Talk

Advanced search

To think I might have pneumonia?

(21 Posts)
pneumoniaorhypochondriac Wed 14-Feb-18 15:10:34

I've been ill for a fortnight now. Really sick. Starting to feel a bit better but I've coughed up brown phlegm for days (stopped now) and I feel like I have something jabbing in my back like someone poking me on one side. Really cold hands/feet all the time. Obviously I'm not dying as I'm on MN and I do feel better than I have but I can't decide if I need to go back to the GP and say I'm worried or I'm completely overreacting?

Quartz2208 Wed 14-Feb-18 15:11:23

I would go back they are signs of it

JaneEyre70 Wed 14-Feb-18 15:14:03

When I had pneumonia, I had terrible pains on breathing out, and my chest felt so tight it was unbearable. I was also a little blue around my nose and mouth. I'd see your GP again, just to rule it out but you can get chondritis (rib pain) after a bad chest infection that can be very painful too. Cold hands and feet aren't a worry unless your nailbeds are going blue.

regularbutpanickingabit Wed 14-Feb-18 15:14:26

Definitely go back. It's not to be messed with. If you do, then they need to get the right antibiotics in to you asap.

Birdsgottafly Wed 14-Feb-18 15:15:56

Could be pleurisy.

Go back certainly.

I've had untreated pneumonia twice, so don't worry, it sounds as though you are in recovery, but need checking out.

pneumoniaorhypochondriac Wed 14-Feb-18 15:17:49

What's pleurisy?

If I go it will be an emergency app and I have a routine one for something else booked on Friday that I don't want to treat it like emergency when it's not iyswim

123MothergotafleA Wed 14-Feb-18 15:18:26

Not an expert, but please go and see Dr. ASAP.

RoseWhiteTips Wed 14-Feb-18 15:19:41

Go to your GP.

Auldspinster Wed 14-Feb-18 15:21:06

As someone who has had pneumonia, i'd speak to your gp.

SeaToSki Wed 14-Feb-18 15:22:03

Do you have a temperature at all? That would make it a definite go today decision for me. If you are starting to pick up, maybe leave it until Friday, but if it is pneumonia, then you need to get right on it with antibiotics, so its a close call

If you decide to leave it until Friday, do lots of steam, take guafenesin (active ingredient) cough medicine and vit c and d, get lots of rest and no exercising etc

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Wed 14-Feb-18 15:24:37

Go back to GP and say you are worried about the pain in your side and want to have a chest X-ray.

pneumoniaorhypochondriac Wed 14-Feb-18 15:26:18

No temp now but it comes and goes weirdly

I am on antibiotics from the first time I saw the GP but they haven't appeared to make any more difference than time would (she assumed chest infection and its some sort of penicillin she's given me) I have a very grey swollen painful uvula (?) no tonsils as they've been removed. I think she prescribed them more as a precaution than absolute certainty but I was blue lighted once with suspected sepsis that I wasn't going to argue against if she wanted to prescribe

Dipitydoda Wed 14-Feb-18 15:28:48

Both DS and DH have had bad double pneaumonia, symptoms were rapid breathing, high fever, pain in chest/upper back, chills. Dr knew immediately on listening to lungs. Both were hospitalised. pneaumonia can develop rapidly. Get an appointment ASAP.

MyToeHurtsBetty Wed 14-Feb-18 15:33:25

Why dont you ring the surgery and ask for a call back. Then the Dr can make a decision.

I was really concerned about your grey swollen vulva for a mo there till I read it properly. I was thinking what manner of plague is this!!!

greathat Wed 14-Feb-18 15:48:01

When I had it I had a raging temp, night sweats and couldn't stay awake. Plus I can't really remember but I was incoherent enough that my doc avoiding hubby made me an emergency gp appointment and delivered me there as I wasn't capable of it

SeaToSki Wed 14-Feb-18 16:04:04

Bacteria come in two types, gram positive and gram negative. Most antibiotics only work on one type. Penicillin only works on gram positive. Most pneumonias are gram negative, but they can be gram positive. I think you need to go back to the GP

AnaWinter Wed 14-Feb-18 16:07:08

Cold hands and feet can be a sign of sepsis or meningitis. Please get checked.

stayingaliveisawayoflife Wed 14-Feb-18 16:32:15

I had brown phlegm and went to my Docs. I was prescribed amoxicillin and erythromycin as I needed to fight two infections. Apparently brown is a sign you need one antibiotic and another for the chest infection.
I also had the high temp, whole body shivers and aches.

expertonnothing Wed 14-Feb-18 17:23:02

My father had pneumonia recently and was in intensive care for two weeks and on a ventilator for a period time.

If you believe you have pneumonia then seek advice quickly instead of writing to untrained people on an Internet forum.

When he had pneumonia he was grey, lost a shit ton of weight, couldn't breathe, had a temperature and, when placed on a ventilator, was at death's door.

Please seek advice

expertonnothing Wed 14-Feb-18 17:23:51

As an aside he was on caspofungin and temocillin which I believe are incredibly heavy duty antibiotics

Snape Wed 14-Feb-18 17:26:51

I have had pneumonia and it was horrible, I had a lot of pain on one side of my chest and I felt like I couldn't breathe. Even talking was exhausting, you need to see your doctor ASAP and get yourself checked out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: