Talk

Advanced search

Sexual ads in the GP!

(24 Posts)
HolyMotherFuckers Wed 14-Feb-18 20:42:59

So went doctors this morning and was watching the tv screen in waiting room because it displays names when called but has adverts in between. So comes on an advert or a woman tennis player with text and it says “Hi boys”

Queue next slide, said women holding two tennis balls. “Have you been checking your balls?”

Blah blah blah it goes on of tennis woman with a range of these holding balls pictures and captions about checking yourself.

Now I’m not overly PC but why on earth do we have to sexualise women even more in a family GP surgery, to get men to pay attention to their own bodies?! Sorry but I’m not up for someone’s sexuality being responsible for getting men’s attention to say they should be aware of their health.

It pissed me off

GertrudeCB Wed 14-Feb-18 20:45:08

biscuit

HolyMotherFuckers Wed 14-Feb-18 20:45:44

Sorry why does my post warrant a biscuit?

PossiblyPFB Wed 14-Feb-18 20:46:25

YANBU but I expect it’s effective...

GertrudeCB Wed 14-Feb-18 20:49:53

It warrants a biscuit because I lost a much loved Uncle to testicular cancer so I don't give a flying fuck if the WAY in which information about checking testicles offends a minority as long as the message is getting through.

crunchymint Wed 14-Feb-18 20:50:06

Agree OP.

Lilymossflower Wed 14-Feb-18 20:50:39

Ugh this is how men are. I agree it should be different!,

CotswoldStrife Wed 14-Feb-18 20:50:40

My primary-school aged daughter watched the TV screen with interest as a contraceptive ad came on at the GP's last week. In fact, there were a few ads that had not only me, but the other people in the waiting room raising their eyebrows at me and a few smiles secure in the knowledge that I'd have to answer any questions I was probably lucky that she was too poorly to ask any awkward questions!

Amyxmarie Wed 14-Feb-18 20:53:17

I think you're looking way too much into this. It doesn't matter how it's portrayed as long as it saves lives!

MincemeatTart Wed 14-Feb-18 20:57:08

If the ads are watched Byng one young man who then seeks assistance because of a testicular lump, then a slightly unPC approach will be validated. Better a sexy young woman than a young man dying from testicular cancer.

LittleMe03 Wed 14-Feb-18 20:59:42

Is it really 'sexualising women' personally, I don't think so.

A few young children may ask questions... but majority will not even understand or think anything of it so won't question it.

However, a few men a day might see the advert when sat waiting impatiently for their appointment

A couple of those men may pay attention to it and actually 'check their balls'

It could save someone's life....

HolyMotherFuckers Wed 14-Feb-18 21:13:54

I bet it doesn’t take a topless man holding 2 watermelons though to make a woman look up and go ‘you know what I really should check my breasts for lumps more often’. Women are taught to check for these things and we don’t need sexualised men to do it.

So honestly why was it necessary to make a woman’s picture into a sexual innuendo to get men’s attention? Surely they can be taught in other ways.

crunchymint Wed 14-Feb-18 21:14:53

Because women are sexualised all the time for the benefit of men, so this is seen as the way to get men's attention.

GertrudeCB Wed 14-Feb-18 21:15:42

What exactly is your problem, if it works?

Amyxmarie Wed 14-Feb-18 21:17:19

I honestly couldn't care less if it took a naked person to get people to check themselves, as long as they did check. Don't be such a prude hmm

norfolkenclue Wed 14-Feb-18 21:19:52

Probably because if a man came on the screen holding a couple of tennis balls, the men in the waiting area wouldn't look up from their iPhones 🙄. It's not rocket science is it? They HAVE to play to their intended audience...and (sadly!) in this case, they need a 'pretty young thing' to shake her tic-tacs to get their attention 💁‍♀️

goose1964 Wed 14-Feb-18 21:20:00

Men are more likely not to go to the doctor if something is wrong so the surgeries want to grab every chance they can. If I was with a child who asked about it I'd tell them in an age appropriate manner.

Alienspaceship Wed 14-Feb-18 21:23:31

I agree with you op. And I find it a bit depressing that sexualising the message is the only way they thought it would ‘work’.

Notevilstepmother Wed 14-Feb-18 21:23:53

There are so many other things to get offended about. If it makes men check their balls then it works.

Amyxmarie Wed 14-Feb-18 21:24:23

Are people seriously getting offended over an advert that could save someone's life? 🤦🏻‍♀️

GertrudeCB Wed 14-Feb-18 21:32:39

Professionally offended people get right on my tits.

Amyxmarie Wed 14-Feb-18 21:41:20

I agree GertrudeCB, wonder if these people get offended by perfume adverts featuring the likes of David Beckham topless, bet they don't 😉

DailyMailBestForBums Wed 14-Feb-18 21:46:36

Does nobody remember the breastcheck ad that did the rounds a few years ago?
youtu.be/VsyE2rCW71o

Amyxmarie Wed 14-Feb-18 21:49:15

Love it DailyMailBestForBums! Well.... is anyone offended by that? No? Thought not 😉

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: