Talk

Advanced search

School use of Twitter

(9 Posts)
Justturned50 Tue 13-Feb-18 15:54:14

Encourages over use for SM? Assumes pupils have full and regular access and are sitting watching and waiting for instructions rather than getting on with the work or following advice and taking breaks from SM?

Its all starting to really get on my nerves. Parents are expected to be following the school's numerous accounts for individual subjects and school trips just to find anything out. If your feed doesn't refresh then you've missed the request for passports or completed forms etc.

AIBU to think that a email is still a more effective and efficient method of communication. This mainly affects 6th formers most of whom must have email accounts?

DGRossetti Tue 13-Feb-18 16:54:15

AIBU to think that a email is still a more effective and efficient method of communication

You're not, but there are still people who are glued to the phone sad

TabbyMumz Tue 13-Feb-18 18:45:04

They should use both. Personally I wouldn't read the email, I'm reliant on DH reading it and telling me, but if they put it on Twitter too I'm happy. Our school use Twitter to share good news stories, how kids have got on in out of school activities etc. Where it goes wrong is when some parents tweet things repeatedly about their child's sporting events and the school retweet EVERY SINGLE ONE. Gets a bit tiresome hearing about how absolutely marvellous the same child is over and over, especially when there are other kids doing the same activity and hardly get a mention. Rant over. Breath.

Glumglowworm Tue 13-Feb-18 18:49:38

They should use both. People will always have preferences for the best way to be contacted, covering all bases works for everyone.

I agree email is best for anything that may need to be refered back to (requests for x item, kit list for trips etc) and twitter for the “look at year 9 doing science aren’t we awesome” “Darren won the egg and spoon race well done Darren” type posts that nobody really cares about that don’t matter if they get missed.

Justturned50 Tue 13-Feb-18 21:49:04

School just uses Twitter and FB for pretty much everything; calling kids to meetings with information/instructions about school trips; reminders about homework and kit to be brought in; payments to be made. I'm trying to wind down the SM as we all seem to be always glued to it but this means we have little choice. Just grates a little.

TabbyMumz Wed 14-Feb-18 09:58:08

Why do some threads get masses of responses, and some none? I would have thought this would be an interesting topic?

TabbyMumz Wed 14-Feb-18 09:59:36

My kids don't look at the school twitter sites or Facebook. Most of them seem glued to Snapchat. So if the message was to the kids, they wouldn't get it.

BrownTurkey Wed 14-Feb-18 10:17:45

No, they need to be on Instagram for the students to see it.

AuntieStella Wed 14-Feb-18 10:21:00

I think schools need to be careful about use of social media, because not everyone uses every platform.

I think a text alert system is best for urgent messages (like an unexpected closure) as there's a good chance that people will have their phones with them even if they have already left.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now