Talk

Advanced search

To buy a radar key

(47 Posts)
PixieCutRegret Tue 13-Feb-18 21:12:21

Just to set the scene a bit, my town is fairly small and has 3 loos with baby changes that are for general public use (ie not in a coffee shop where you have to buy something, even some of these have radar keys too). All of these are accessible toilets with radar keys. Usually it's a bit of a pain in the arse to hunt down a member of staff/ visit the shop mobility to get a key but really just a minor inconvenience and not great when ds has done a poo.

Today though I had to visit shop mobility to get the key, the key was not in the usual place so it had to be hunted down. As I was changing ds someone knocked on the door so I finished up as quickly as I could. When I came out a woman in a wheelchair was waiting and although I apologised she really did not look happy, I felt awful but ds needed a change. If I didn't have to track down the key I wouldn't have been long gone before she knocked on the door. Would I be unreasonable to buy a radar key online just for the use of these toilets?

rainbownights Tue 13-Feb-18 21:15:39

Are you allowed? When I got mine 20 years ago (which I had to buy even though I have a disability) I had to prove I was disabled.

If anyone can buy them these days then why not, you need the loos and the money goes towards their upkeep.

Fletchasaurus Tue 13-Feb-18 21:17:11

Just to clarify, the only baby change facilities are in the accessible toilets?

TinaMena Tue 13-Feb-18 21:17:30

Makes you wonder what a disabled person would do if they couldn't use the loo because a disabled person was in there

OldHag1 Tue 13-Feb-18 21:19:35

Wi got one for my mum from Amazon cost about £3. I would say get one.

mtpaektu Tue 13-Feb-18 21:20:09

They're available on eBay. I wouldn't buy one as I don't need it, but if you feel you have a reasonable need then fair enough.

teenmumandsowhat Tue 13-Feb-18 21:22:26

Most local councils sell them. And don’t generally need any proof of disability either.
My ex was disabled. But it was me who brought the key for him, and I was asked no questions or anything.

FreudianSlurp Tue 13-Feb-18 21:22:35

Someone with a disability is just as likely to have turned up if you had your own key, maybe you missed them whilst you were waiting for yours? I do wish the powers-that-be would provide changing facilities outside the accessible rooms, although they'd still need to provide them in there for disabled parents or disabled children, but that's not your fault at all.

Personally, I'd buy the Radar key in this situation. I'm a wheelchair user and I'm never annoyed if someone is in the toilet when I need it - my bladder and bowel don't care I'm waiting for a disabled person or not and I don't have the superpower that lets me know if someone else is disabled or has access requirements.

Flipflopflipflap Tue 13-Feb-18 21:23:07

I Have one due to hyper mobility and arthritis particularly affecting my knees and hips, so I find the rail and higher seat really helps if I’m having a flare up. But I’m not disabled. They’re “accessible” not exclusive

WiseOldHag Tue 13-Feb-18 21:25:07

Lots of people have invisible disabilities. Not always physical ones.

PixieCutRegret Tue 13-Feb-18 21:25:12

rainbownights - you can get them off Amazon, I'm not sure if they work or not but it's cheap enough to try

Fletchasaurus - yes, the others are in coffee shops where they don't want non customers to use them. The ladies are big enough to get the buggy in so I can change him in there, but no good if I babywear or it's an explosive poo

FreudianSlurp Tue 13-Feb-18 21:26:40

I get mine from Amazon Pixie. It used to be one company that made and sold them but they lost the contract or something, so you can buy them from other places too.

x2boys Tue 13-Feb-18 21:30:16

I got three from Amazon for £1.99 my son is disabled btw why start a thread though hmm

PixieCutRegret Tue 13-Feb-18 21:30:28

FreudianSlurp - I wish they were separate too, as far as it is possible disabled people should not have to wait and parents should not have to feel guilty for using a changing facility.

AveEldon Tue 13-Feb-18 21:30:59

I bought one from Radar direct
Most useful in places like National Rail stations where you have to hunt down a member of staff to use the baby change

Huntinginthedark Tue 13-Feb-18 21:31:50

Did you really put this in aibu!!! shockconfused

PixieCutRegret Tue 13-Feb-18 21:32:34

x2boys because I wasn't sure if it was ethical to buy one if I'm not entitled to one.

PixieCutRegret Tue 13-Feb-18 21:33:37

AveEldon the one at the station is the worst!

zeeboo Tue 13-Feb-18 21:35:07

You'd get a similar mouthful from me if I wet myself or worse because you were in there doing something you could do in any number of other places. Disabled people can ONLY use disabled loos. We don't get them as a bonus to use as well as other loos, we get them because they are the only ones we can get our wheelchairs in, or change our clothes and use the sink to wash in privacy when we soil ourselves because of waiting for you to change your child.

x2boys Tue 13-Feb-18 21:36:03

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Samcro Tue 13-Feb-18 21:37:44

Really people wonder why the op started this thread

HardAsSnails Tue 13-Feb-18 21:39:13

I don't think you should buy one as you don't meet the criteria (having a disability or health condition which means you need accessible toilet access).

At the very least though, if people are using them please buy official Radar keys from the online radar shop or your local council/shopmobility for example. Fake radar keys have been known to break in the locks and ruin the locks which fucks things up for people who really do need those toilets.

x2boys Tue 13-Feb-18 21:39:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Huntinginthedark Tue 13-Feb-18 21:40:44

Well just because she’s throwing herself into the lions den on this one!

I have seen lots of assisted toilets with changing facilities that’s why they’re assisted and not exclusive to anyone.
Ergo. Just go buy a radar key.

But on Aibu it’s not going to go that way!!

ozymandiusking Tue 13-Feb-18 21:41:18

If you google Radar Key, The site Disability Rights uk comes up.
You can buy from them £4.50

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now