Talk

Advanced search

AIBU not to tip my hairdresser

(185 Posts)
wallowinwater Wed 14-Feb-18 15:53:49

I am genuinely confused about this... I have no idea how to handle this - do most people tip? Not tip? Also if you do how much? Do you just hand it to the hairdresser (feels weird). I used to tip and have stopped...

IrisAtwood Wed 14-Feb-18 15:59:20

I don’t tip. My hairdresser is a senior stylist at a very expensive place. I couldn’t afford the haircut if I had to 10% tip too!

TenancyTroublesAgain Wed 14-Feb-18 15:59:42

I don't.

UnsuspectedItem Wed 14-Feb-18 16:00:49

I do occasionally but rarely. It feels weird.

onlyonaTuesday Wed 14-Feb-18 16:00:53

I tip the young girl that washes my hair.
I never tip the stylist.

KarmaStar Wed 14-Feb-18 16:02:17

I think a lot of people do because at the hairdresser I use they have a large plastic box with lots of small drawers ,one each for each stylist and they often have coins and notes in.(the plastic is clear so you can see what's inside)

ShimmeringBollox Wed 14-Feb-18 16:04:01

I don’t tip many people tbh, I know that it may com across as being tight to some. I just don’t see tipping as the norm tbh.
I tip in a restaurant and that’s about it.

ShimmeringBollox Wed 14-Feb-18 16:05:53

Oh, and I tip taxi drivers at Christmas, but that’s mostly to do with the festive spirit.

FancyNewBeesly Wed 14-Feb-18 16:08:38

You only tip taxi drivers at Christmas? I always tip them! Always tip at restaurants too unless service is awful but I’ve never tipped a hairdresser

thedevilinablackdress Wed 14-Feb-18 16:10:28

Never done it

HunterHearstHelmsley Wed 14-Feb-18 16:12:02

I don't. I pay a fortune as it Is! I'll often give the Saturday girl a couple of quid though

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 14-Feb-18 16:12:45

I sometimes tip hairdressers.

Always tip at restaurants unless the service is poor. I never withhold a tip because the food isn’t up to scratch because that isn’t the waiting staffs fault.

I’ll tip a taxi driver if I don’t have to direct them to my destination (happens often) and they aren’t belligerent arseholes (doesn’t happen often).

ShimmeringBollox Wed 14-Feb-18 16:13:39

No, never really tip taxi drivers. I might not hang around for change if it’s a small amount, but I never really tip them. I just don’t see it as an everyday thing to do.

Snowydaysarehere Wed 14-Feb-18 16:13:42

It's £18 for a cut and blow dry so I always just give £20. Same lass every time as requested!!

ConciseandNice Wed 14-Feb-18 16:14:30

I always tip, unless the service is terrible (and this goes for restaurants, taxis, hairdressers). At least 15%

GreenSeededGrape Wed 14-Feb-18 16:14:36

Why tip a taxi driver confused

wallowinwater Wed 14-Feb-18 16:15:28

Phew, glad i’m not alone, I thought I might get flamed, I can’t afford to tip much or at all- often get a wet cut to save a bit blush

ShimmeringBollox Wed 14-Feb-18 16:16:00

Oh there is still time to get flamed.

ShimmeringBollox Wed 14-Feb-18 16:17:17

Someone will come along shortly to tell you that if you can’t afford to tip then you Simply. Shouldn’t. Splash. Out.

Thistlebelle Wed 14-Feb-18 16:17:43

A really good hairdresser is a person to be cherished so yes I always tip them.

Teacupinastorm Wed 14-Feb-18 16:18:35

No I never tip the hairdresser. And if I did it certainly wouldn’t be 15% shock

strawberrysparkle Wed 14-Feb-18 16:18:49

I never tip but always feel guilty about it. Things are expensive enough without an added cost.

OutyMcOutface Wed 14-Feb-18 16:19:21

I only tip at restaurants when the service is good/cafes when I can't be bothered taking my change or when I am visiting a country where tipping is the norm.

SharonBottsPoundOfGrapes Wed 14-Feb-18 16:20:24

As a stylist (especially when I was a trainee/junior) all tips were appreciated but never expected. I worked in a little independent salon to begin with and it was the elderly clients who were the most generous. The wealthier young professionals rarely tipped and our prices were very reasonable.

Crunched Wed 14-Feb-18 16:23:56

I know the rules about hairdressers and tipping.
(clears throat) "You should tip your stylist and any junior staff who shampoo, make you coffee etc. The only time you do not tip the stylist is if they own the salon"
That is correct because my lovely hairdresser who is not the salon owner told me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: