Talk

Advanced search

Asda slogan t-shirs

(30 Posts)
MrsG841 Wed 14-Feb-18 08:59:53

In the paper today a mother has slammed asda slogan t-shirt claiming it will damage children MH

Am I the only 1 who thinks this is a tad over reacting

Sirzy Wed 14-Feb-18 09:01:15

What was the slogan?

PeerieBreeks Wed 14-Feb-18 09:01:33

What was the slogan?

PeerieBreeks Wed 14-Feb-18 09:02:04

Cross Post!

PurpleDaisies Wed 14-Feb-18 09:02:10

It totally depends what it says.

MrsG841 Wed 14-Feb-18 09:03:13

Boys will be boys

HollyBayTree Wed 14-Feb-18 09:04:02

Mother needs a Paddington hard stare

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/asda-slammed-sexist-shirt-mum-12022754

MrsG841 Wed 14-Feb-18 09:04:43

Thank you for the link Hollybear my phone wouldn't let me do it

PeerieBreeks Wed 14-Feb-18 09:04:51

Seems a bit ott

troodiedoo Wed 14-Feb-18 09:05:43

I rolled my eyes at said t-shirt in the shop but I didn't feel the need to take any further action.

Sirzy Wed 14-Feb-18 09:05:54

Seems a bit OTT but there again I don’t think pushing gender stereotypes does much good either!

Boys will be boys makes me roll my eyes in general as it’s normally used to justify bad behaviour

MrsG841 Wed 14-Feb-18 09:08:21

I just thought that saying it will damage MH was such an over reaction tbh

Peekabum Wed 14-Feb-18 09:10:34

I like these t-shirts, plus ones that say "here comes trouble".

I watch out for kids wearing stuff like this at soft play, as they're usually the ones left unattended with their behaviour unchecked. It's good to have the pushers well labelled.

Sirzy Wed 14-Feb-18 09:17:22

On their own no, as part of the bigger culture surrounding things like that? Harder to say!

Sparklingbrook Wed 14-Feb-18 09:17:37

I hate slogan tops whatever they say. Can't get too worked up over it-just don't buy them.

SweetMoon Wed 14-Feb-18 09:27:58

Can't see how this will suddenly give little boys mh problems, no. Some people just clearly have pathetic lives that they can find things like this to moan about. If she doesnt like it, she doesn't have to buy it, same for every other parent.

If it had serial killer in the making scrawled across it, I could get her point, but this? Nah. Stupid woman.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Wed 14-Feb-18 09:31:09

I'm not a fan of clothing with slogans but I'm struggling to see the MH link.

Cornettoninja Wed 14-Feb-18 09:34:17

Don't like it, don't buy it is my motto and it seems to be serving me fairly well.

There's lots of things I wouldn't dress dd in but who am I to dictate others clothes.

IfyouseeRitaMoreno Wed 14-Feb-18 09:39:15

It's not so much about getting "offended" over one t-shirt..

..but about looking at the bigger picture and the incessant messages that children get about boy = A, girl = B and there's no in between.

In a way it's led to the current trans climate and this idea that if you're a boy who likes dresses / acts according to the "girly" stereotype you must be a girl or vice versa.

Sparklingbrook Wed 14-Feb-18 09:46:35

Oh no, is this going to be another trans thread.

IfyouseeRitaMoreno Wed 14-Feb-18 09:47:31

Let's not forget that kids don't choose the messages that they receive and they have no way to know if the messages are humorous or ironic especially when they meet people who actually do hold those ideas for real.

The Daily Mirror is, as most newspapers do, selectively editing for sensationalist effect, focusing on "offence" and "MH" rather than the real concerns that lie underneath.

newmumwithquestions Wed 14-Feb-18 09:53:15

The concerns are real though. Wtf do we feel the need to stereotype our children based on what sex they are?
My DD year old is already coming out with ‘boys do this..., girls do this...,, girls like this...., only men can do this job...,’ crap. She’s 3 ffs and hasn’t got that from home.

Does 1 t shirt really matter? Probably not but the constant stereotyping messages do.

UterusUterusGhali Wed 14-Feb-18 09:56:20

Ffs it's 2018. Those slogans are ridiculous.

Getting "enraged" about MH problems is a bit much tho.

Woulditbeworth Wed 14-Feb-18 10:15:47

I really don’t like the Asda slogans. I thought this one was particularly awful.

Not a message I would want to be sending my dd.

Ellendegeneres Wed 14-Feb-18 10:23:46

But... boys will be boys...
Girls will be girls... it’s not like it said ‘boys play with mud’ and the girls one ‘girls play with dolls’ confused

Stuff like this doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I think people overthinking stuff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: