Talk

Advanced search

To want some bloody discretion

(11 Posts)
Pinkmexicanskull Wed 14-Feb-18 20:36:56

Got interview for new job tomorrow. Am having interview with the businesses’ temporary COO, who also happens to be my current boss’s mentor and friend. My current boss worked for them for ten years.

Can I assume that no matter what I say this WILL ago back to my current boss? Or get in there first and ask them to be discreet? Or am I just drawing attention to it?

topcat2014 Wed 14-Feb-18 20:38:59

Is it a completely different company?

If so, I would have thought you could be reasonably confident of discretion up to a point.

Particularly if you say that your current employer does not know you are planning to leave etc.

Tistheseason17 Wed 14-Feb-18 20:47:22

Honestly.... they'll likely have an off the record chat.

kaytee87 Wed 14-Feb-18 20:58:37

They'll probably have a chat.
As long as you don't lie or badmouth anyone, you'll be fine.

eurochick Wed 14-Feb-18 21:03:35

I'd assume it will get back and proceed on that basis.

justforthisnow Wed 14-Feb-18 21:06:27

Totally presume it will go back and proceed with that in mind. The higher up, the smaller the world.

Applesandpears23 Wed 14-Feb-18 21:13:18

Does your current boss like you? If they don’t it isn’t worth going.

Pinkmexicanskull Wed 14-Feb-18 21:17:22

Get on well with current boss- we’re not besties but they respect me at work and I usually have pretty good and upfront chats with them and good reviews.

It’s a totally different company. They’re similar in that they are London based start ups, but are different products which is why it’s so annoying they are acting COO!

I definitely won’t lie or badmouth, just really would prefer this to not get back to my senior management at work. I don’t think they’ll make it hard for me but I’ve been so good about keeping this on the quiet it’s annoying it’s going to end up being brought to their attention.

f83mx Wed 14-Feb-18 21:30:43

If they are mates then yeah sure it'll get discussed - although current boss can't really then bring it back to the office if she found out in non-official/work capacity.

troodiedoo Wed 14-Feb-18 21:33:58

Definitely assume it will get back to them.I've specifically asked for discretion and have landed right in it. Good luck!

Pinkmexicanskull Wed 14-Feb-18 21:43:49

I’m going to assume it will get back to current boss. I’m not going to lie our inflate any experience during interview. I’m just not going to bring it up unless the interviewing boss does. Bloody nightmare! As if interviewing for a new job wasn’t stressful enough.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: