Talk

Advanced search

To ask do you pay for your own car or is it a joint purchase?

(70 Posts)
Rubyrose80 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:11:46

My husband is getting a new car through work everything paid for no tax or insurance. This has come in handy as his old car was on the way out and we were discussing purchasing a new car this year. The company car he will get in work will only be a small city car and whilst he has it for personal use too with small children it will not suit long journeys and he will have that car the majority of the time with him which is fine. I own the main family car which I bought and paid for myself out of some money I had been given. As we don't have to buy him a new car I thought we could upgrade mine to something a bit newer as it needs a bit of work on it and is 8 years old. I'd like to upgrade to something maybe 2 years old and slightly roomier. DH has said he has no problem upgrading my car but I need to be able to pay for it myself each month. AIBU to feel that as we are a family we should both contribute to the car especially as we will both be driving it? Basically when all the bills are paid and savings are put in me and DH are left with 700 each spending money to do what we want. The car will cost 300 a month to finance so I feel we should contribute 150 each whereas he feels I should pay the whole 300 leaving me with 400 a month and him with 700 then he gets to still drive it. Just wondering AIBU to expect this and what do others do when you'd buy a new car?

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 14-Feb-18 13:13:16

Definitely joint especially as it's the main family car.

WhooooAmI24601 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:16:34

I pay for my own. It's never occurred to me to do otherwise. DH's car is through his own business so it's replaced every April with a brand new model. I drive his from time to time and he'll drive mine, but I see it that he pays for his via his business so it's as fair as me paying for my own.

What sort of car are you having that'll cost £300 a month on finance? I'm assuming you'll use your current one towards the cost of the new one?

BarbaraOcumbungles Wed 14-Feb-18 13:17:23

We each choose and pay for our own cars entirely but then we both work full time.

In your case I'd expect the cost to be split but £300 is a lot of money if it has go come out of £700 you have left.

Brokenbiscuit Wed 14-Feb-18 13:19:08

Upgrading your car sounds like a want, rather than a need? Does your dh agree that you need a newer, bigger car, or is he just going along with it because that's what you want?

Rubyrose80 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:19:29

No that's 300 out of 1400. We both have 700 left so 300 a month is 150 each so he still has 550 to do whatever he wants with it.

LakieLady Wed 14-Feb-18 13:33:08

YANBU. If yours is the main family car, it should come out of family money. His car is part of his pay package, so he's already quids in by getting a "free" car that doesn't go in the family finance pot.

Mind you, I couldn't countenance spending £300 a month on something that can only go down in value.

Does he not have a choice of what car he gets? Most companies these days seem to do this thing where they give you a range to pick from. It would be far better if he got a bigger car, suitable for the family, on the company, surely?

NoHunsHereHun Wed 14-Feb-18 13:35:04

He will be paying a benefit in kind tax on the value of his company car, so it's not completely free and for some cars (though not this one going by your description) that can be a lot of money every month.
Do you really need to spend £300 a month? Have you looked for a leasing deal perhaps? We have a large estate car on lease for about £200 a month. How often do you go on long journeys? If it's very infrequently then could you consider hiring a bigger car for these?

Bluelady Wed 14-Feb-18 13:37:13

We buy and choose our own cars. There's no such thing as "family money" in this house.

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 14-Feb-18 13:43:15

Cars (as long as reasonable, no-one would be 'allowed' something that was very thirsty or expensive) come out of joint money according to need. So your car should be paid for out of the family pot, especially as it is used to transport DCs. If you didn't do that, you could drive a small car too.

How much does his company car cost him? Mine costs me about £200 pm in tax and fees for private usage. Plus I have to pay for all fuel and then reclaim what I use for work.

MrTrebus Wed 14-Feb-18 13:47:40

£300 per month?I'm guessing it's some sort of Merc. If not shop around look at different brands get something newer and cheaper and big enough, look at PCP/finance deals.

Changednamejustincase Wed 14-Feb-18 13:48:25

It's a family expense. Take the money for the car out of the family money before splitting what's left over. So instead of splitting £1400, split £1100. All him why he would want to have more money than you if he doesn't agree. It seems strange to want to keep more money for yourself than you are prepared to let your spouse have.

Trinity66 Wed 14-Feb-18 13:50:03

Me and my DH both pay for our own cars

Ilovecamping Wed 14-Feb-18 13:54:53

We don’t have his and hers money it all goes in the pot. The car is for family use so joint purchase.

honeylulu Wed 14-Feb-18 14:08:05

It's a family expense. However it's done it needs to work out fair.
We both work full time and pay to run our own cars from separate accounts (we have joint about for most other household things though). I bought mine without contribution - i just have a little run around as i only really use it for child ferrying during the week - i get the train to work (London).
I did contribute about 40% of the purchase price of husband car for various reasons:
1. I'm the higher earner
2. I have a small, economical car - his is a big people carrier and our family car/ motorway car so it cost more and does more miles. (I would also contribute towards the running costs if i didn't have the additional cost of a rail season ticket which is about £5k a year so we agreed it was fair not to).
3. I drive it too when i want or need to.

You need to factor in everything including any salary sacrifice your husband bears for the car and see if it's fair that you share the cost of the main family car.

£300 a month sounds a hell of a lot though. Could you consider something more economical?

Do you work/ have a income?

Maybe your husband thinks you are looking out of your price range and objects to subsidising a more luxurious choice than he thinks is appropriate. Car = family expense. Luxury = personal expense.
Perhaps some compromising to be done here!

Luckymummy22 Wed 14-Feb-18 14:16:21

All money is in one pot.
I actually drive DHs car most of the time (family car) and he drives mine.
His is paid, mine is being paid for but it’s out our joint bank.
The only think about his / hers is because only 1 name can go on ownership document.

Liverbird77 Wed 14-Feb-18 14:20:39

We're married. I bought the car just before this out of my "own" money, but we pay for everything out of a joint account. It's our car now. Just like the flat I own is ours and his substantial savings from a property sale are ours. When we buy a new car it will be ours. Splitting money like this wouldn't work for me, but each to their own.

DriggleDraggle Wed 14-Feb-18 14:24:08

what about insurance? if he wants to drive it and you dont pool your resources as a family then he should pay for his insurance shouldnt he?
and half the petrol

ElephantsYeah Wed 14-Feb-18 14:25:29

My DH doesn't drive, but he still pays half for the car: it's for the family so comes out of family money. He even took out a loan to pay for it because my credit rating took a nosedive after maternity leave.

Chienrouge Wed 14-Feb-18 14:26:39

Paid by joint, family money here.

NeedsAsockamnesty Wed 14-Feb-18 14:31:11

Sim he saying that because he viewing it as a none essential item that you just fancy having?

Firesuit Wed 14-Feb-18 14:48:43

Small cars can transport two or three children, including over long distances.

If it's a family car, then he is allowed to veto the purchase completely, if he thinks it isn't needed.

LoniceraJaponica Wed 14-Feb-18 14:50:28

We have joint finances so both of our cars are financed by both of us.

Firesuit Wed 14-Feb-18 14:51:09

Surely it's very obvious that OP just wants someone else to pay half for something she wants but doesn't need? Can't believe people are supporting her. An 8-year-old car should last several more years.

ChasedByBees Wed 14-Feb-18 14:52:24

It should be a joint purchase, however on joint purchases, you both need to agree to them. If you don’t need a new car but you just want one, then it should be your expense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now