Talk

Advanced search

To highlight that Beauty Banks is now open for donations?

(11 Posts)
EatSleepRantRepeat Wed 14-Feb-18 11:55:15

Have posted in Style and Beauty but also posting here for traffic: My fave beauty blogger Sali Hughes has now shared the wish lists and details of Beauty Bank, so we can donate unused toiletries and cosmetic for people on low incomes.

The address to send to (along with details of the scheme and online wishlist) can be found here (if someone could help me get the link to work that would be great, otherwise copy and paste or visitthe-pool.comfor full article):

((https://www.the-pool.com/beauty/beauty-honestly/2018/7/Sali-Hughes-and-Jo-Jones-launch-Beauty-Banks))

LostInShoebiz Wed 14-Feb-18 11:59:21

This is exactly the same as Give and Make Up which is featured on the Caroline Hirons website. The downside with both is that the products people are posting tend to be very heavy and therefore very expensive to post.

It represents a kind of double penalty on giving in that you lose items which you may be able to use yourself but don't prefer to and have to pay to do so - doubly frustrating in such austere times.

Not a criticism of your post on this site, just the logistics of the schemes in general.

Lilicat1013 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:06:21

Thank you, I hadn't heard of this before.

EatSleepRantRepeat Wed 14-Feb-18 12:32:31

I see your point Lost and I rarely buy things I don't use - but if people want to donate that way at least they're not filling up a landfill with unused toiletries. I'm using the option of buying through boots.com and sending directly as my charity contribution for this month. It's also useful as can take advantage of being able to sort by price per item and 3 for 2 offers etc to maximise how far my donation goes.

MyToeHurtsBetty Wed 14-Feb-18 12:42:23

Could people not just take items to their local food bank drop off point?

ElenaBothari Wed 14-Feb-18 12:44:19

We give unopened cosmetics to the food bank. I’m not sure what the advantage of this scheme is?

LostInShoebiz Wed 14-Feb-18 12:47:28

Distribution is additionally through other channels than food banks so can get to women who aren't using foodbanks (say because they are in a refuge and are fed or can't go out, or those with no homes who don't use foodbanks, or those who can't get get a foodbank referral).

TerfsUp Wed 14-Feb-18 12:48:42

www.the-pool.com/beauty/beauty-honestly/2018/7/Sali-Hughes-and-Jo-Jones-launch-Beauty-Banks

EatSleepRantRepeat Wed 14-Feb-18 13:00:29

Thanks Terfsup!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 14-Feb-18 13:05:06

The advantage for me is that I was able to buy a batch of shower gel this morning from amazon. My good intentions re the foodbank are less likely to be completed.

TerfsUp Wed 14-Feb-18 13:21:21

You're welcome!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: