Talk

Advanced search

Tenant requesting reduction in rent

(260 Posts)
TattyCat Thu 15-Feb-18 11:42:27

Just need to check whether IABU.

Our tenant has rented for around 15 months. A few months ago, she complained of a damp patch in the kitchen, so we've had investigations and this has included knocking plaster off the wall, removing the radiator and applying damp proofing. We are awaiting the plaster drying before the radiator can go back on. Just as a note, the house is REALLY warm and this radiator is one I generally had switched off, or on low when I lived there as the kitchen gets hot.

Anyway, tenant has a dog and a few months ago requested permission for a cat, both of which are fine with us and we've always wanted to be flexible. Tenant is now pushing quite hard for a £50 reduction in rent because of the inconvenience of the work being done (albeit it makes the place better!). This work is costing the equivalent of 2 months rent but clearly, we also want to maintain the property so I don't suppose this is relevant.

IABU in saying 'no'?

TattyCat Thu 15-Feb-18 11:48:25

Waiting for plaster to dry before re-decorating, that should also have said.

TattyCat Thu 15-Feb-18 11:48:54

And so as not to drip feed, we are also considering selling the house.

Fattymcfaterson Thu 15-Feb-18 11:50:58

Your tenant is trying it on, you don't have to agree to a rent reduction

Hownow39 Thu 15-Feb-18 11:51:03

I'd say no.

Most landlords wouldn't have even replied to her request regarding damp.

You sorted it out quickly.

Would she ask for a reduced mortgage payment ? No.

Say no. She won't want to leave she's testing her luck.

Youshallnotpass Thu 15-Feb-18 11:51:06

Just say no, I wouldn't give her a reduction considering the cost of the work etc.

If she owned her home she would have the inconvenience AND the cost.

GummyGoddess Thu 15-Feb-18 11:51:27

I don't think you are, but I've never actually rented so I don't think my opinion counts for much.

jaseyraex Thu 15-Feb-18 11:54:56

Gosh, I wish you were my landlord! At least you've responded and are sorting it out as quick as you can. I've had a damp patch and a hole in my kitchen ceiling from a leak for six months now and landlord hasn't even came to look at it never mind fix it. Argh. Anyway, no I probably wouldn't accept the reduction. Think she's trying her luck.

TattyCat Thu 15-Feb-18 11:55:23

If we do decide to sell it, that's an inconvenience and would she then also be asking for further reductions? It's difficult - on the one hand I get it, but on the other I think it's quite cheeky! We'll be selling with tenant in situ if we do decide to sell though, so it shouldn't change.

Prepared to be corrected!

IamtheDevilsAvocado Thu 15-Feb-18 11:55:31

Guess it depends on how much you want to keep her...

Had she really been inconvenienced?? Or is she just trying it on?

The only time I asked for and received a reimbursement was when our entire lounge ceiling collapsed leaving a ton of plater all over our belongings.... That went on for a month and took 80 hours of our time to clean the several hundred books /vinyl /expensive hi fi equipment.

If you decide to give her a reduction - make sure you have an audit trail... That it's a one off for this month only.

May make it easier saying you will separately reimburse her... Eg she keeps paying normal rent and you give her the reimbursement labelled as such... (Reimbursement for inconvenience for kitchen wall plaster/whatever.)

Bringonspring Thu 15-Feb-18 11:56:53

I would say no as most landlords put the price up or don’t even allow pets!

TattyCat Thu 15-Feb-18 11:57:55

Sounds like I'm not BU then. The one thing I was determined to do when we let the house out was to be reasonable and to sort any issues immediately, because it's someone's home and I firmly believe that everyone should be able to do pretty much what they want (within reason, obviously), but decor wise and pets etc should be allowed, particularly if they are long term tenants.

IamtheDevilsAvocado Thu 15-Feb-18 11:58:05

The landlord waived the rent for that month... The disruption was fairly bad though... We had to wear hard hats getting our stuff as the structure was so bad

TheClacksAreDown Thu 15-Feb-18 11:58:16

If you are thinking of selling bear in mind that tenant does not have to permit any viewings at all. Given behaviour here I think you can assume they will want incentivisation to do so.

Why would you sell with tenant in situ? And why would that be popular with potential purchasers - aren’t you artificially narrowing the pool of potential purchasers?

CB1234 Thu 15-Feb-18 11:59:07

I wouldn't. She sounds like a PITA.

TattyCat Thu 15-Feb-18 11:59:27

She sold a house prior to renting ours, so I'm hoping that she might want to buy it!! At least she knows it's been looked after grin

Trinity36 Thu 15-Feb-18 11:59:36

If they receive any housing benefit, they may have applied for extra (DHP) and in this case you have to ask your landlord for a reduction before they will consider the application.

Either way, I don’t think they should get a reduction.

aaaaargghhhhelpme Thu 15-Feb-18 12:01:46

You sound like an awesome landlord.

Just one thing I'd be wary of if you're selling with tenant in situ is that most landlords don't like tenants to have pets. May cause an issue I don't know just thought I'd mention

But in regards to her demanding a reduction I'd tell her no. She's just trying it on. Sounds like you're pretty on the ball. Most people would love a landlord like you

DeliberatelyAwkward Thu 15-Feb-18 12:01:48

Just as hownow said - If she’d had to fund her own work in her own house she wouldn’t ask the mortgage company for a reduction hmm

I’d like to have a BTL for a pension income one day, but worries like this would make me blumin sick confused

TattyCat Thu 15-Feb-18 12:01:55

TheClacksAreDown something for us to think about!! I'll take advice from the EA on that one, but I'm fully expecting her to not allow viewings on account of the dog being there and probably needing to take it out for viewings. Now that is inconvenient, so I'd expect a request for reduction then!

Autumnsparkles Thu 15-Feb-18 12:03:42

YADNBU I can’t even get the landlord to do a gas safety and I have radiators that are not even (and never were) connected.

Most landlords charge a pet levy also.

It sounds like you are doing everything possible and it should be in the tenancy agreement that the tenant allow access and accommodates works as required so they agreed to it already. Unless there is a provision under this that they will be compensated there is no need to entertain the request.

KarmaStar Thu 15-Feb-18 12:05:57

Say no,she saw how fast you responded to her complaint and probably thought she'd try her luck because you're a nice person.absolutely say no.she's being a cheeky mare.

TattyCat Thu 15-Feb-18 12:09:07

Ok, fairly unanimous then!

The house is a 2 bed terrace and of a type popular with BTL landlords, which is why we thought we might be able to sell without the tenant having to move. I don't like the idea of pulling the rug out from someone - LLs allowing pets are in short supply and I've a friend who works in a rescue kennel who take in too many dogs because of this. It bothers me, although it probably shouldn't.

snash12 Thu 15-Feb-18 12:10:09

I think she is trying it on a bit - you're getting the work done!

We must be very lucky with our landlord. If we report something, it is fixed super fast. We paid an additional £150 deposit for our little dog and cat but she was happy for us to have pets. She regularly arranges for our gutters to be cleaned and has been happy for us to paint certain bits of the house. We have been there 3 years and have just signed a new 2 year agreement with her.

CB1234 Thu 15-Feb-18 12:13:35

The issue with pets are allergies for future tenants. That why most LL say no unless the property is deep cleaned afterwards.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: