Talk

Advanced search

Abu to think valentines day/Christmas doesn't have to be about 'tat'?

(5 Posts)
Youngmystery Tue 13-Feb-18 15:34:15

Just been reading another thread and I saw a theme in it as I did with Christmas or anniversary threads, that some just think it's about buying commercial tat that shops want you to buy and it's pointless and stupid.

I don't really get this. It doesn't have to be genetic presents you buy someone for valentines day. I've got my boyfriend a ds game he's been wanting and some of those stylus pen things for the ds with characters from the game he likes. Nothing commercial, it's what I know he wants.

Same with Christmas really. Can buy the generic stuff, but you don't have to. Other than chocolate I don't think I've ever bought any 'tat' or generic stuff. Anyone else?

Sparklingbrook Tue 13-Feb-18 15:37:39

Personally (and I am an old married so may be relevant) Valentine's Day does not even feature in my life. No presents at all. Generic or otherwise.
We buy each other stuff all year round, as and when.

Youngmystery Tue 13-Feb-18 15:40:35

Stupid phone auto corrected aibu...

That's what we do as well Sparklingbrook. He bought me a lovely necklace a few months ago and a statue thing carved out of wood (at a Christmas fair he didn't even want to go to). Although not been in a relationship as long as you.

Namechangetempissue Tue 13-Feb-18 15:42:37

No of course not, you can buy what you like. It doesn't need to be red and heart-shaped. Personally, DH and I don't do Valentines Day. It just isn't our thing. We buy stuff for each other as and when we see it throughout the year. I always hated getting cards as a teenager, even opening them in private made me cringe!

Sparklingbrook Tue 13-Feb-18 15:43:49

I think way back when, when we were dating a valentine card or two was bought and maybe some flowers sent but I think we feel it unnecessary now.

I feel it's mainly for teenagers really.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: