Talk

Advanced search

To use the meat the cat was eating

(50 Posts)
Butternutsqoosh Wed 14-Feb-18 08:21:24

Heard a noise in the middle of the night, went downstairs to investigate and the cat had got into the pack of diced beef that was defrosting in its packet on the worktop. He's chewed into a corner and eaten some of the chunks. Would you still use the rest of the meat? I could wash it right? It's only for me and DH, DCs eating something else tonight. Although as I'm writing, just remembered it's Valentines Day and I should probably have got a more romantic dinner than beef stew and sprouts!!

Scabbersley Wed 14-Feb-18 08:24:06

I'm quite blasé about sell by dates but even I wouldn't eat that!! It's a no from me

AjasLipstick Wed 14-Feb-18 08:25:17

I would but I'm a bit lax and kiss my cat on the lips.

pinkmagic1 Wed 14-Feb-18 08:25:44

No way! Give the rest to the cat too.

Nikephorus Wed 14-Feb-18 08:25:56

Yes. Either wash it or cut off the bit that he's eaten.

Nikephorus Wed 14-Feb-18 08:26:30

Or treat the cat to the rest if you're feeling generous.

Greenteandchives Wed 14-Feb-18 08:28:06

Yes of course you can use it; just wash the rest. Cooking it will get rid of anything else.

WeirdAndPissedOff Wed 14-Feb-18 08:30:45

If he definitely only got a corner, cut that bit off, wash it and cook it and it'll be fine.
It's an immediate reaction to think "eww" since cats are disgusting but realistically it shouldn't do any harm?

I would add that I have 6 cats though, so perhaps not the best judge.

Butternutsqoosh Wed 14-Feb-18 08:30:47

Right I'll use it before DH spots it! Cat has only eaten into the pack as far as his head would reach through the hole he made! Going to have to bulk it out with veg more now though!! Thanks all

underneaththeash Wed 14-Feb-18 08:37:04

Def not! Our cat keeps getting bitten by the local bully and each time it gets badly infected, I think we're on abscess number 6 now. According to the vet cat's mouths are full of particularly nasty bacteria.

IHaveACuntingPlan Wed 14-Feb-18 08:43:57

Are you cooking veal? grin🐱🍖

meredintofpandiculation Wed 14-Feb-18 09:17:13

Bacteria which will survive the temperatures of the cooking process will not be living in your cat's mouth.

bellabasset Wed 14-Feb-18 09:32:40

I would as it is being cooked. Another time pop the packet in a large saucepan with the lid on, or in a tray in the oven but leave a note on the door so you don't forget to take the meat out before switching the oven on! I had a cat who got onto the worktop but sadly lost him last year.

user1483390742 Wed 14-Feb-18 09:39:03

I would and have done! No one died! 😂

MatildaTheCat Wed 14-Feb-18 09:41:31

I would.

thethoughtfox Wed 14-Feb-18 09:42:17

I would be then I don't tell dd that the cat has been drinking out of her cereal bowl before she gets to it.

SweetMoon Wed 14-Feb-18 09:44:46

It will be fine, just use the parts fot he pack the cat hasn't got to.

thethoughtfox That is disgusting.

Lweji Wed 14-Feb-18 09:48:25

Definitely use it. It will be cooked.
No need to wash it. It will just spread the bacteria.

YetAnotherUser Wed 14-Feb-18 09:48:55

It's a chunk of dead cow. Having a cat nibble on it before it's cooked wouldn't put me off. It'll be fine once cooked.

Scabbersley Wed 14-Feb-18 09:51:16

Cats are rank. I wouldn't eat anything they'd been near. Have you smelt their breath! It might not make you ill but it is just gross. And as for letting a cat drink cereal milk before your dd eats it! I have loads of animals but that's just scabby.

Nocabbageinmyeye Wed 14-Feb-18 09:54:31

It is absolutely vile to use it, boak envy <--- not envy

SumThucker Wed 14-Feb-18 10:00:21

Eww God no!!

Fairenuff Wed 14-Feb-18 10:06:18

Ew that is gross. What is wrong with people? This is why I don't like eating at other people's houses if they have cats or dogs. You don't know what they've let the fuckers lick.

And it's been walking all over your kitchen worktops as well?

Lweji Wed 14-Feb-18 10:08:26

You'd never survive in the wild if you're that squimish. smile

The chicken that you eat is probably more contaminated with bacteria (and more dangerous) than the beef that your cat touched.

FluffyWuffy100 Wed 14-Feb-18 10:09:35

I would cut off a good chunk around the bit he has eaten and use the rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now