Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect garages to sort my car in days rather than weeks?

(20 Posts)
RunYouJuiceBitch Wed 14-Feb-18 23:32:11

Or should that be weeks rather than months?

I'm sick to the back teeth of garages. And it's not just one or two; every time I try a new garage (because the previous one was slow), the next one is just as slow.

My car is old, so I realise parts can be more difficult to get hold of and that good work takes time. But it's been in this time for nearly three weeks, and I've found out today that they haven't even started the work yet. This is a highly recommended garage, which I have never used before.

The last three garages I used were the same.

Meanwhile, I'm having to hire a car for work (I work all over the country and have to travel at strange hours, so unfortunately public transport isn't a feasible option on a daily basis) and it's bloody expensive.

Is this a problem with garages in general, or just the ones I am choosing?

DeliberatelyAwkward Wed 14-Feb-18 23:35:17

What??? Those timelines are... well, unbelievable. How old are we talking? The car I mean. Something classic? And is the work big jobs? We did have a couple of two or three week jobs, but this was a big end bearing and an engine re-build. Things like brakes, exhausts, wheel bearings, welding should be same day or just over night.

DeliberatelyAwkward Wed 14-Feb-18 23:36:42

Oh, and one of those times we got a courtesy car! (A battered Saab which we took on a camping trip to Dorset grin)

SavageBeauty73 Wed 14-Feb-18 23:37:26

Are you in London? I use the best garage.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Wed 14-Feb-18 23:39:30

They may have their 'regulars'. Our mechanic is fantastic and will squeeze us in even though he is busy if it is something urgent. Find someone who loves being a mechanic though and who wants to tell you what was wrong and what they have done and take the time to listen to them.

RunYouJuiceBitch Wed 14-Feb-18 23:42:22

Car is 26 years old. It's welding this time, and they are having to strip the interior - but to find out that they have had the car for three weeks just sitting there is frustrating to say the least. hmm

It was in another garage for over a week last year for new discs/pads on the front. This is not a big job.

I just find that garages give me a date, accept the car on that date when I take it round, but don't even start work on it for days. Maybe they take on too much work.

RunYouJuiceBitch Wed 14-Feb-18 23:46:35

Savage no unfortunately not in London.

shouldwestay I was/am a regular at my last garage. They're very good in every other respect, just slow. I will continue to use them I'm sure, but I knew the welding would take them ages and wanted to avoid that - hence I took it to this new place which has been recommended to me by a few people. Fat lot of good that did me!

I'm sure the quality of their work will be good; I'm just frustrated by things taking so long I guess.

Coulddowithanap Wed 14-Feb-18 23:51:52

Did you ask how long the job would take when you took it in?

RunYouJuiceBitch Thu 15-Feb-18 00:52:36

Coulddowithanap

They took it in a few Thursdays ago and said they hoped to have it back by the following Monday evening.

They then rang a couple of days later to say it they'd stripped it down and the job was bigger than they'd thought - fair enough - so they'd have it done by the beginning of this week.

Heard nothing, so rang them today and they've not even started it. hmm It's now going to be end of next week/beginning of the week after.

piknmixer Thu 15-Feb-18 00:59:26

Trying to be gentle here but is it time to get a new car?

My 20 year old (much-loved, but only by me and enthusiasts) car is being usurped tomorrow by a very sensible 1.5 diesel that will do three times MPG.

WeBuyAnyCar have offered me £50 for my scrapper, despite it being a luxury model with nine months MOT. But the new one will save me over £100 a month easily in fuel, tax and insurance.

Sometimes you have to say goodbye and be sensible about running costs and repairs, however hard it might be. That amount of welding does sound pretty extensive.

RunYouJuiceBitch Thu 15-Feb-18 01:17:43

piknmixer

Cost isn't an issue - I pay for whatever it needs. It's the time taken for repairs that drives me mad.

But I understand what you're saying, and I do realise that it's going to become increasingly difficult to find garages that will even agree to work on the car because of its age. This is why I'm genuinely wondering if IABU by expecting a quicker turnaround.

I think I should consider investing in a welder and some lessons at this rate. blush

RunYouJuiceBitch Thu 15-Feb-18 01:20:29

Sorry, meant to add:

I am sensible with bodywork - I realise that a point can be reached where there really is no point in attempting a repair, even with all the money and time in the world. Been there and done that in the past.

This car is not near that point at this time.

piknmixer Thu 15-Feb-18 01:24:57

I'm intrigued. What make/model is it?

RunYouJuiceBitch Thu 15-Feb-18 01:28:01

That's a bit outing! grin

It's a Ford.

piknmixer Thu 15-Feb-18 01:31:03

Haha. I think I've guessed grin

Mine's potentially going to be given away after the weekend. I couldn't bear to scrap him when he could be a runaround for someone. Private plate will get me £350 though which is a bonus.

RunYouJuiceBitch Thu 15-Feb-18 01:32:00

I'm sorry you're saying goodbye to an old friend!

DeliberatelyAwkward Thu 15-Feb-18 09:02:33

The old fords I wished I’d never let go of ♥️ I didn’t let go of one... I’ve a 25yr old fiesta slowly disintergrating in my DFs garden that I’ve promised myself I’ll restore next year blush

Are you using local independents, or a national chain? The later shouldn’t take that long at all and contact should absolutely be made to customer services. Local garages though... d’argh. I agree it’s a bit of a lottery, and you’ve been really blumin unlucky sad

meredintofpandiculation Thu 15-Feb-18 09:13:04

Find a garage that doesn't have much parking space? Mine is ever so keen to get my car out of his way as soon as possible, quite upset if he has to keep it overnight.

RunYouJuiceBitch Thu 15-Feb-18 20:21:52

They're independents, so I guess it really is a lottery. I only tend to use chains for tyres and tracking.

They didn't answer the phone today (tried three times) so I guess they're busy doing something!

RunYouJuiceBitch Thu 22-Feb-18 17:25:11

Still no progress. I'm going to call them tomorrow and unless I hear something extremely positive I might go postal on them.

They responded to a positive review on their FB page three weeks ago (around the same time they took in my car) saying they appreciate how important it is to get customers' cars back promptly so I will be mentioning that and how disappointed I am.

I'm a fair, patient and reasonable person, and would never be vindictive enough to leave a bad FB review, but I think I get the piss taken out of me for not being demanding enough.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: