Talk

Advanced search

To think that Radio 2 isn't really demonstrating gender equality?

(136 Posts)
tiddlersuan Wed 14-Feb-18 16:08:42

First time poster but long time lurker (well since the 2am feeds started with DD at any rate which is when I mostly read the aibu posts)...just a thought that has been crossing my mind of late since being on mat leave and listening to radio 2 for large portions of the day; given the current dialogue about gender inequality be it pay or lack of women in top jobs etc, aibu to think that Radio 2 is pretty appalling given that of it's five main 'prime time' daytime shows they are all male presenters who have been in posts for years now?
I appreciate they all have followings of (potentially) different demographics and I myself like listening to two shows in particular, but to be honest I am pretty bored with some of the presenters and find the likes of Sarah Cox, Jo Whiley, Fearne Cotton, Zoe Ball and Liza Tarbuck both refreshing and entertaining (and yes I know that four out of these five have their own shows but they are either once a week on a Saturday or late evening/night time).
I'm not saying that the male presenters aren't any good at their jobs, but these women are just as good (if not better impo) and yet from 6:30am-7pm there are no female presenters hmm.
Just wondered if this had crossed anyone elses minds or if I simply have too much thinking time on my hands atm...

FuzzyCustard Wed 14-Feb-18 16:18:06

Today I listened to the Popmaster bit of what should have been the Ken Bruce show. It was hosted by Fearne Cotton (I think) and my DH and I both commented on how good Ken Bruce is in comparison.

I thought Fearne was annoyingly dreadful and patronising and would switch off if she was on every day.

Usually, I am all for promoting females in public life, but NOT for this. (Although Zoe Ball is pretty good!)

MissionItsPossible Wed 14-Feb-18 16:22:35

I haven't heard her on the radio but Fearne Cotton is an appalling presenter.

iklboo Wed 14-Feb-18 16:27:55

I always switch off it's it's Fearne standing in for Ken Bruce. She's got an annoying habit of turning anyone's anecdote into one about her.

Sara Cox, on the other hand, is miles better than Chris Evans (and far less up herself than he is).

iklboo Wed 14-Feb-18 16:28:22

*if it's

italiancortado Wed 14-Feb-18 16:29:56

I agree fuzzy. Ken Bruce is the only person who should ever do pop master, Fearne was awful! As it happens I also heard Trevor Nelson fill in for Ken a few months back - he was horrendous.

I only listen to Ken Bruce though. I find Chris Evans really irritating. Jeremy Vines show is terrible and Steve Wright talking/attempting to sing all over the ends of records really fucks me off.

DownWentTheFlag Wed 14-Feb-18 16:31:01

They are making Simon Mayo share his show with Jo/Sara (can’t remember which) from Springtime onwards. I love Simon and the Simon/Matt/Bobby dynamic won’t be the same. Gutted.
BUT I do see your point. I only wish they were going to replace Steve Wright with a woman instead of messing with my favourite show.

italiancortado Wed 14-Feb-18 16:31:45

I don't mind Zoe Ball actually, but I don't rate the rest of the female presenters mentioned.

So, based on me only really liking one presenter of each gender on radio2 I don't thing there is a gender equality issue.

Teacupinastorm Wed 14-Feb-18 16:34:32

@italiancortado that is exactly why Steve Wright always gets turned off in our house! DP used to like him but even he has now come round to my way of thinking. He always cuts songs off so early too! And the ‘impressions’ he does really are not funny.

Chris Evans is so self absorbed and I can’t stand his constant bragging and showing off. I love it when Sara Cox covers for him and wish they’d give her a more prominent permanent show.

PiecesOfHate Wed 14-Feb-18 16:35:02

I agree, OP. May have to wait till one of those daytime male presenters retires for it to change, though. I do like Ken Bruce though!

BestIsWest Wed 14-Feb-18 16:37:48

I really like Sara Cox. In fact I much prefer her to Chris Evans and I quite like him. I like Zoe Ball too.

ButterflyOfFreedom Wed 14-Feb-18 16:38:30

I like Zoe Ball and Jo Whiley. Sara Cox is ok - slightly less annoying than Chris Evans when she does the Breakfast Show (he is so up himself!!).

Ken Bruce seems a bit 'old' to me but I do still listen to him; I quite like the Jeremy Vine debates (though can't believe how much he earns!?!); Simon Mayo is fine; Steve Wright I would NOT miss!!!

BestIsWest Wed 14-Feb-18 16:39:01

I love Ken and Simon Mayo. Could replace Steve Wright though.

Seeline Wed 14-Feb-18 16:41:24

I don't care who they replace Chris Evans with as long as he is replaced.

Estrelizia Wed 14-Feb-18 16:42:56

Ken Bruce is wonderful so don't dare touch him but by all means get rid of Jeremy Vine and replace him with Vanessa Feltz who does the holiday stand in for him , I really like her on the radio , good clear speaking voice and asks intelligent questions without getting over excited like JV . Lisa Tarbuck on the other hand makes me squirm , she sounds so smug and everything is said with the same ironic delivery awful.

Waterdropsdown Wed 14-Feb-18 16:43:10

I’d get rid of Steve Wright he’s sooo annoying and cheesy.
I like the rest of them especially Simon Mayo. I also really dislike Ferne when she stands in for Ken Bruce. She constantly talks about her children/family.
Sarah Cox or Zoe Ball for the afternoon show would be a good shout.

numbereightyone Wed 14-Feb-18 16:46:16

6Music, which I listen to is not much better. They have Lauren Lavern in the mid morning slot but otherwise it is very 'blokey.'

PuppyMonkey Wed 14-Feb-18 16:46:33

Another one whose found it brilliant being able to listen to Radio 2 breakfast show this week as it's Sarah, not old Big Gobshite Evans.

Ken Bruce must stay.

The irony of you starting this thread today OP is that we've had Sara Cox, followed by Fearne Cotton, followed by Vanessa Feltz - but I take the point that on a normal week it's only a token female here and there.

Jo Whiley joining Simon Mayo in May doesn't fill me with joy, I'm sorry if I'm letting the sisterhood down there. She's soooo dull.

IntelligentYetIndecisive Wed 14-Feb-18 16:46:35

Love Ken.

Sara Cox when she stands in for Chris Evans is a hoot.

Vanessa Feltz makes my skin crawl.

Steve Wright aka DJ Silly Boi can leave now, please

Bob Harris is good. Knowledgeable and not afraidto be a 'fan girl'.

Miss Radcliffe and Maconie. Their show together was genius, but Mark Radcliffe just pops up in everything.

Miss Mike Harding. Mark Radcliffe is no substitute.

I do like Chris Evans. I'm used to the rhythm of the format. I tell the time by which news bulletin, which traffic report and which feature comes up.

The 'thing you did for the first time' feature, the weather, the newspaper summary, the sports report, the 'Golden Oldie', the decade smashers etc.

Liza Tarbuck is hysterical. She clearly loves choosing rare and offbeat records and listening to her crack up over listeners' messages is very funny.

If anyone misses him, Alex Lester is on BBC WM in the early mornings and does a three hour show from 10pm on Saturday nights.

The playlists are rubbish.

AGreatBigPonk Wed 14-Feb-18 16:46:46

Sara Cox is brilliant and should be in the breakfast show permanently. Chris Evans just does the same show he was churning out 20 years ago on Virgin (or whatever).

FuzzyCustard Wed 14-Feb-18 16:48:21

Totally agree with all those who think Chris Evans is up himself. He can ramble on for ages about himself and his bloody Carfest and is usually replaced (at speed) with a CD in my car!

numbereightyone Wed 14-Feb-18 16:48:34

You do know that Radcliffe and Maconie have an afternoon show on 6Music, when the Steve Wright show is on Radio 2?

IntelligentYetIndecisive Wed 14-Feb-18 16:51:44

For thise of us with an FM office radio and no access to the internet, the fact Radcliffe and Maconie have an afternoon show on a digital station is neither here nor there.

FuzzyCustard Wed 14-Feb-18 16:51:52

Oh and I feel the need to mention Elaine Paige's ghastly laugh. If there was ever a reason for getting rid of someone, that surely must be it?

FuzzyCustard Wed 14-Feb-18 16:53:08

Although (on a roll now) Elaine Paige's "break a leg" slot where members of the public ring in and sing in order to persuade people to buy tickets to their shows is painful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: