Talk

Advanced search

To think neighbour needs to do something about her dog??

(28 Posts)
DreamsTonite Tue 13-Feb-18 16:43:24

So we have lived in this house for 17 months. Always got along fine with next door neighbour (and no problems with any of the other neighbours) a year ago she got a dog from the dogs home.
Clearly has problems as she told me the dog poos in her bedroom on a regular basis etc.
A few months after she got it she started going out in the daytime (she doesn’t work as she is a foster carer and has foster children staying at her home) and it started barking and howling. I was understanding at first and spoke to her about it - I was very nice and just said I don’t know if she knew but it barked a lot when she wasnt Home. She was very nasty about it and said it doesn’t.
After a couple more months it was barking/howling/whining non stop and she would throw it in the garden. I can hear it constantly. It was driving me mental and I was crying because it was so bad so I reported her to the council and to the RSPCA as she never walks it etc.

She started walking it as she must have got a letter and now she’s got a foster baby who’s a few weeks old and has stopped taking the dog out. As I type I’ve got the television on full blast and can still hear the dog barking and howling.

What can I do? Surely she has to do something about it! I think it would be in the dog’s best interest if she rehomed it and surely a dog that poos in the house can’t be good for a baby?

Snowydaysarehere Tue 13-Feb-18 16:45:21

Ring Ss.

SneakyGremlins Tue 13-Feb-18 16:45:39

Call the RSPCA again. Can you record the noise?

Blankuser1992 Tue 13-Feb-18 16:52:48

Ring the RSPCA again.

If she has a duty of care to children coming and going she clearly can not devote the time to a rescue dog.

DreamsTonite Tue 13-Feb-18 16:53:43

@SneakyGremlins what an idiot! I never thought of that haha - have just recorded a full minute of the dog howling/barking so at least this time when I contact them I’ll have some evidence. We’ve got cats and it drives the cats mad too.

SneakyGremlins Tue 13-Feb-18 16:57:22

Try and make multiple recordings - so they know it's not a one off and she can't say it only happened once?

Smeaton Tue 13-Feb-18 17:00:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BMW6 Tue 13-Feb-18 17:01:03

Ring RSPCA

Tainbri Tue 13-Feb-18 17:01:27

Also environmental health as surely it's a nuisance noise? Agree with recording and keeping a diary/record. Poor dog.

HildaZelda Tue 13-Feb-18 17:02:22

I feel for you OP. I had a similar situation with a neighbour a few years ago. He had 2 German Shepherds and basically used them for breeding. They were kept in a run about 8 feet long and 2 feet wide by the side of the house and barked the place down morning, noon and night. He never took them out for a walk, never exercised them etc, they were just left in the run 24/7.
A few of us in the neighbourhood attempted to talk to him and he got VERY aggressive. I eventually rang the RSPCA and they were absolutely useless. They told me that as long as they were being fed and not beaten then it wasn't considered 'neglect'. hmm I told them that were left in a tiny run all day but they just didn't seem to care.
Neighbour was renting the house and moved out about six months later taking said dogs with him.

Floralnomad Tue 13-Feb-18 17:03:27

Call the noise people at the council , the RSPCA will do nothing for you. Keep a log of all the times it barks from now on .

LizzieSiddal Tue 13-Feb-18 17:04:04

I too would make recordings for a couple of days. Then phone SOcial services. They need to know what kind of home that baby is living in. I wouldn’t bother with RSPCA, as my primary concern would be the baby than the dog.

MichaelBendfaster Tue 13-Feb-18 17:16:30

Yep, the RSPCA are legendarily useless/toothless. Call environmental health about the noise nuisance, and social services. Poor fucking dog (and baby, and you and your cats, of course!)

FancyThatFenceEdge Tue 13-Feb-18 17:24:46

Dunno how you put up with it all OP.

Feel for you. Personally I'd shoot the dog if it were possible. Granted, not the dogs fault, but it'd be one way of dealing with a problem like this.

TacoFlavouredKisses Tue 13-Feb-18 17:28:16

Personally I'd shoot the dog if it were possible. Granted, not the dogs fault, but it'd be one way of dealing with a problem like this.

...what on earth.

Make lots of recordings OP and report to Environmental Health.

Twinkleheth Tue 13-Feb-18 19:14:40

Phone social services. As a foster carer she will have a supervising social worker who should know what the home situation is before a child/baby is placed there. There’s no way a dog you’ve described would pass a risk assessment. You can also contact local councillor and tell them this woman is a registered foster carer with them (unless she’s with a private agency, but even so social services can intervene if child protection issues) it sounds like she probably is prioritising needs of the baby though. But it might push her into actually doing something with and for that poor dog.

Farfel Tue 13-Feb-18 19:19:09

So that baby doesn't only have the dog to disturb his/her sleep, but also the neighbour's television on full blast?

mustbemad17 Tue 13-Feb-18 19:21:26

Don't suppose you know where she got it from? If it's from a proper rescue group or centre i'd get in touch with them...i know that our rescues would be devastated & would want the dog back

RavenLG Tue 13-Feb-18 20:00:39

Personally I'd shoot the dog if it were possible.
What the fuck is wrong with you!

OP, as others have said make recordings and phone RSPCA again. Keep calling until something is done, hopefully the dog is taken off her and someone takes care of it properly. I'd be tempted to contact the council and the foster care team as if the dog is as loud as you say surely those children are being affected by it sleep wise etc.

snash12 Tue 13-Feb-18 20:18:08

Poor dog sounds like it’s left one bad home and entered another. If it’s a rescue it most likely came with a guideline on what it needed (ie no kids or someone who is at home all day or whatever). I wonder if you can find out where she rescued it from as they would probably be interested too.

snash12 Tue 13-Feb-18 20:22:27

I see on this thread some people have had bad experiences with rspca. I have had to report animal abuse twice and both times they were very helpful and both times the animals were removed. I don’t know if it’s a priority thing because There are so many reports but one horse I reported I drove past every day on my way to work. He was obviously lame, bleeding wounds and from what I could see, no water bucket or feed in his field.

Awful that so many people have such disregard for animals on top of not being considerate of neighbours when it comes to noise etc

mustbemad17 Tue 13-Feb-18 20:25:37

Snash the RSPCA usually won't touch horses abandoned in fields unless they're visibly injured.
I've had some shocking experiences with the RSPCA, including being asked to collect a staff from a home - three children removed by SS, three dogs in the property. RSPCA left the staff there & told a rescue group i worked with we had two days to collect him or he was PTS. No aggression, no issues. Just breeding.

To me the RSPCA have lost sight of what they are meant to do. They ignore the five basic freedoms that the law says applies to animal welfare

snash12 Tue 13-Feb-18 20:34:14

@mustbemad17

I think in the case of the horse I saw he was visibly injured so maybe that’s the only reason why something happened.

It’s horrible, I dread to think of the neglect / abuse going on with no consequences or action. I feel bad enough if my dog is an hour late being fed I don’t know how people live with themselves treating animals like nothing.

mustbemad17 Tue 13-Feb-18 20:38:48

Possibly. Which is sad for an organisation that pulls in the money the RSPCA does.
I'm the same, i take dogs as foster & some come to me in shit state. It makes me so angry. Cases like the OP describe boil my piss because the rescue believe that their dog is in a safe, loving environment

chuffnstuff Tue 13-Feb-18 20:49:33

OP, I feel for you. I used to live in a house where next doors dog was like this. They got it as a rescue at 6 months. Every single time they left the house the dog howled constantly, and I mean constantly. I reported to RSPCA and environmental health and got nowhere. Once the dog was on its own for 12 hours, 12 fucking hours and RSPCA said that because it was indoors and the owner finally came back (!), it wasn't neglected!!!! I'd reported them to the council on that occasion and got a knock on the door from the neighbours. Yes, I said, it was me that reported you, because leaving that dog when it is clearly in distress at being on its own is abuse. I then got the 'well you go to work and leave your dog on its own' Yes I do, but my dog sleeps (I have recorded him) and I have a dog walker. 'We tried a behaviourist but he wanted us to treat him like a dog, but he's a member of our family'. 'We've bought him more toys', 'we leave the radio on'. Well bully for you, but it isn't working!! I could tune myself out to the noise, but the cruelty element on the poor dog sent me over the edge. They couldn't see it. Luckily we were able to move.

Keep on and on at the council. I built up a relationship with environmental health, and they admitted they couldn't take it further, though if they had the power, they would have done.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: