Talk

Advanced search

Sick of waking up so early

(23 Posts)
hareandthemoon Wed 14-Feb-18 05:55:37

Every day I wake up between 5 and 6.

Im sick of it. It doesn't matter what time I go to bed, I wake up at the same time. I'm always tired and uncomfortable.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

dontforgettofloss Wed 14-Feb-18 05:59:59

Yes, me, hence why I'm awake now. It's a vicious circle because I'll be tired all day, then fall asleep early tonight, then wake up early.
I never feel like I've had a good nights sleep

Vitalogy Wed 14-Feb-18 06:01:39

One answer is to embrace it, fighting it won't help.

Pittcuecothecookbook Wed 14-Feb-18 06:03:39

Yep! Embrace it. I got to bed at 9pm/10pm now to make sure I get about 7 - 8 hours sleep. Get up, have a long bath, nice leisurely breakfast, quick tidy and then on with the day. Summer is easier as you can sit in the garden in the morning reading and having a coffee and take a few hours for yourself.

hareandthemoon Wed 14-Feb-18 06:05:29

It's difficult to embrace it. It just makes the day feel endless.

Pittcuecothecookbook Wed 14-Feb-18 06:08:06

What time do you go to bed? If you sleep for 8 hours, then they day is as long as someone going to bed at midnight and getting up at 8am. You just get the lovely peaceful 'no one else around, calling, texting, asking for stuff' hour or two x

hareandthemoon Wed 14-Feb-18 06:08:44

I have a terrible headache, too.

hareandthemoon Wed 14-Feb-18 06:09:34

Well, no one is actually here anyway so it makes very little difference from that viewpoint.

Nquartz Wed 14-Feb-18 06:11:49

I'm the same, I've learnt to embrace it. If DD is in a phase of waking post 6am i get to catch upon mumsnet or watch a bit of tv in peace. However, she goes through phases of waking up a 5am which feels worse than just me waking up.

KatnissK Wed 14-Feb-18 06:12:42

Are you worrying about your day? Are you waking up in pain / uncomfortable? Hungry / thirsty? It is horrible OP - I am the same but my baby is waking me up so at least I have a reason!!

hareandthemoon Wed 14-Feb-18 06:15:18

My dad was the same but steadily woke up earlier and earlier and used to wake between 3 and 4. I do worry a bit about this.

Vitalogy Wed 14-Feb-18 06:16:35

Sounds like there's more going on than the sleeping OP. Wanting life to pass by quickly and not drag isn't great. Have you heard of Eckhart Tolle? He has videos on YouTube and books about living in the now among other things. I found so helpful.

Silvercatowner Wed 14-Feb-18 06:18:53

Waking early can be a symptom of depression, particularly if it bothers you. Might be worth a think about wider issues and a trip to the doctor?

Raver84 Wed 14-Feb-18 06:19:37

I wake at 5 every day even when I've worked evening shift the day before and don't go to bed til midnight. I just crack on with it get some exercise in and the lunches made for the kids befor they get up at half six and I've learned to really enjoy the peace!

FranticallyPeaceful Wed 14-Feb-18 06:26:03

This is definitely a frame of mind thing. I know previous posters advice on embracing it sounds absolutely stupid but it’s the truth... I hated getting up early, it’s uncomfortable and miserable and ugh, but the moment I began waking up and forcing myself to pretend that it was an awesome start to my day... well, I genuinely believe that now. I hate sleeping in, it’s such a waste of life, but those few initial minutes can still be absolute torture.
Just get on with it, don’t even give yourself time to think about it. Get up straight away and focus on the fact you’re having a really good start to the day

MissDuke Wed 14-Feb-18 06:29:31

My alarm goes at 5.40 on my working days, I hate getting up! I have learned to go to bed earlier though to compensate. Are you getting out and about much during the day? That is something that would definitely impact on sleep.

Kitsharrington Wed 14-Feb-18 06:42:54

Have you tried audio books or the radio when you wake? On very low volume. I do it when I can’t fall asleep and I’m rarely still awake when the sleep timer turns off at 15 mins. It gives your mind something to focus on so your thoughts don’t wander. Once I start thinking about all the things I have to do sleep is lost to me. This really helps.

bimbobaggins Wed 14-Feb-18 06:53:54

I am exactly the same. If I ever , rarely, get to 7am it feels like a long lie.
I do try to get back to sleep but never manage it.

Drycleanonly7 Wed 14-Feb-18 07:11:24

I wake up at 3am every day. I know it's not a contest ; it's just exhausting!

heron98 Wed 14-Feb-18 07:12:17

I don't think that's too bad. Why don't you get up and start the day?

Lennythelion14 Wed 14-Feb-18 07:18:53

Go to bed earlier and embrace the start of the day. Do something for yourself in that hour. Unless you have young kids in which case you have my sympathy.

reup Wed 14-Feb-18 07:22:17

It’s so frustrating isn’t it? I get up and do things now - read or watch tv but I’m so tired all the time. It also makes me more hungry as I feel I want 2 breakfasts!

jellycat1 Wed 14-Feb-18 07:29:57

I hear you op. I frigging hate this. Do you mind me asking how old you are? I put it down to age as it's only happened to me since I hit 40. I find if I lie in bed and just resign myself to it and let my mind wander - eventually I will fall back to sleep and even another 20 mins sleep before I get up at around 645 means the difference between a shit day and a good day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: