Advanced search

New neighbours moved in today

(111 Posts)
MrsMcW Sat 17-Feb-18 22:54:13

New neighbours moved into the flat below mine this afternoon. My heart sank- they are three girls in their early-mid twenties, two of whom are students. Eight hours in and they are already throwing a massive party... music blaring through my floor and I've answered the front door 4 times to their friends because they can't hear their own doorbell over the music and so the friends rang mine instead.

AIBU to give it until midnight and then ask them to turn it down? My main worry is that I'm pregnant and due in 6 weeks- it's one thing keeping me up now but it will be a nightmare with a newborn involved too! If I turn a blind eye (and a deaf ear - if only) now, does it set a precedent going forward? Am I just being a boring cow ruining their fun? They've bought the flat (or rather, Daddy has) so I can't complain to a landlord.

Crunchymum Sat 17-Feb-18 22:57:29

How do you know two are students?

Parties tend to be occasional, screaming newborns very regular (at screaming obvs....)

clumsyduck Sat 17-Feb-18 22:57:56

Youl get a lot of people saying leave them to it no doubt but this type of thing really gets my anxiety going . Even as a teen I understood my and my mates need to listen to music and get pissed didn't trump everyone else's right to a bit of peace ! I just find it selfish

if it was me id nip it in the bud now to be honest . Since your pregnant tho just be careful in terms of an argument ensuing possibly etc

needmysleep75 Sat 17-Feb-18 22:58:44

Maybe ( hopefully ) its a one off house warming party. I would try to ignore it this once and then try being friendly with them then if it does happen again you are in a better place to have a word with them.

virtualreality Sat 17-Feb-18 22:58:53

They won't care. Sorry

But you seem to know a lot about them just the same. How do you know all the info?

RedPandaMama Sat 17-Feb-18 22:59:34

They've just moved in and it's a Saturday night, I'd let them get away with it this once. They have a new home and they're celebrating.

If it were me I'd get them a 'welcome to your new home' type card and put a nice message saying 'would love to get on and hope you enjoy your new home, I'm due to have a baby very soon so would appreciate peace'.

Although as a 'girl' hmm woman in my early twenties I kind of resent that you seem to view them as children and assume that daddy bought the flat. One of them could have an amazing job or inheritance.

Seriouslyscrewed Sat 17-Feb-18 22:59:49

We have a house on the end of my terrace (so one house between us and them) that seems to be owned by one young boy and he has about 20 friends (with cars) there everyday! It's a never ending stream of them God know where they go it's only a 2 bed!!

They make alot of noise, summer is much worse and constantly park cars in other people's spaces leading to alot of angry people in the cauldisac

Dd is constantly getting woken by them.

We never said anything when it first started a year ago and now feel pretty stuck.

I would mention something, but be nice about it don't go in aggressively. Hopefully they won't carry this on when your baby arrives flowers

Teaandbiscuits35 Sat 17-Feb-18 22:59:52

How annoying. I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask them to turn it down after midnight. They can be respectful as well as having fun. Good luck, hope you get some sleep.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Sat 17-Feb-18 23:00:03

How do you know ‘daddy’ has bought the flat?

Snowydaysarehere Sat 17-Feb-18 23:00:21

Drop a New Home card through the door tomo from Mrs +bump so they know to expect a baby some time soon!!

MrsMcW Sat 17-Feb-18 23:01:20

Crunchy - I know they are students because I went down to introduce myself this afternoon. I'm hoping it will just be occasional, except I remember having houseparties every weekend when I was a student!

Pickleypickles Sat 17-Feb-18 23:01:21

I would let it go tonight as its the first night they are there. If it happens again next weekend i would go and speak to them but nicely the next day rather than angry when the party is in full swing, just ask them if they could warn you before any parties as you are heavily pregnant and then reassess from there.

MrsMcW Sat 17-Feb-18 23:03:00

MaryPoppinsPenguins - the flat was on the market for over a million quid (big 3 bed with a garden). Bit out of budget for your average 25 year old...

slashdragon Sat 17-Feb-18 23:05:01

I'd leave it this time as a housewarming but if it starts a pattern you need to say something then.

TheQueenOfWands Sat 17-Feb-18 23:05:27

How do you know so much about them?

cestlavielife Sat 17-Feb-18 23:06:05

Umm you can't really ask for peace for your baby when your baby crying is going to be something they will have to tolerate..
But you can ask them to consider neighbours......isnt there a noise curfew in the leases for the flats? For parties?

Happinessisthis Sat 17-Feb-18 23:06:51

I lived in similar as a student. We threw a massive party to celebrate (the neighbours hated us) then we knuckles down and chilled out after that. We needed just a blow out at the start

kaytee87 Sat 17-Feb-18 23:09:16

Maybe mummy bought them it?

Op, I'd hate listening to other people's noise (which is one of the reasons I live in a detached house) so yanbu but it's their first weekend there so I'd leave this one.

MrsMcW Sat 17-Feb-18 23:09:24

For the multiple PP who asked how I know about the girls - I went down to meet them and be friendly! There's only 2 flats in the building, wouldn't you all go and say Hi? Gave them a bottle of fizz as a welcome present too, which I'm now regretting...

notangelinajolie Sat 17-Feb-18 23:12:13

Time to put yours on the market. Flats aren't always great for families and with a little one on the way - buy a nice house with a garden.

BookHelpPlease Sat 17-Feb-18 23:13:34

A house warming party on a Saturday night is quite different to a screaming baby/toddler for the next x years. And if you had lots of parties as a student why shouldn't they?

nocoolnamesleft Sat 17-Feb-18 23:16:17

I remember having houseparties every weekend when I was a student!

AskBasil Sat 17-Feb-18 23:17:56

This is good, you don't need to feel guilty when the baby screams for an hour between 2 and 3 AM in a few weeks.

PJBanana Sat 17-Feb-18 23:19:55

I would go down there tomorrow, not tonight, and mention that from now on you would really appreciate it if they could keep the noise down a bit.

Be friendly about it, but just say that obviously you're heavily pregnant so you really do need the rest right now, and would appreciate it if they kept the noise at a lower level after 11pm-12am at night.

If I were them, I would be reasonable about this and wouldn't be pissed off in this situation, hopefully they will feel the same!

ReanimatedSGB Sat 17-Feb-18 23:23:00

Don't piss on their chips this time - it might just be a housewarming.

And bear in mind that they will have to listen to your baby crying when they are having an essay crisis, so if they do seem to be inclined to play music and have frequent parties, make your first approach in a spirit of give and take not 'BWAAAH RESPECT ME'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now