Talk

Advanced search

Stopping direct debit to Oxfam

(17 Posts)
notsodimwit Tue 13-Feb-18 17:31:27

Been contributing to oxfam for years and years and have stopped today angry

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 13-Feb-18 17:35:22

Well it's the needy you're hurting. Not those involved in the sex scandal

I can u derstand why you are doing this, but can I ask you to send the money to another charity doing similar work, please? It would be awful if, in the wake of this scandal, the people who suffer are those the charity is supposed to be helping.

Palegreenstars Tue 13-Feb-18 17:38:57

YANBU to spend you money as you choose.

I hope the government interrogates their funding else where in the same way as they do the aid budget.

I hope that if they withdraw funds to Oxfam they do not automatically remove those funds from the aid budget.

I hope Oxfams recruitment is scrutinised further and more questions are asked about how any criminal activy is audited / passed onto authorities,

I personally have made a donation today to show I have faith in their ability to learn and because of the mostly amazing work they do.

notsodimwit Tue 13-Feb-18 17:44:47

I feel awful about it but cant condone what they have done sad I have put the money into another charity.

notsodimwit Tue 13-Feb-18 17:46:06

(25 )ish years I have donated to these!

icelollycraving Tue 13-Feb-18 17:46:51

You’ll hardly be the only one. Yanbu as you have redirected the funds.

CapnHaddock Tue 13-Feb-18 17:49:15

I am sending all my old clothes to British heart foundation instead.

CircleofWillis Tue 13-Feb-18 17:52:13

I’m actually increasing my dd as although I am disgusted at what has happened I am worried that the people they are helping will suffer as a result.

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Tue 13-Feb-18 18:17:35

Me too - I've gone for CAFOD and Red Cross instead.

Bourdic Tue 13-Feb-18 18:22:30

I’m not stopping my dd- the need is still there and it’s a tiny proportion of the workers - probably about the same proportion as abusive RC priests.

MissionItsPossible Tue 13-Feb-18 18:26:48

YANBU but sadly I think that all of these big charities operate in similar ways. It was Oxfam that got found out this time. I don't doubt there'll be others exposed as time goes on.

Teenageromance Thu 15-Feb-18 10:17:04

But donations are not getting to the poor - that’s one of the main points of this. The money is being spent on lavish life styles - and immoral activities. I would also stop a dd if I had one.

NameChanger22 Thu 15-Feb-18 10:21:30

I'm still going to support them. All charities have dodgy undercurrents and weirdos who work for them. I blame men, not Oxfam.

yolofish Thu 15-Feb-18 10:21:37

one of the Oxfam culprits went straight into a new job at.... CAFOD.

KayaG Thu 15-Feb-18 10:31:51

It's up to you. The good they have done for decades far outweighs the recent revelations. I shall continue to donate.

whatsthecomingoverthehill Thu 15-Feb-18 10:34:55

I think this is a very interesting and balanced discussion on the issue.

I am also very wary of the frenzy being whipped up when certain people are pushing to reduce the amount of aid the UK gives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now