Talk

Advanced search

to be secretly thrilled dd has broken her tablet??

(5 Posts)
mommytoboo86 Tue 13-Feb-18 13:49:00

My dd is 4.5yo & dropped her tablet in the toilet yesterday and it is completely fried. Now I am annoyed that's she's broken it cos I knew shed be asking for a replacement and I am very cross that she went against the rules and took it in the bathroom in the first place. However, I am doing a mental happy dance that it is broken because imho she uses it too much although this is entirely my fault as it started out as a distraction device on a 4 hour train ride but quickly morphed into a reward item and finally became a reward AND punishment item.
I have told her I am NOT buying a new one and she is not using her dad's.
Aibu?

goose1964 Tue 13-Feb-18 13:51:58

No ,I understand how easy it is to give a young child a tablet to keep them quiet at that age she should be doing creative play , using her imagination and running around,not sitting staring at ascreen

LemonShark Tue 13-Feb-18 13:53:12

YANBU at all! She broke the rules going into the bathroom with it and has now learned why that rule was in place. Use this as a good opportunity to prevent tonnes of time on it now it's not there.

This isn't against you OP cos I know it's the norm now but I can't get over how so many very small children have their own iPads. They're incredibly expensive items that are fragile to boot!

Jammycustard Tue 13-Feb-18 13:54:03

She’s quite young for a tablet though, and if you don’t want her to be on it, take it away?

mommytoboo86 Tue 13-Feb-18 14:36:41

thanks 4 the replies. It has caused a bit of an arguement cos my sister thinks ibcu as it was an accident and has threatened 2 by dd a new 1 herself.

I forgot to add in my OP that dd will get a new 1 eventually (the plan had always been to get her a new 1 for her birthday in June). The tablet was an old 1 of my dhs that was too slow for what he wanted so not expensive but a new 1 will cost me £50.
Also, while I thought she was addicted 2 it she hasn't had any kind of negative reaction to being told she couldn't use her dad's, and hasn't asked for it at all today since I told her my attempt to save it didn't work but she has bought me her savings pot and said can she buy a new 1.
x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now