Talk

Advanced search

Please come and share your stories of breast lumps being benign!

(46 Posts)
Happyland88 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:25:44

So they say 90% of breast lumps are benign. I’m only 29 but I have a lump and am currently being seen by the doctor about this, having a check up next week which will likely result in a referral to the breast clinic.

Although I know the odds are in my favour, I’ve heard some awful stories and I’ve started really working myself up. I wondered if any of you ladies (the 90%) could please share your stories of finding lumps and them turning out to be benign. We often hear of the people who have had the worst outcome so I’m imagining all sorts of unhelpful scenarios and it would really help me rationalise the whole thing. Thank you.

outputgap Wed 14-Feb-18 13:31:13

Hallo! Yes, had lots of lumps. All fine. Even had to have one aspirated. Amazing clinic gave me the results straight away. I actually went on my own to that appointment because my DH takes my breast lumps with the most enormous pinch of salt now! (If that doesn't sound too weird?!)

It's right to get it checked but no one can tell until they've had a proper look with an ultrasound or whatever.

Some of mine just disappear while I'm waiting for the appointments!

But don't be concerned if they refer you on the 2 week wait breast cancer thingy. They do that as a matter of course. It doesn't mean your GP actually thinks you've got cancer. Just gets you seen in decent time, so you can stop worrying quicker.

Happyland88 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:44:09

Thanks outputgap, that’s reassuring ☺️ I’m just trying to remind myself that one of these stories will most likely be my story too as the odds are that I’ll be in the 90%.

Changednamesorry Wed 14-Feb-18 13:49:07

my mum had 2 in her late 40s. both benign. removed and no issues. she is now in her early 60s.yes get it checkedf course but try and stay calm.

Queenoftheblitz Wed 14-Feb-18 13:50:15

Yes i had one in 2012 at the age of 49. I had a mamogram which showed a lump in my right breast.
I had a biopsy some weeks later. The doctor was sure it was a calcium lump. The biopsy was hard as i had to sit upright for an hour as they stuck needles in me. They couldnt get a sample and called it a day. They suggested i go back but i didnt as i found the experience horrible although not painfull.
But i nearly fainted when i saw all the blood.
I've had mammograms since and the lump has disappeared.
I wish you all the best x

QuilliamCakespeare Wed 14-Feb-18 13:50:54

I have a 'breast mouse' which is a bit of hard tissue in my boob close to the nipple. Had a scan and some cells tested but it's fine.

Poppyred85 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:54:53

Very very common, very rarely turn out to be sinister generally, especially in someone of your age. However, these days unless we’re really certain that it’s harmless, we refer patients to breast clinic for a check over. At your age that would be an examinationa and possibly an ultrasound scan. I see lots of women with breast lumps, refer a fair number and can honestly say very few have been breast cancer.
Doesn’t mean you won’t worry but try not to worry too much brewflowers

Floopbloop Wed 14-Feb-18 13:55:07

I went to my GP with one last year, age 35. Was referred to breast clinic "to be on the safe side" where I was seen within 2 weeks. I was examined, had a mammogram and ultrasound and was given the results straight away. Altogether I was at the hospital about 2 hours in total and diagnosed with a harmless "fatty lump" probably caused by my being on the pill.

Nonagoninfinity Wed 14-Feb-18 13:55:33

I've been referred to the breast clinic numerous times for various lumps and bumps. They have ranged from cysts (diagnosed straight away with an ultrasound), fybro something or other (benign lump diagnosed with needle sample taken) and a mysterious lump that they can't identify but have reassured me it's ok after mammogram and ultrasound. It's a scary time but no doubt others will be along with their own stories to reassure you. What I would say helped me to manage any anxiety while you wait is mindfulness meditation - it helped to prevent me obsessing about potential negative outcomes.

Louiselouie0890 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:56:07

I have a fairly big hard one that hurts every now again. I've had it ten years. Had a scan on it when I found it turned out to be nothing. I get it checked every blue moon but the last time she was nowhere near it and said oh this lump. It made me worry I wasn't checking very well. Turns out I have very lumpy breast apparently lol

Dinosauratemydaffodils Wed 14-Feb-18 13:59:59

I was about a similar age I think when DH found one in my breast. Saw the GP who referred me to the Breast Clinic which had me panicking as I expected her to say it was fine. Saw a nice Consultant with freezing cold hands who checked the lump, said it was benign and fairly common, checked other breast since I was there and then offered to remove the lump if I wanted but said it wasn't necessary.

I'm now 40, the lump is still there, still the same size and has caused no issues whatsoever.

Weezol Wed 14-Feb-18 14:01:13

I am also lumpy boobed. All have been checked. I've only got an answer other than 'some women just have lumpy boobs' for one - turned out that wearing a WonderBra a notch too tight on your wedding day can cause a grumpy lumpy bit.

UpstartCrow Wed 14-Feb-18 14:04:08

Mine was benign, and my family have a history of breast cancer.

Even if it isn't, the sooner you get it seen to the better the outcome. Let us know how you get on.

AllButterShortbread Wed 14-Feb-18 14:04:38

I was at the breast clinic on Monday for lump investigation. Just normal breast tissue that felt lumpy in the end blush

The clinics are lovely, I’ve been to two different ones and they are well run, comfortable and efficient with great staff, mostly women.

Good luck flowers

WhatATimeToBeAlive Wed 14-Feb-18 14:04:49

I found a lump when I was 18. They thought it might have been a cyst as it moved around a bit and they tried to draw it off with a needle. It wasn't a cyst and bloody hurt! Had it removed and turned out it was just a lump of gristle (nice) - it was tested anyway but was obviously benign.

Flynnshine Wed 14-Feb-18 14:05:14

Hi, Yes lots of lumps here too. All cysts so a huge relief. Echoing @Outputgap don't be concerned about the 'two week' thingy it is totally a precaution. I was in your shoes exactly a year ago, but the breast clinic were amazing, I had a physical examination and then an ultrasound and no waiting for days for results, she showed me the screen and explained what was there. My daughter has cancer so being given the 'all clear' was amazing news. I was also praised for going to be seen and not leaving it to chance, they would much rather see you and give you good news or catch something early.
Wishing you luck, and as easy as it is to say 'don't worry' I know you will so try to do things to refocus your mind while you wait for your appointment. xxx

AllButterShortbread Wed 14-Feb-18 14:05:47

Aren’t we lovely with our lumpy, gristly, fatty breasts grin

Gincision Wed 14-Feb-18 14:12:02

I'm a breast surgeon. Most 'lumps' turn out to be just bits of prominent breast tissue. Especially in a lady of your age. Try not to worry, it will most probably turn out to be nothing to worry about.

LineEyes0801 Wed 14-Feb-18 14:13:08

At 29 and 31 I found lumps (in different breasts) and one was a cyst and one a fibroadenoma (hardened tissue). My GPs for each and the breast clinic were amazing.

The second time round I was more relaxed (still a wreck, and it was 3 days before my wedding!) but the GP was brill. Before she even examined me she said - I am going to refer you to breast clinic because that is protocol and I'm telling you now before I feel it so you don't think it's because I think it's bad!

Breast clinic really reassuring. They examine me first and said straight away the feel was not concerning. Then for the first I had an ultrasound then they did a needle biopsy (not pleasant but at least you get reassurance) the second they could see it was a cyst on the ultrasound so no biopsy. The first lump is still there and it gets bigger just before my period so is a good way to tell when I'm due on!

It is so worrying, I know, but I recommend lots of headspace/mindfulness and keeping busy before and it is highly likely to be absolutely fine. Much better to get it checked!

OutyMcOutface Wed 14-Feb-18 14:14:20

My mother found a lump. They decided to remove it completely and send it for an autopsy. It was a benign cyst (but they did find s cancerous tumour underneath it when they were operating). But the lump itself was benign. She had lots of lumps in her breasts-cysts and all benign. Her cancer on the other hand was not palpable both times.

LineEyes0801 Wed 14-Feb-18 14:16:33

Oh and yes meant to say, both GPs also said to me not to worry about it coming in an 'urgent 2 week wait' envelope as it's just protocol and not because you need to panic (and it means much less waiting and worrying!). I've mentioned it to quite a few friends since and was surprised to discover probably about 50% of them also had the same thing so lumpy boobs are very common!

Todayissunny Wed 14-Feb-18 14:25:08

I've had loads of them. I've had several taken out using various methods and I have regular checks with the breast clinic. I have them removed if they cause me a lot of discomfort otherwise I leave them.
The first one I got when I was about 16. I took me almost a year to pluck up the courage to go to the doctor with it. I didn't tell my mum (too embarrassing and we had a very distant relationship) and went to all the appointments alone. I only told her when I had to because I had to spend a night in hospital after having it taken out. For about a year I thought I had breast cancer. No one had thought to tell me otherwise. It was 30 years ago though.....

Definitely make sure you get a referral to the breast clinic though.

janinlondon Wed 14-Feb-18 14:35:21

I had one removed - blocked lymph node. Totally fine. Hope this helps OP!

Lunde Wed 14-Feb-18 14:41:30

I tend to have lumpy fibrous breast tissue

However a few years ago I had one that seemed different - smooth not lumpy - I went to the breast clinic where tests showed a large growth 4x1½ cm. They took a sample with a needle and syringe.

It turned out to be a necrotic cyst - basically a bruise that had formed into a fluid filled cyst. It did not need treating and very gradually disappeared.

Member984815 Wed 14-Feb-18 14:42:38

Had a lump on right boob couple of years ago , had scan on it turned out it was just a lump that can occur it's made up of fat and is fairly common no action needed , don't stress yourself unnecessarily

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now