Talk

Advanced search

To do this?

(13 Posts)
HannaPintura Tue 13-Feb-18 11:45:05

I posted last week of my struggles with my boyfriend and how he treats me and was advised to LTB. My tenancy which is joint with him ends in July. I have developed severe anxiety since being with him and seem to be stressed constantly and the thought about the move is really making me feel ill. I used to be so carefree too!

Anyway, I've seen a beautiful house, well within my means financially, in a perfect area. It's really captured my heart. I can imagine being truly happy there. Only problem is is that I can't end the lease on my current house til July.

So I thought of getting a loan for a few thousand to pay rental fees, rent etc on new house, repay spread over about 5 years, it works out at £75 per month which I can afford if I cut back slightly on other things like luxuries etc. that would mean I could still pay rent and bills on current property til July but have my new life and new house all ready sorted for me for when it's time and I'd have 5 months to move my stuff in. I would plan to not use gas/elec/water til July as such so wouldn't have double bills on both properties, just council tax.

Am I being silly?

Fishface77 Tue 13-Feb-18 11:48:25

Fab. Do it. It will be worth the short term struggle.

elelfrance Tue 13-Feb-18 11:49:01

If you don't have other debt, sounds like a reasonable thing to do

HannaPintura Tue 13-Feb-18 11:54:19

Hi I don't have any other debt to pay off so this would be my only one. I'm in a secure job (been here 10 years) and the new house is in a little village population 500 so they're very rare to come by. How long do loans take to come through?

Snowydaysarehere Tue 13-Feb-18 11:56:50

My dc got his loan approved the same day. Cash a couple of days later.

Schroedingerscatagain Tue 13-Feb-18 12:00:00

I read your other thread, do it and do it now! That horrible man doesn’t deserve you and you deserve to be happy flowers

AllButterShortbread Tue 13-Feb-18 12:01:09

Double check re council tax as it varies. The last time we had a crossover of dates between moving we were told we only had to pay for the property we were actually living in. I suspect it may depend on who answers the phone at the council office sometimes but it’s worth checking.

Good luck flowers

MyBrilliantDisguise Tue 13-Feb-18 12:01:25

But you'd have to be responsible for the bills from day 1, wouldn't you?

Can you speak to your landlord and ask whether you can end the current tenancy now?

mumgointhroughtorture Tue 13-Feb-18 12:02:44

Could you move into new house now and just pay the rent off on the property you live in now ? Find someone trustworthy who you could let live in the old property cheaply . It seems a waste to put off your new life for 5 months .
Good luck with your new move smile

MyBrilliantDisguise Tue 13-Feb-18 12:06:02

Is a village the right place to live if you don't drive and have health issues, OP?

confusedhelpme Tue 13-Feb-18 12:08:33

You can get of a tenancy you know. I did, 8 weeks into it.

HannaPintura Tue 13-Feb-18 12:38:37

Thanks so much for all your replies. The new property is in a little village but is very well served by buses to about three lovely nearby towns, one being where I work. It would be less than 30 minutes journey to work rather than the current 2 hours one way now. I'd be saving 15 hours per week on traveling alone!

I just don't want it to be a stupid idea to get into debt for. I also don't want to leave my current house yet. It's too busy at work and I need to tie up the loose ends on my relationship. Also I don't trust my P to leave the property in a decent clean state when it's time to leave in July, so if I'm there til the end at least I can say I've wrapped everything up, and can go to my new house with less worries a bit the old one. Plus 5 months to move my stuff in is a dream!!! Just wondering what the agencies current and new would think about having a 5 month crossover or wouldn't they be bothered so long as they're getting paid?

Redfin Tue 13-Feb-18 12:41:27

I could be completely wrong but I was / am under the impression that if you leave a tenancy early you forfeit your deposit and that's it? So OP leaves now, informs LL or agency and they keep the deposit to cover the month's rent while they find new tenants?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now