Talk

Advanced search

To think that Radio 2 really isn't demonstrating gender equality???

(5 Posts)
tiddlersuan Wed 14-Feb-18 16:04:38

First time poster but long time lurker (well since the 2am feeds started with DD at any rate which is when I mostly read the aibu posts)...just a thought that has been crossing my mind of late since being on mat leave and listening to radio 2 for large portions of the day; given the current dialogue about gender inequality be it pay or lack of women in top jobs etc, aibu to think that Radio 2 is pretty appalling given that of it's five main 'prime time' daytime shows they are all male presenters who have been in posts for years now?
I appreciate they all have followings of (potentially) different demographics and I myself like listening to two shows in particular, but to be honest I am pretty bored with some of the presenters and find the likes of Sarah Cox, Jo Whiley, Fearne Cotton, Zoe Ball and Liza Tarbuck both refreshing and entertaining (and yes I know that four out of these five have their own shows but they are either once a week on a Saturday or late evening/night time).
I'm not saying that the male presenters aren't any good at their jobs, but these women are just as good (if not better impo) and yet from 6:30am-7pm there are no female presenters hmm.
Just wondered if this had crossed anyone elses minds or if I simply have too much thinking time on my hands atm...

UpstartCrow Wed 14-Feb-18 16:07:32

Yanbu, you'd think they'd be able to find one female presenter out of 5, and not just for a 'womens hour' type show.

tygr Wed 14-Feb-18 16:37:03

Jo Whiley will be co-hosting with Simon Mayo on drivetime soon. But I agree YANBU.

Butterymuffin Wed 14-Feb-18 16:38:46

I think you make a very good point. All the presenters you mention are big names (I don't like all of them but that's by the by) so why are none of them in the major daytime slots?

AllButterShortbread Wed 14-Feb-18 16:41:59

I much prefer Sara Cox to Chris Evans. And Vanessa Feltz to Jez Vine. Liza Tarbuck is the shiz and should be on much more than once a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now