Talk

Advanced search

To wish that people wouldn't keep name changing!

(127 Posts)
Huskylover1 Wed 14-Feb-18 23:20:57

I have seen some brilliant posters on here. The women, who every singe time they post, I think "yep, that's exactly how I feel". And, when you are scrawling through a thread, you stop on that posters post, because you just know that she's going to say something brilliant. But, with all the name changing, it's totally lost. How are we meant to feel a bond to the other users on MN, when name changing keeps losing the connection? And there's no need for it!

RoseWhiteTips Wed 14-Feb-18 23:21:45

I have thought so too.

RoseWhiteTips Wed 14-Feb-18 23:22:13

It disrupts continuity.

WorraLiberty Wed 14-Feb-18 23:26:04

I feel the same. It's kind of 'cosy' when you see familiar names, even if you rarely agree with them.

I completely understand why people do it though, if they post about personal problems etc.

I really don't understand those who do it just because they think people will disagree with what they're saying or because they want to post a goady thread.

MNHQ do seem to let people abuse the NC function in that way.

Huskylover1 Wed 14-Feb-18 23:29:43

WorraLiberty you are not a name changer and I love that about you (and your posts)!

DreamyMcDreamy Wed 14-Feb-18 23:29:44

I've been an actively vocal poster for years, but I do NC after several months or so.
Just for the fact I like to be anonymous on here, and too many posts under the same name and people can put two and two together! smile
Not that it really matters I suppose, as they'd only ever find out what I had for my tea or that the kids were doing my head in and they probably know that anyway. grin
It's good that you can name change though as if you have a problem you really want to talk about and have noone to talk to in RL it's easy to do it under a brand new name.

Huskylover1 Wed 14-Feb-18 23:30:24

And I always have you pegged as from Liverpool (?)

Huskylover1 Wed 14-Feb-18 23:31:33

But here's the thing dreamy I don't remember you at all. sad

DreamyMcDreamy Wed 14-Feb-18 23:31:47

WorraLiberty you are not a name changer and I love that about you (and your posts)!

Yeah, I recognise Worra and usually agree on most things and think talks sense grin
Sometimes a voice of common sense in threads full of WTF.

DreamyMcDreamy Wed 14-Feb-18 23:33:05

But here's the thing dreamy I don't remember you at all.

sad I name change every few months and never tell anyone though so that's probably why. I won't be too offended if nobody knows me smile

newyearsameme80 Wed 14-Feb-18 23:33:08

You can't say there's no need for it, OP. Women have been outed on here, recognised by friends (and enemies). I was on a thread the other night when the OP's husband came on.
I like having the same name but I have realised the sense in changing.

WorraLiberty Wed 14-Feb-18 23:34:44

Haha thanks! grin

A few people have said they thought I was from Liverpool, because they read 'Worral' as 'Wirral'.

AnoiaUnstickMyDrawers Wed 14-Feb-18 23:35:55

I name change because too much specific stuff could add together and I could be outed. I've posted some VERY personal things on here, as support for others and when asking for advice - the thought of colleagues or acquaintances connecting it to me is awful!

DreamyMcDreamy Wed 14-Feb-18 23:36:12

I hear Worra Liberty!! in that Nanna Catherine Tate way.

sixteenapples Wed 14-Feb-18 23:37:27

Agree with what you say OP - and I am also a fan of Worra but I name change failry often.

I don't want my neighbours to read my property posts or my SiL to read my posts about my difficult son.

Someone only has to think that something sounds familiar, do an advanced search and pick up number of kids, where I live, details about my work and suddenly they know it is me. I want to be anonymous!

TillyMint81 Wed 14-Feb-18 23:37:47

I blame the Daily Fail!

AnoiaUnstickMyDrawers Wed 14-Feb-18 23:37:49

I did like my last name a lot though, this one doesn't feel like 'me' at all

WorraLiberty Wed 14-Feb-18 23:37:59

You come uppa see me?

You come uppa see me aincha Dreamy?

DreamyMcDreamy Wed 14-Feb-18 23:39:49

Someone only has to think that something sounds familiar, do an advanced search and pick up number of kids, where I live, details about my work and suddenly they know it is me. I want to be anonymous!

Exactly. Best to name change, but if not, throw in some random changes to throw 'em off the scent.
New town, ds instead of dd etc.....

DreamyMcDreamy Wed 14-Feb-18 23:40:12

worra grin

MaisyPops Wed 14-Feb-18 23:41:40

I feel the same. It's kind of 'cosy' when you see familiar names, even if you rarely agree with them
Same. There's some people on education boards who are also teachers. I think we disagree on 50% of things but the discussion is usually good and it's nice knowing that I'll hear an alternative view rooted in some chalkface experience too.

I don't get the 'name changed for this but remember penis beaker etc. This would be outing' and then thr situation is 'DH has been texting a colleague from work and says theu are just friends/colleagues'. Super outing hmmgrin

DreamyMcDreamy Wed 14-Feb-18 23:41:45

DreamyMcdreamy makes me sound like I always have my head in the clouds and don't know what I'm on about. this is only half the time true
My next NC needs to be something more kickass. grin

Huskylover1 Wed 14-Feb-18 23:48:29

Maisypops I remember you. grin

DreamyMcDreamy Wed 14-Feb-18 23:51:01

I don't get the 'name changed for this but remember penis beaker etc. This would be outing' and then thr situation is 'DH has been texting a colleague from work and says theu are just friends/colleagues'. Super outing

Thing is though, if someone's DH had indeed been texting someone, it only takes the dh or the colleague or someone close to the situation to think "hang on, this sounds familiar." Then search a bit further on your name and think "yep! OMG it's totally got to be Maisy."
The "NC for this but remember penis beaker/lemon drizzle/supersoaker/Korean lady is in my garden" is because if you don't and then post something controversial or seemingly unbelievable as your first post,you get wags going "Welcome To Mumsnet hmm!" or some such like.

LolaTheDarkdestroyer Wed 14-Feb-18 23:55:50

I name change if it's something mega sensitive...but then change straight back not that anyone actually gives a shit I spose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now