Talk

Advanced search

To think this is a doorstep scam?

(10 Posts)
LoopyOstrich Tue 13-Feb-18 18:15:30

I wasn't entirely sure how to word the title. I am home alone, both of my parents are out so the driveway is empty of cars (I'm 19.) All lights are off in the house other than the study that i'm in. The doorbell rings around 5:15 which is unusual, and a man rings asking if i'm interested in milk being delivered again in bottles; how it used to be etc. I say i'm not the homeowner and therefore aren't sure if my parents would be interested in this, and he smiles, saying he'll come back another time. A white van is parked outside (which is never there) and i realise there are two of these men. Why would they choose to come round at a time when most people aren't home from work yet, and it appeared no one would be in my house?. I googled this and supposedly its a tactic that's been used to ascertain coming and going times of houses/ for potential burglars to get an idea of the insides of houses. Am i being overly paranoid or is this milk delivery a genuine petition? I feel a bit on edge and know this sounds silly.

DollyPartonsBeard Tue 13-Feb-18 18:18:47

I read an article last week that said doorstep deliveries have increased massively recently, so it could be legit, if they're following the trend. Also I think quite a few people are home then - families with small children, SAHPs, people who aren't at work for whatever reason; personally I'd rather be called on then, before it gets dark.

Redglitter Tue 13-Feb-18 18:24:00

Oddly enough there's another thread running just now with people commenting on how they're now getting milk delivered in bottles.

My mum's milkman collects his money between 430/515pm so it's probably not unusual. Bearing in mind the hours they work coming mid evening is probably bedtime for them 😊

LML83 Tue 13-Feb-18 18:24:36

We have a milk delivery in our area and there are lots of people here in at 5pm, a lot of people with primary age kids for example. Try not to worry.

MissionItsPossible Tue 13-Feb-18 18:25:10

If it helps OP i would think they would have parked the van away from your house so you didn't spot it if it was a scam? Did you see if they knocked on your neighbours doors after they left?

Lucymek Tue 13-Feb-18 18:25:52

Did he not say what company he worked for ?

Jimbobjovi Tue 13-Feb-18 18:29:59

I signed up to milk delivery via a doorstep visit like this, can't remember the time but it was afternoon/evening for sure.

DaviesMum Tue 13-Feb-18 18:32:10

Sounds sus...did they carry any ID?

RobinHumphries Tue 13-Feb-18 18:48:13

Why would they have ID?

Madonnasmum Tue 13-Feb-18 18:51:01

This happened to me and I thought it was a scam too until 4pints of milk were left twice a week!
Made me feel bad for assuming the worst blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now