Talk

Advanced search

To think that some people in Yorkshire have surprisingly weak handshakes?

(85 Posts)
dieselKiller Tue 13-Feb-18 15:39:44

Three people recently have given me the weakest handshakes. Its not just that they didn't give a little squeeze but they didn't even use their own muscles to maintain the shape of their hand or support its weight. This has only ever happened to me in Yorkshire. AIBU to think that its specific to Yorkshire or has this happened to you in other parts of the UK?

BuckysRoboticArm Tue 13-Feb-18 15:43:36

I'm calling it.

Goawayquickly Tue 13-Feb-18 15:44:26

No, only Yorkshire for me too. The Isle of Wight tend to shake firmly I find.

liz70 Tue 13-Feb-18 15:44:50

Yes, people from Yorkshire have genetically weaker wrists than the rest of the population, due to all the cap wringing their ancestors had to do when stood in front of their betters.

NoFuckingRoomOnMyBroom Tue 13-Feb-18 15:47:39

Is this one of those annoying piss take threads or are you really just talking utter, utter bollocks? hmm

NobodysChild Tue 13-Feb-18 15:50:40

Were you in a shop by any chance? I think those are mannequins and not proper Yorkshire folk.

dieselKiller Tue 13-Feb-18 15:53:40

For context I mostly shake hands with Americans and people from the South East. Most people have normal handshakes in Yorkshire too, but 3 in quick succession made me wonder if it was a local phenomenon.

LuxuryMilk Tue 13-Feb-18 15:55:55

I know someone from Yorkshire who has a weak handshake. He also goes to give a kiss and cuddle when greeting but then kind of holds himself a few centimetres from you so he’s just hovering on you. It’s weird.

Never noticed it from anyone else that way!

Littlefrogletx Tue 13-Feb-18 15:56:22

Yes it is a local phenomenon. Im from Yorkshire and we actually get taught in school how to provide weak hand shakes. Weve been rumbled. Shit.

falsepriest Tue 13-Feb-18 15:57:09

But the best tea so it evens out.

Hoppinggreen Tue 13-Feb-18 15:57:47

Its because we generally have to use our left hands as we clutch our whippets in our right hands

Baaaaaaaaaaaa Tue 13-Feb-18 15:59:58

Wow.

FranticallyPeaceful Tue 13-Feb-18 16:00:58

I’ve noticed that people from Yorkshire seem to be genuinely nicer people than across the board. My guess is that it stems from the fact Yorkshire folk to the rest of UK are like Canadians to Americans - non intimidating, more down to earth and generally good people.

I’ve never noticed the handshake thing personally though, but definitely noticed how friendly they are. I personally welcome it!

AntArcticFox Tue 13-Feb-18 16:01:28

You are meant to keep hands in pockets due the the bitter northeast wind.

prettywhiteguitar Tue 13-Feb-18 16:02:12

They just didn't want to touch you grin

CassandraCross Tue 13-Feb-18 16:02:20

Mebbes they are just reluctant to waste their grip on one who is not from God's Own Country.

SimpleCreature Tue 13-Feb-18 16:03:09

I'm a Yorkshireman. I break peoples fingers when I shake their hand, and don't even notice. Hard as nails, me.

StereophonicallyChallenged Tue 13-Feb-18 16:03:21

I shook hands with someone at work today and she almost took my arm off. It was YOU wasn't it OP grin

gillybeanz Tue 13-Feb-18 16:03:40

yes, they have little practice, usually only when meeting a lancashire person, naturally their superior grin
it's ideally placed to keep the bad weather off lancashire, it's it's only purpose tbh. grin

dieselKiller Tue 13-Feb-18 16:04:24

I've noticed that too, FranticallyPeaceful. Love Yorkshire folk - so much more outgoing than people in the South East for example. That's partly why the handshake thing is surprising.

Notsoaccidentproneanymore Tue 13-Feb-18 16:05:46

We probably didn’t want to be contaminated by non Yorkshire folk. But you insisted on shaking, so we went for as little contact as possible 🙃

Notsoaccidentproneanymore Tue 13-Feb-18 16:07:47

Actually the majority of bad weather comes in across the Irish Sea. That’s why west of the Pennines has significantly more rain than the east of the Pennines!

AntArcticFox Tue 13-Feb-18 16:08:58

It's a warmer wind in Lancashire though..

Showergel1 Tue 13-Feb-18 16:10:14

I've given two consecutive weak handshakes recently. I went home and cringed about both of them. The second was worse because I told myself to up my hand shake game after the first weak one and failed miserably.
However I'm a Lancastrian so this adds no merit to your working theory.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 13-Feb-18 16:12:29

It happens everywhere. I shook 5 hands today. 2 were wishy washy. This was darn sarf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now