Talk

Advanced search

why has labour never had a female leader but call conservatives sexist?

(22 Posts)
bluepears Tue 13-Feb-18 23:18:15

its been well reported they banned white men from attending a conference but labour have never elected a female leader, would that not be a better way to achieve equality.
for context the conservatives did in 1975 43 years ago a female leader of the 2 main parties has never lost an general election so the electorate can not be sexist and 4 of the last ten general elections have been won by a women.
tldr aibu to think the person that did about the same as Gordon brown did when he resigned in 2010. has history against him the last labour leader to lose a first election then win the next was Attlee who of course had been in the cabinet during the war (first ever dpm) should of resigned/ be forced out and to mark 100 years of the suffragette movement labour should elect their first female leader.

IfyouseeRitaMoreno Tue 13-Feb-18 23:27:51

I think they probably know that the electorate would never go for a female Labour leader.

A female conservative is forgiven because they're not rocking the boat too much and would never call themselves a feminist. But a left wing feminist, boy, that's a bit too much!

OfaFrenchmind2 Tue 13-Feb-18 23:30:21

^^ Mmmhh, that stinks of a very bad excuse. Bit like Clinton blaming her defeat on everyone but herself.

bluepears Tue 13-Feb-18 23:45:09

I think they probably know that the electorate would never go for a female Labour leader.

A female conservative is forgiven because they're not rocking the boat too much and would never call themselves a feminist. But a left wing feminist, boy, that's a bit to'o much!' err
may called her self a feminist goo.gl/images/FSZnkw and its not the electorate is the labour members.

ButteredScone Tue 13-Feb-18 23:51:20

As a group, the Tories are literally more enlightened because they are objective.

And no pretend bullshit woke crap.

MexicanBob Tue 13-Feb-18 23:52:09

Because the Labour Party is the most traditionally minded, misogynistic organisation in this country. The Tories, ironically, are far quicker to embrace social change than Labour ever has been. Roy Jenkins was the last truly socially radical Labour Cabinet Minister (Frank Field tried but Blair wouldn't have it) and he ended up leaving the party.

JustAnotherPoster00 Tue 13-Feb-18 23:52:28

Harriet Harman 8/05/2015 - 12/9/2015

Nightmanagerfan Tue 13-Feb-18 23:53:35

But they didn’t ban white men from a conference? It was an event for people interested in being elected as officers in certain positions - including women, BME etc.

MexicanBob Tue 13-Feb-18 23:54:57

Wee if we're counting Harman there's also Margret Beckett.

bluepears Wed 14-Feb-18 00:00:28

Harriet Harman 8/05/2015 - 12/9/2015

read my post a specifically said elected never had a female leader elected never had a female leader fight a ge
'But they didn’t ban white men from a conference? It was an event for people interested in being elected as officers in certain positions - including women, BME etc.'
not it wasnt it was titled ' young labour equalities conference and it wasnt about people being interested it was where they elected the four officers to the posts

user1471439240 Wed 14-Feb-18 00:00:53

Labour are now the party of the discriminated minority's, a female leader would admit things aren't quite as bad. Wouldn't rub with the permanently offended.

HelenaDove Wed 14-Feb-18 00:02:40

Four words OP....................Tax Credits Rape Clause.

bluepears Wed 14-Feb-18 00:02:53

and they wernt labour leader they were acting labour leader where there role is not to make new policies ect but to oversee an election for the next leader

GardenGeek Wed 14-Feb-18 00:04:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

caroldecker Wed 14-Feb-18 00:07:52

The Labour party have always been a group of ideological misogynists that have attracted a certain group of women who are incapable of seeing that ideology always creates a worse outcome than practicality.
The Conservatives are much better at seeing what works rather then what they want to work.

UnderCrackers5 Wed 14-Feb-18 00:08:49

Labour ? this is the party that sacked Sarah Champion after she called out child sex grooming in Rotherham

Huntinginthedark Wed 14-Feb-18 00:09:27

@HelenaDove
What’s that got to do with it. Genuine question

PancakeInMaBelly Wed 14-Feb-18 00:16:39

It would be too little too late. Labour sicken me. There is no viable left.

Amortentia Wed 14-Feb-18 00:22:16

I know there only a branch office but Scottish Labour have had at least two female leaders and one is openly gay. Unfortunately, SLAB (Scottish Labour) are even more of a basket case than the Westminster lot.

HelenaDove Wed 14-Feb-18 00:22:28

I think i will let that response speak for itself.

PancakeInMaBelly Wed 14-Feb-18 00:26:50

No. Labour has used up its get out of jail card "at least we're not Tories LOOK AT THEM THEY DID SOMETHING BAD TOO" card too many times now

That card has been revoked/cancelled from over-use

Clem7 Wed 14-Feb-18 03:41:40

I’m usually a Labour voter but you’re absolutely right.

The fact that Labour usually have far more female MPs (and thus a wider talent pool) underscores the party’s failure.

The positivi is that the new leader election system does give hope for change (even if that not how it panned out in 2015).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: