When he had space to get past her, she was walking along reading a book smile In days gone by all the commuters were glued to their newspapers. It's just the technology that has changed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: