Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your advice and to help me pull myself together

(18 Posts)
WednesdaySpinner Tue 13-Feb-18 18:34:39

This is my first AIBU post and so I apologise if my post doesn’t make sense - I’m trying to type whilst also trying to pull myself together!

So, I have been in my job for 10 months and absolutely love it. This morning my manager asked to speak to me completely out of the blue and said that there has been a leak of some confidential documents and that they believe that it was me. I can categorically state that it was not me and I would never dream of doing anything like this, however they apparently have a belief that it was and they need to work out if they can rebuild the trust relationship. If they cannot, they will dismiss me on the grounds of breach of mutual trust and confidence. I got very upset in the meeting, however understand that I have only been there for 10 months and so cannot fight it if they do decide to dismiss me. I cannot stress enough that I didn’t leak the documents and quite honestly am shell shocked still. I asked how they want me to proceed and they said they were putting me onto another account until they could decide whether to dismiss or whether they can work through this. Apparently they are hoping to decide within the next two weeks, however brought up some things that they had heard I had said recently in order to ‘bolster’ their case. These things are also not true, it’s things like ‘spinner said she would authorise my expenses’ when I had said nothing of the sort.

I am devastated and don’t know what to do - I didn’t do it and made that clear but don’t have a leg to stand on. I asked if I should resign as I would struggle to carry on as normal and they said that i shouldn’t do that yet but if it did come to dismissal they would try to be fair. They also told me that if I spoke to any of my colleagues about it that it would be instant dismissal due to the trust thing. I’m not sure how I can carry on not knowing and going in as normal? I would love for them to say they have decided to work on it as I do love my job and the environment but at the same time I feel like I will always be on tenterhooks incase anything happens in future and they blame me and so don’t know how I can stay. Please help me to get this into perspective, I am a wreck right now.

MissionItsPossible Tue 13-Feb-18 18:44:44

Call ACAS. They will give you advice. Have they said they have proof? I know if you're saying you didn't do it then they won't but can they just accuse you and threaten you without a single shred of evidence?

Justmuddlingalong Tue 13-Feb-18 18:45:47

Contact ACAS.

Butterymuffin Tue 13-Feb-18 18:49:08

Check if you have legal cover included in your house insurance. If so this might be the time to use it. Don't resign. Tell them if they do attempt to dismiss you you will be seeking legal advice as you've done nothing wrong

WednesdaySpinner Tue 13-Feb-18 19:09:38

No they have no proof, they did say that it is all hearsay but it’s the trust issue and the fact that they ‘can’t risk any more financial information leaking to our competitors’. Thanks for your advice, I’ll call ACAS first thing tomorrow 😊

Blankuser1992 Tue 13-Feb-18 19:10:56

Do not speak to them until you have representation present

Ask for proof when you do

If they fire you sue them

chocolateworshipper Tue 13-Feb-18 19:35:30

Do not have any more discussions with them about it unless you have someone with you. According to ACAS Code of Practice on Disciplinary and Grievance Procedures, you have a statutory right to be accompanied www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/9/g/Discipline-and-grievances-Acas-guide.pdf

Unless you are in a Union, phone ACAS as others have said.

DeathStare Wed 14-Feb-18 05:58:09

Are you a Union member?

flumpybear Wed 14-Feb-18 06:10:44

That's terrible! Is anyone there a meddler and perhaps causing a shit storm for you!? Definitely seek legal help

TheMaddHugger Wed 14-Feb-18 06:18:27

Ohh Noo. (((((((Big Hugs)))))) I hope all this gets sorted in your favour.

Devilishpyjamas Wed 14-Feb-18 06:19:02

Apparently this trust & confidence thing is the new way to get rid of people when they have no reason to. If they don’t want a claim they should have loads of evidence (although that may not be the case with 10 months sad ). Talk to ACAS - your rights may be limited as you have bee there less than a year (I have no idea) but be prepared for your employers to be utter bastards (& remember it’s them, not you).

footballmum Wed 14-Feb-18 06:37:51

Sadly because you have less than 2 years service they can dismiss you without reason. They don’t have to have evidence to support their allegations and if they have decided they don’t trust then unfortunately there’s not much you can do. It sucks but it is the law.

I think your instincts about finding another job are right. Try and get yourself sorted with another job as quickly as possible then resign. At least if you’ve got to leave do it on your own terms.

StealthPolarBear Wed 14-Feb-18 06:50:22

Op that's horrendous I'm sorry.
If you can get another job. When you hand in your notice be very clear that you are not resigning under a cloud but because you can no longer assume fair treatment.

StealthPolarBear Wed 14-Feb-18 06:51:00

Actually contacting acas for advice is probably sensible. But I'd want put of there ASAP.

StealthPolarBear Wed 14-Feb-18 06:51:32

What are they getting you to work on while investigations are underway? Have they made any changes?

CountryGirl1985 Wed 14-Feb-18 06:53:37

Union rep, ACAS and get job hunting, you may love the job but the people don't deserve your effort x good luck

WednesdaySpinner Wed 14-Feb-18 12:38:45

Thank you all for your replies - they have really helped and are appreciated! I called ACAS this morning and they confirmed what has already been said in that I have no employment rights but agreed that it was strange that I have been kept in post doing the same duties. The only difference is that I have been moved from one customer account to another, all duties remain exactly the same, however they apparently don’t need to justify that due to my length of service. I guess it is a case of wait and see but search for jobs in the meantime. Thanks all

MissionItsPossible Wed 14-Feb-18 14:11:49

Fuming for you OP.l reading your update. Hope you're okay.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: