Talk

Advanced search

Financial agreement post divorce

(10 Posts)
allthegoodnameshadgone Wed 14-Feb-18 19:06:55

I got divorced last year and we didn't make a financial agreement as we only had a house between us. Nothing else. No joint loans. No shares etc. House has since gone.

Someone today has said to me that as we haven't made a financial agreement that he can now still come after me for things and vice versa ie if I won the lottery etc

Is this true? Aibu in saying it can't be surely?

MrsPicklesonSmythe Wed 14-Feb-18 19:08:54

You need legal advice and a clean break agreement.

Whatshallidonowpeople Wed 14-Feb-18 19:11:06

Yes it is true. The reverse is also true.

allthegoodnameshadgone Wed 14-Feb-18 20:41:04

Thank you. Guess I need to see a solicitor then.

I know for a fact he has one loan that he took out in his name before we were married.

Could he now come after me to pay this with him?
If so, could I just refuse or what?

What about debt he has accrued since we divorced/split up in his name only?

I wouldn't be libable for this would I?

beingsunny Wed 14-Feb-18 20:44:35

Technically yes, but he would have to take you to court and prove that it was although in his name a joint loan which you both benefited from.

Unless you are on extremely bad terms or have recently won the lottery I probably wouldn't worry.

allthegoodnameshadgone Wed 14-Feb-18 21:08:55

No I haven't lol I'd have to go down the anonymity route if I did!

We are at the moment on quite bad terms.

I am thinking more along the lines of when I re marry.

Would he then be able to make a claim on anything joint that I own with my partner, if we bought a house together or if my partner had shared etc?

CandleWithHair Wed 14-Feb-18 21:19:13

Clean break agreement OP. It’s not costly and could save you lots of potential headaches in future

Andrewofgg Wed 14-Feb-18 21:24:07

Yes in theory - he could certainly tie you up in court and usually you have to pay your own costs win or lose. Try to negotiate a clean-break no-claims-either-way agreement which the court would readily approve. Of course if the following week he wins the lottery you might be kicking yourself!

allthegoodnameshadgone Wed 14-Feb-18 21:37:22

Great.
I will research clean break agreements later and see a solicitor

allthegoodnameshadgone Wed 14-Feb-18 21:57:40

Someone always has the answer on here smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now