Talk

Advanced search

To ask people who haven't used a product to NOT review it?!

(48 Posts)
HashtagTired Wed 14-Feb-18 11:05:31

One helpful review "I bought this for my nephew, I'm sure he will love it"

Another "I got this as a gift..."

is that meant to help me? Am I meant to go and buy it just because you have?
NO! IT ISN'T HELPFUL. Don't give it 5 stars if you haven't experienced the item! angry

Rant over.

Slanetylor Wed 14-Feb-18 11:11:01

This bugs me too!!
On the Di$ney store- " I'm a collector but I know a child would love to play with it if they dared remove it from its beautiful box" hmm

AnyUsernameWillDo75 Wed 14-Feb-18 11:12:13

Yanbu

amusedbush Wed 14-Feb-18 11:17:30

Yes, and "arrived promptly, well packaged".

Great, but does the item work?? angry

Birdsgottafly Wed 14-Feb-18 11:23:24

You still get entered into the prize draw so people will still review it.

I bought a kitchen for my GC in July (for Christmas). I put the weight and size if the box, which because I don't drive and I don't have many people who could come shopping, I find details like that useful.

WorraLiberty Wed 14-Feb-18 11:24:46

"Ordered the wrong size. Didn't fit. Had to return it"

That always makes me laugh grin

PinkHeart5914 Wed 14-Feb-18 11:28:07

It is completely pointless to review a product you have not uses, even had this with a sound bar recently review said “ Its a gift for my brother but it looks nice in the box and arrived on time” wtf? It’s a sound bar so people want to know about the sound quality <<rolls eyes>>

And always with dc toys, every bloody item has the “I got this for my grandson/daughter etc and I’m sure they will love it” again wtf? Tell me if the toy is well made not that it’s nice to look at

ILoveUsernames Wed 14-Feb-18 11:31:00

Yes or "Bought as an xmas gift for my child so not opened it yet" i mean wtf how does that help anyone

MsHomeSlice Wed 14-Feb-18 11:31:09

yes...

looks exactly what I wanted, but I haven't yet opened it ....wellllll you could have posted that JUST from the picture you dweeb!

and then those who moan it took for ever to arrive, the packing was shite, it didn't even work and still give 5*
or vice versa....13 paragraphs of gushing at the womder of it all and just 2 stars!

A580Hojas Wed 14-Feb-18 11:34:31

I never look at reviews. People are paid for them, so you can't possibly know if they are honest or not.

But then I'm old and lived most of my adult life before the internet and the era of people needing every single possible scrap of information spoon fed to them.

ChuffMuffin Wed 14-Feb-18 11:47:43

I read once online that if you want to see the real, honest reviews about an item, try sorting them by 3 stars or 4 stars out of 5. So I started doing it. Doesn't work brilliantly if an item is fantastic and the vast majority people have given it 5 stars, but aside from that it seems to work pretty well smile.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Wed 14-Feb-18 11:50:31

I have reviewed many items from clothes to books over the years, and have never been paid for any of them!
I have often found other people's reviews helpful - particularly on the JL website when ordering for Gdcs, and lately, Halfords website when buying child car seats.

What drives me mad on Amazon (books and films) is when people seem to think reviewing means giving a lengthy précis of the plot. It's more common on American Amazon, though, which I do use when ordering for a sister across the pond.

glitterbiscuits Wed 14-Feb-18 12:13:51

This irritates me more than I can say!

Give a product you never even opened the full five stars!

These people will jailed when I take over!

jaseyraex Wed 14-Feb-18 12:17:11

Oh my god, I could not agree more!

I once came across a woman who had left someone 2 stars because "I ordered the wrong item so had to send it back". You bought the wrong item, not the bloody sellers fault!

MrsRoyCropper Wed 14-Feb-18 12:18:50

It’s maddening when you want to specifically find out if the item is true to size/runs large or small for example, and the review will say item didn’t fit. But why, because it was large or small so I can reasonably size up or down when ordering. So basically no value in the review!

Poffley Wed 14-Feb-18 12:19:43

The worst ones are those "questions" on Amazon that then get answered by people who have no idea what the answer actually is.

EG - about a hair straightener

Q: "Does this come with a heatproof mat?"

A: "No idea as I bought it as a gift."

WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU ANSWERING THEN?!

LemonShark Wed 14-Feb-18 12:20:35

Agree entirely! Though it often makes me smile as it instantly conjures up the impression of a older lady or gentleman who has just learned how the internet works and types questions into google with 'please and thanks' and doesn't realise you can use the same window in your browser multiple times, just keeps minimising and starting a new one for every new page 😂

It's obviously people who are trying but don't quite understand how it works.

MongerTruffle Wed 14-Feb-18 12:22:09

Then there are also people who answer questions on Amazon like this:
Q: "Can this product be used with 110V electricity or will I need a voltage adaptor?"
A: "Sorry, I gave this as a gift so I don't know."

MongerTruffle Wed 14-Feb-18 12:22:24

x post

BabyBlueEyed Wed 14-Feb-18 12:22:28

@WorraLiberty - I actually like those ones... but only if the size is mentioned. I find some clothes too big / small depending on the shop.

iklboo Wed 14-Feb-18 12:23:05

'I haven't read this book and don't plan to as I don't like the author. This was a present for my dad' - one star.

BabyBlueEyed Wed 14-Feb-18 12:24:17

But yes OP I agree... I try to look at middle ratings cos I know I rarely give 5* so find them more constructive.

Elledouble Wed 14-Feb-18 12:26:01

I was just going to say that, Poffley! Perhaps some people don’t realise that a request for a review or an “ask the owner” question isn’t aimed at them personally. I just can’t stand the “Does this product come with widgets?” questions answered with “I don’t know, sorry”. Argh!

Thelampshadelady Wed 14-Feb-18 12:26:59

Haha when people complain that they are disappointed because it’s ‘smaller/bigger than I expected’
Well maybe you should have looked at the dimensions before ordering.

Bluntness100 Wed 14-Feb-18 12:29:32

Actually I was thinking about this this morning,

I think a lot of people also sit and make up fake reviews. Be it on trip advisor or trust pilot or whatever. You find the details wrong. I think it was my thread on teeth whitening that made me think of it.

People seem to post reviews of things in all sorts of places of things they have never used or visited. I've no clue why they do it. But I genuinely think there are a bunch of bored people who sit at home writing made up reviews of stuff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: