Talk

Advanced search

Itchy scalp driving me mad (but no dandruff).

(27 Posts)
Spangles1963 Tue 13-Feb-18 17:28:03

Posting here rather than in health for traffic. I've suffered from an increasingly itchy scalp over the last couple of years. It's not head lice,my DD has checked my scalp several times (she knows what she's looking for as her own DD has had them a couple of times).I definitely don't have dandruff,never have done. I've tried T-gel,which helped a little but didn't get rid of it totally. A couple of weeks ago I bought some Head and Shoulders for itchy scalps. Then realised after buying it that in the small print it said 'for itchy scalps caused by dandruff'. I started using it anyway,every third day,have used it 4 times now,but has made no difference. Any suggestions? It's getting embarrassing keeps scratching my head constantly! A friend said I should ask the doctor for something.

alfagirl73 Tue 13-Feb-18 17:31:27

Phillip Kingsley's Itchy Flaky Shampoo - I literally react to just about every shampoo out there - this is the only thing that calms it and keeps it under control. I swear by it. It's a little pricey but it's quite concentrated so a little goes a long way - it lasts a while. Has a lovely apple scent too. :-)

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Tue 13-Feb-18 17:31:31

I have had an itchy scalp for around a year now and it finally turned into dandruff a few weeks ago. Tgel worked well initially but after a while scalp was itching within a day again. When my dandruff came a few weeks ago I read that tea tree oil can help it so I bought the cien tea tree shampoo from Lidl to test it. (Didn’t want to spend a fortune if it didn’t work.) so far it is working well and my scalp is itch free. That may change though with time but I thought it was worth a mention.

EllenJanethickerknickers Tue 13-Feb-18 17:32:02

I have a sensitive scalp. A bit weird as the rest of my skin is fine. I am particularly sensitive to posh shampoo and conditioner and just use Simple products now. I used to use Timotei shampoo but can't get hold of it anymore. Maybe try Simple shampoo/conditioner for a while?

Tapandgo Tue 13-Feb-18 17:38:14

Do you colour your hair OP?

LizzieSiddal Tue 13-Feb-18 17:39:45

Go to see a pharmacist. There are some really great shampoos which can help. Dd had exactly the same issue, used what the pharmacist recommended and it worked very quickly.

Supermagicsmile Tue 13-Feb-18 17:40:18

E45 for itchy scalp is good smile

LizzieSiddal Tue 13-Feb-18 17:41:17

www.boots.com/nizoral-anti-dandruff-shampoo-60ml-10025089?cm_mmc=bmm-_-Google+Boots+PLAs-_-BAU-_-C=%28GB%3AWhoop%21%29+Boots+Shopping+-+Category+-+Health+and+Pharmacy+-+Mobile_%28GB%3AWhoop%21%29+Nizoral&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8qit7bej2QIVy7_tCh1ajQo1EAQYESABEgKq5_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is what dd used.

frenchcheeses Tue 13-Feb-18 17:43:29

I had a similar problem for years. I've been using Klorane peony shampoo for about 3 years now (I usually have to order online as not many places sell it) and my scalp is always calm now. I swear by the stuff.

BuffyTheMLMHunter Tue 13-Feb-18 17:45:51

Sounds like it could be psoriasis? See a doc, they might suggest tar based shampoos.

BigHoof Tue 13-Feb-18 17:46:39

Just my two cents': I had exactly this and suffered unnecessarily for months buying this shampoo and that shampoo, lotions and potions from the pharmacy, etc. I spent a fortune! Then I went to see the dermatologist who said I had seborrheic dermatitis and prescribed me two medicated shampoos to alternate which started to work within a week.

My advice: go to the doctor and get sorted properly!

stopbeingabloodyvictim Tue 13-Feb-18 17:49:50

Try body shop ginger shampoo

Spangles1963 Tue 13-Feb-18 18:02:10

Tapandgo. No I've never coloured my hair unless you count Shaders when I was in my teens!

Greyponcho Tue 13-Feb-18 18:04:01

Dietary intolerances? Dairy or gluten intolerance/coeliac disease is a classic trigger for itchy scalps

Spangles1963 Tue 13-Feb-18 18:04:15

Supermagicsmile I didn't know E45 did a shampoo at all,let alone one for an itch scalp!

HesterShaw Tue 13-Feb-18 18:06:33

Have you tried a shampoo without sulfates? Sorry if that's very obvious.

SmileEachDay Tue 13-Feb-18 18:07:22

Get the doctor to check it - I had a flare up of psoriasis which started itchy and ended up pustulated.

And yes, that is as gross as it sounds.

Spangles1963 Tue 13-Feb-18 18:07:25

LizzieSiddal Thanks for the link and the recommendation. I've seen Nizoral in the chemist and wondered whether it was any good.

Spangles1963 Tue 13-Feb-18 18:10:50

SmileEachDay Pustulated. envy (not envy! Yes,I think I'm going to mention it to the doctor (got an appointment for something else in a weeks time).

Tapandgo Tue 13-Feb-18 18:14:00

Am I the only one now scratching my head after reading this?

Ilovewheelychairs Tue 13-Feb-18 18:15:16

Another option, but my Mum was told to try taking a good B vitamin complex for her itchy head, and it’s wirked wonders!

Ilovewheelychairs Tue 13-Feb-18 18:15:30

*worked

nNina22 Tue 13-Feb-18 18:19:45

Definitely see your GP for a dermatologist referral and proper diagnosis. I have been treated for itchy and inflamed scalp for several years now. I don't want to worry you unnecessarily but the aim of the treatment FOR ME is to dampen down the inflammation, as it leads to damaged hair follicles and gradual hair loss over the years.

Spangles1963 Tue 13-Feb-18 18:22:34

Tapandgo Sorry! grin
nNina22 Bloody hell that's got me worried now! Yes,I am definitely going to see the doctor about it.

GreasyFryUp Tue 13-Feb-18 18:32:35

I got scalp ringworm once. Itchy scalp for ages before doctor diagnosed.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now