Talk

Advanced search

To be embarrassed..

(40 Posts)
BLUESEAPARADISE Sat 17-Feb-18 17:20:14

To be embarrassed I don't know how to make porridge without using a microwave ..

how would you make yours for your little ones on a busy morning without a microwave?

I am too embarrassed to ask anyone 😳😳

Thankyou

Dizzybacon Sat 17-Feb-18 17:21:17

Put the oats in a saucepan with milk and cook. Just keep adding milk to get your consistency

FingersCrossedHard Sat 17-Feb-18 17:21:22

Can't you read the packet?

Psychobabble123 Sat 17-Feb-18 17:21:31

I do a big batch overnight in the slow cooker sometimes so itw ready when we get up. But microwave ia faster than hob for when you are in a rush otherwise.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sat 17-Feb-18 17:22:01

Heat milk

Add oats

Stir

Serve.

dementedpixie Sat 17-Feb-18 17:22:09

Does it not tell you on the box/ packet or Google?

theculture Sat 17-Feb-18 17:27:23

For 2 kids:
A pinch of salt
Half a cup oats
Half cup milk
Quarter cup water
Not an American cup measure but any old mug in my cupboard smile

On a medium heat until it starts to bubble (about 10 mins) then about 5 mins on a low heat. The amount of liquid may change with the oats but half as much water than milk is good creaminess

I have non vegetable eating DC and oats are a good way to keep them regular!

Thistlebelle Sat 17-Feb-18 17:31:24

Oats, water, pinch of salt.

Bring to boil, then simmer for about 15 mins stirring constantly (use the wrong end of a wooden spoon if you don’t have a porridge spurtle)

Add whatever toppings you fancy to serve.

BLUESEAPARADISE Sat 17-Feb-18 17:34:07

Thankyou so much everyone!

I know it seems silly that I didn't know 😳😳😳 but I guess it just shows how people rely on things! Eg microwave!

Onesmallstepforaman Sat 17-Feb-18 17:34:56

80 grammes porridge, half pint milk, half pint water. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Allow to simmer for five minutes, then serve. Makes two good cereal bowls full, sufficient for two adults

HolyCatsWhiskers Sat 17-Feb-18 17:42:13

Why wouldn’t you just google, or look on the packet ????

Daily Mail must own the whole of the mumsnet share option

diddl Sat 17-Feb-18 17:49:25

How do you do it in a microwave?

I'm thinking oats & milk?

So why wouldn't you just transfer that to a hob?

Cranberrywensleydale Sat 17-Feb-18 17:51:05

Oh OP! Once you've had it the proper way, there's no going back! Porridge done properly is deeeeelicious!

BoreOfWhabylon Sat 17-Feb-18 17:57:04

If you put the oats and milk in a saucepan and leave in fridge overnight it cooks much more quickly the next morning and is much creamier.

And Mumsnet would be a very empty place if people just Googled all the time.

FingersCrossedHard Sat 17-Feb-18 18:21:49

Totally with a pp - can't understand this thread tbh hmm

It's like the people who post on fb 'anyone know what time Asda shuts?'

Google exists for a reason.

Thistlebelle Sat 17-Feb-18 18:27:15

To be fair the OP has had a range of answers, some who you milk, some who use water, some half and half, some who start the night before.

There’s no “one right way”.

Asking on MN gets options.

Gemini69 Sat 17-Feb-18 18:28:32

hand on heart... I flippin love milky porridge with a dash of salt.. I have it every single day..... one of my kids insists on pouring honey over it... makes me wince but hey.. I love the mines so each to their own right ... flowers

Redinthefacegirl Sat 17-Feb-18 18:32:47

For ease (& added creamyness) I measure out a teacup of oats, milk and water into a saucepan just before bed. Leave in the fridge overnight and straight onto the hob on a lowish heat in the morning.

Nomad86 Sat 17-Feb-18 18:42:10

2 parts milk, 1 part oats. In a pan, heat and stir until thick. Add a bit more milk to cool it down.

Fannyfanakerpants Sat 17-Feb-18 18:48:53

Sometimes I use a cup of Apple juice and a cup of water instead of milk. Adds a whole new dimension!

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Sat 17-Feb-18 18:51:39

I wouldn't. Only things that don't need cooking on schooldays in this house.

NeepNeepNeep Sat 17-Feb-18 18:54:40

What is the point in typing a reply to say a thread is pointless? That's doubly pointless.

outofmydepth45 Sat 17-Feb-18 18:56:54

Salt?! Humm not sure if horrified or need to try !

Cambionome Sat 17-Feb-18 19:01:15

Who cooks porridge for 15 minutes??? confused

6 minutes max.

AnathemaPulsifer Sat 17-Feb-18 19:10:45

You can speed it up if you leave the oats soaking in milk overnight in the fridge.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: