Talk

Advanced search

Are bare arms demeaning?

(6 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

RoseWhiteTips Wed 14-Feb-18 11:40:22

Former Canadian PM Kim Campbell sparks debate with claim women's bare arms on TV are 'demeaning'

Kim Campbell sparked a wide debatewith a tweet which said sleeveless outfits "undermine credibility and gravitas".
She linked to a blog by a man, Dr Nick Morgan, who wrote thatwomen they will look "less brilliant" if they wear sleeveless outfits.

In his blog on the Public Words website, Dr Morgan wrote: “Think about what this means when you put on that sleeveless dress, women, or that expensive, cool-looking casual t-shirt, men.

“Apparently, we humans are pretty simple creatures.If you show up in front of us with skin exposed, we’re going to think about your body.If you’re wearing lots of clothing, we’re going to think about your mind.”

Is she being unreasonable to hold this opinion or does she have a point? She’s certainly got some people chattering...

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Feb-18 13:31:42

Hi RoseWhiteTips,

Did you mean to post this in site stuff? flowers

RoseWhiteTips Wed 14-Feb-18 14:17:29

Hi! No I meant to post it here!

RoseWhiteTips Wed 14-Feb-18 14:18:33

I mean in AIBU!! Confusion abounds. Sorry.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Feb-18 23:12:45

RoseWhiteTips

I mean in AIBU!! Confusion abounds. Sorry.

We've moved it over to AIBU for you now, RoseWhiteTips. So sorry for the delay!

Freetodowhatiwant Wed 14-Feb-18 23:14:55

It’s an interesting point she raised. I don’t feel they are demeaning necessarily but there is a marked difference now between how female and male newsreaders are dressed. Whereas the men are in smart business suits the women look like they could be going to a party, albeit quite a smart one. Does that take away from their authority? Not necessarily for me but maybe for others or maybe in the subconscious of others.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: