Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think deliberately targetting a trans person with a leaflet warning them about the dangers of a trans lifestyle is just a little bit too late

(18 Posts)
sagamartha Wed 14-Feb-18 08:23:47

I got my first deliberate targetting recently as a trans person. Online abuse I am used to - but this was a leaflet deliberately placed and meant for me to read. I'm not going to go into the details of where it was but it was targetted at me.

This is the leaflet.

www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/02/12/mps-targeted-with-shocking-anti-gay-and-anti-trans-leaflets/

I only read it briefly. It's in the style of a cigarette warning package, mentions religion, sin, - and then attacks people who are gay or trans.

This was a bit too close to home. Someone has deliberatly decided to target me - it's also a bit too late as I there is no turning back. I have no idea who did this - but I know there are people out there who strongly disapprove of trans people and who are so brave they decide to put a leaflet in a place designed for me to find it.

UnimaginativeUsername Wed 14-Feb-18 08:28:54

If it makes you feel any better, the kind of people who make these sort of leaflets hate pretty much everyone and think their lifestyles are unacceptable.

They’re just arseholes.

sagamartha Wed 14-Feb-18 08:30:21

If it makes you feel any better, the kind of people who make these sort of leaflets hate pretty much everyone and think their lifestyles are unacceptable

Yes - it takes real guts to leave a leaflet...

TerfsForWomen Wed 14-Feb-18 08:35:26

If it's any consolation, I believe these sorts of people are far and few between. I'm sorry you've been targeted.

WeirdAndPissedOff Wed 14-Feb-18 08:36:32

As you said, they're certainly not the brightest or bravest.
I'm assuming that this particular kind of targeting means it's likely someone you encounter regularly in your personal/social/work life? If that's the case I can't imagine how that must feel. flowers
But as pp said its a reflection on them and the kind of bitter life they lead. If possible I'd try to give it as little headspace as possible - it certainly doesn't deserve any.

Abracadabraapileofbollocks Wed 14-Feb-18 08:37:59

I can't read it as my device is being an arse but I take it it's not something trying to raise the profile of the worrying higher levels of mental ill health and even suicide for anyone deemed "other" to white/ straight etc?

UnimaginativeUsername Wed 14-Feb-18 08:40:51

It’s shit to receive a letter telling you that you’re ‘immoral’. Especially from people who think the ‘moral’ way to behave is to anonymously leave literature that insults people for them to find.

TheEgregiousPeach Wed 14-Feb-18 08:46:16

That really is awful. Must be awful to just be going about your business and suddenly get sideswiped by that malicious spiteful nonsense.
It says a lot more about the person who left it for you then it does you. The problem is located with them, not you.
I've noticed that gender identities and sexual identities that do not conform to heteronormative frameworks seem to make those that do a bit uncomfortable sometimes. It's like they can't handle someone playing by different rules and induces some kind of existential panic. Makes them question and doubt themselves, so they get defensive. Not on though. As pp said, they are indeed arseholes. Try not to give them headspace, they don't deserve your time.

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Wed 14-Feb-18 08:49:04

I completely understand why you feel targeted and worried, but please feel reassured that this is not the majority opinion but comes from a place of bitterness and bigotry - and it doesn’t surprise me that religion is being referenced.

It’s ridiculously naive of them to think that a leaflet will make anyone go, “oops, silly me, thanks for making me see the light”. They are utter idiots. So YANBU.

sagamartha Wed 14-Feb-18 08:50:45

It’s ridiculously naive of them to think that a leaflet will make anyone go, “oops, silly me, thanks for making me see the light

grin

Exactly. I am not sure what they were hoping I would do!!

Eltonjohnssyrup Wed 14-Feb-18 09:11:52

Leave a piece of paper in the same time place with 'judge not lest ye be judged' written on it.

MorningsEleven Wed 14-Feb-18 09:22:03

@sagamartha I'm really sorry someone has targeted you. It's so cowardly to bully someone in this way flowers

sagamartha Wed 14-Feb-18 10:06:39

Leave a piece of paper in the same time place with 'judge not lest ye be judged' written on it

I am sure there are a few Bible quotes that could be used.

Sparklesocks Wed 14-Feb-18 10:12:24

Vile, I'm sorry OP. Those people are disgusting.

Amoregentlemanlikemanner Wed 14-Feb-18 10:16:48

I am used to this stuff from my religious cousins. Sorry it must be a shock if you are not used to it. As above, they believe there is only one good way to live...

There are some decent Christians out there so don’t think they are all like this. On the other hand, the nice ones, like the Pope (who says things like “who am I to judge?.”) get attacked by extremists within their own ranks.....

sagamartha Wed 14-Feb-18 10:27:11

There are some decent Christians out there so don’t think they are all like this

I know.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Wed 14-Feb-18 10:57:25

saga

Sorry that you have been subjected to this

thanks

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Wed 14-Feb-18 10:58:24

My Christian BIL left a leaflet about being saved and not going to hell on his mothers bed

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: