Talk

Advanced search

Three days sick for tonsillitis?

(47 Posts)
PlumFairy2014 Wed 14-Feb-18 14:27:42

I'm a bit worried to be off a third day, but it has been horrific and I have quite an up and about job.
The Penicillin is working, but it still hurts to sallow.
It's a new job and there is no sick pay. I have only been there a month.

KC225 Wed 14-Feb-18 14:28:38

Poor thing. Get well soon. Tonsillitis is just horrible

LittleLionMansMummy Wed 14-Feb-18 14:30:20

It's more than a sore throat, it wipes you out and is excruciatingly painful. Get well soon.

Whatthefunk Wed 14-Feb-18 14:31:28

I was terribly ill with It, few years ago. I had to miss a job interview. Take care and get well soon

BeyondThePage Wed 14-Feb-18 14:31:54

DH had a week off last year for tonsillitis - he is a "plod on" type, so did not want to take any time off - but HAD to... sometimes you have to go with what your body is telling you... hope you feel better soon

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Wed 14-Feb-18 14:34:17

Tonsilitis is rotten - could you get a note from your GP if you're worried? Although you can self-certify up to a week so they may not issue one.

Get well soon - have lots of ice-cream!

SpottyGecko Wed 14-Feb-18 14:35:16

I've had tonsillitis- its horrendous. I was poorly from Saturday morning through to Thursday. So off sick Monday to Thursday and back at work on the Friday. I'm normally the soldier on type btw.

SimonBridges Wed 14-Feb-18 14:36:28

I had a week off with it a year or so ago.
It’s dreadful. Much worse than you think it is.

TreacleBoo Wed 14-Feb-18 14:37:10

I used to suffer from terrible tonsillitis almost every month for over a year until I got them removed. On one occasion my throat swelled up completely & had to be rushed to hospital. I unfortunately had a manager who insisted I could not even have one day off as it was “just a sore throat” & I should power through hmm

I hope your manager is more sympathetic. Only you know how you feel, so if you genuinely don’t feel well enough then I wouldn’t worry. Hope you feel better soon

TheArtOfNoise Wed 14-Feb-18 14:38:05

Hope you feel better soon, tonsillitis is the work of the devil.

Grumblepants Wed 14-Feb-18 14:41:08

Oh it awful to have. I got it so bad once I couldn't even swallow my own saliva! I had a little pot next to me for 3 days to spit into. Rest up and get better soon.

Wellfuckmeinbothears Wed 14-Feb-18 14:52:29

Tonsillitis is horrid, definitely something you need at least 3 days to recover from.

Hope you feel better soon x

RandomDreams Wed 14-Feb-18 14:55:19

I've had it a few times and it is much more than a sore throat, it wipes me out for a week at least, you feel like utter shit and you can't sleep, you sweat like a marathon runner and you can barely eat.

Three days is nothing.

PlumFairy2014 Wed 14-Feb-18 14:57:07

Thanks everyone. I called him and he seemed ok about it.
It's my first full time job after DD and I was so eager to show I wouldn't be taking lots of time off.....
Just hoping they are reasonable about it when I get back.

AnonEvent Wed 14-Feb-18 14:57:47

Tonsillitis was responsible for me, an (at the time) 37 year old mother of one, weeping on the bus because I felt so wretched.

It's not even the sore throat, or the fever, or the swollen glands, it's the sense of pure misery you get from having a pus-poison in your face (or just behind it).

Get well soon.

Sophisticatedsarcasm Wed 14-Feb-18 15:01:14

I had tonsillitis last year and it was a horrible feeling. Woke up with what felt like razor blades in my throat, just thought it was a sore throat making an appearance. Before I left for work I felt really hot so took my temperature .39.9. Took some painkillers and went to work. Managed to do the usual 5 hours at work painkillers and kicked in by then. All the guys at work told me I was crazy and I should go home. Got home and it felt like I was on zoned out. Managed to only eat saucy food with a bit of rice. And slept all the way through the to the next morning. Luckily had the next day off and called dr. She barely looked and gave me penicillin. Started to feel better over a few days. The swallowing was a problem. I was starving just couldn’t swallow properly 😖 thankfully not had again since. That was the first time in 28 years though

MichaelBendfaster Wed 14-Feb-18 15:02:38

I've never had it <<touch wood!!!> but from what I hear it's HORRENDOUS, and worse for adults than children.

I'd say you'd need at least a week.

MichaelBendfaster Wed 14-Feb-18 15:02:47

PS get well soon and look after yourself.

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 14-Feb-18 15:03:34

Tonsillitis is wretched, and bad tonsillitis can become Quinsey which is serious! In fact, the NHS Wales website suggests that you may need to go to hospital for treatment of Quinsey, then rest at home for a few days!

JoeyMaynardssolidlump Wed 14-Feb-18 15:03:44

You poor thing op.

I have had it and it wiped me out for s week. My dd had it really bad as s teenager and never seen her so ill. It’s vile. flowers

ShutUpBaz Wed 14-Feb-18 15:05:17

I have it now and I'm miserable. Tried to go into work yesterday but got sent home pretty sharpish.

Hope you feel better soon flowers

JaneEyre70 Wed 14-Feb-18 15:09:21

I used to suffer dreadfully with it in my 20s and it would knock me off my feet for at least a week - 10 days. I was lucky that my employer was very understanding.

Turnocks34 Wed 14-Feb-18 15:10:07

I am currently suffering my first ever bout of tonsillitis. It's horrendous, utterly and truly awful. I always just thought it was a sore throat, and not really a real illness, but I am so poorly. Literally this is the worst I've ever felt.

Don't feel bad about it OP. I'm on half term so luckily I haven't had to ring in sick. Hope you're better soon x

Fromage Wed 14-Feb-18 15:10:49

Tonsilitis comes in three forms:

1 - mild (sore throat)
2 - serious (very painful throat, fever, aches, hurts to swallow etc)
3 - kill me now (self explanatory)

Mostly of course people get type 1, and unless you've had types 2 or 3, you probably don't know that it isn't only a mild illness, you can be very ill with it too. There are also a lot of plonkers who think a sore throat is tonsilitis and think you should woman up and go to work. However, you can educate people when you go back. Crappy thing to happy when you are in a new job though - hope you feel better soon.

CrumbleBrag Wed 14-Feb-18 15:11:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: