Talk

Advanced search

To think it's quite rude not to say "hi"

(11 Posts)
Lyssamolly Sat 17-Feb-18 10:20:59

Landlord never says hi in messages.
Straight to the point. Short notices,when something needs to be done (like message in the evening about morning) that we have declined several times because had own appointments. We are getting lots of their mail (they have moved out this address 3 years ago minimum) even some important ones (dvla, etc) , I'm sorting everything and they are collecting these letters from time to time, I just try to be nice in general. Don't understand if that's just overall rudeness, me being foreigner or what)) we have sold our house and moved to this area year ago. Not sure we want to stay here so not buying another house yet.
Don't know how to give more details to stay anonymousgrin. The communication just feels very rude.

TheSnowFairy Sat 17-Feb-18 10:34:04

I don't think people who do this

a) realise how rude it comes across and

b) that they may get a completely different reaction if they were to be polite...

their loss wink

Lyssamolly Sat 17-Feb-18 10:59:47

TheSnowFairy thank you. Maybe that's the case

falsepriest Sat 17-Feb-18 11:04:29

My boss has a habit of doing this. Tends to breeze through an hour or two after I've got in (I'm usually the first person in, so opening up) and even after not seeing each other for 2/3 days, there's no "hi" just dives straight in with whatever's on his brain that second. Usually about these fucking pot fucking plants everywhere that he bought and dumped in my department that I'm trying to kill rather than incessantly water every fucking five fucking minutes when eh fucking thinks about them argh god this is therapeutic thank you.

That said, if he stated with "good morning falsepriest how are you" I'd just think he wants something doing haha grin

Lyssamolly Sat 17-Feb-18 19:23:59

falsepriest, grin

RespoDad Sat 17-Feb-18 19:27:16

Sign off with

Lots of Sootikins
LYSSA

Oooeeeerrrrrindeed Sat 17-Feb-18 19:28:59

You could correct them. "And good morning to you" or "oh, thanks i am fine". Maybe with a laugh as it might probably come off as arsey.
It was seen as an amusing quirk by my former manager she generally improved!

BeHappyMummy Sat 17-Feb-18 19:31:49

Well people aren't obligated to greet you....

Nyetimber Sat 17-Feb-18 19:35:07

I don’t usually say “Hi” in work emails. I’m not 21 and it’s too familiar usually. I’d start with either Desr Mr Jones or to one of the team probably plough straight in as we’re exchanging emails fairly constantly. I don’t do kisses, little smiley faces of similar to sign off.

It’s Dear Mr Jones /Dear Frances, Many thanks/ kind regards/ yours sincerely usually but too the team I might say Hello Clare, Hope you had a good weekend, ...... speak soon or many thanks etc but then following emails would be just Did you get X sorted? Thanks J or if I wasn’t a happy bunny then maybe John, Can I please have the promised report by 4pm today. Many thanks J.

TheJoyOfSox Sat 17-Feb-18 19:38:05

I have found I have sometimes sent texts that begin with facts, it’s only when I read it before hitting send that I’ve realised how stroppy they sound.
It may be that his mind is racing with facts, faster than he can type, that’s what I think my problem was, I just had to say what I was texting about iykwim.

MimiSunshine Sat 17-Feb-18 19:41:50

Nyetimber you’re kind of proving the OPs point though aren’t you?
You may not use ‘hi’ but you are still starting off with a polite greeting before ‘ploughing’ straight on after that so you obviously feel that it is courteous to give a greeting at the start of an email communication

But as for smilies and kisses, I do t know a single person who does that on work emails

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: