Talk

Advanced search

Allocated parking

(21 Posts)
Louise19990 Tue 13-Feb-18 08:18:05

We live on a street of mixed houses/flats, private and housing association. Each property has 2 allocated parking spaces and there is also room to park on the street. Of the 4 houses in a tucked away corner (not directly on street), we are the only house with parking at the front, the others have parking at the back of the houses in a car park.

We have always had people parking in our spaces as it’s more convenient, mostly we ignore visitors etc as we only have one car. It is marked as private parking. A new family have moved in and are using our second space every day, parking close to our car making it difficult to open the car doors on one side (my kids not that careful so i’m worried we will mark their car!). I put a polite note on their car in case they thought it was public parking but this hasn’t stopped them.

A few days ago we parked in the middle of the two spaces but they still managed to squeeze in next to us making it impossible for me to open my driver door and they covered a pavement on the other side 😬 We have now resorted to borrowing a friends car to put on the second space but this will be only be for a few days.

AIBU to expect them to park elsewhere, leaving my extra allocated space free?

Queenofthestress Tue 13-Feb-18 08:20:44

Just go round and tell them to stop?

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Tue 13-Feb-18 08:21:41

Park at an angle.
Penguin bollards.
Paint your house number on the Tarmac.
Polite note through door.
That covers all bases.

ShatnersWig Tue 13-Feb-18 08:22:22

YANBU.

But clearly they are wankers and will just carry on. Your answer is a bollard.

Preferably a penguin one, but a boring metallic one will do just as well.

Sirzy Tue 13-Feb-18 08:22:29

Go and talk to them to explain?

JaneEyre70 Tue 13-Feb-18 08:22:44

If they are your spaces, put drop down bollards in. It's the only way.

billybagpuss Tue 13-Feb-18 08:25:07

Go round and then bollards if they persist cf

Namechangetempissue Tue 13-Feb-18 08:26:08

Park sideways across the spaces or at an angle short term. Long term, get a bollard as mentioned above.

rollingonariver Tue 13-Feb-18 08:26:12

Honestly I'd say to them they're free to park there if they're not going to park like twats. It's easier to keep relations positive, you may need something from them in future.

ThisLittleKitty Tue 13-Feb-18 08:41:19

No I wouldnt let them park there. I've lived I'm my area years and never needed anything from my neighbours. Just put the bollards.

JaneEyre70 Tue 13-Feb-18 09:02:04

You can also end up with a situation where if they use that space all the time, it's passed onto the next owner/renter as part of the deal with their house. If it's legally yours, enforce it.

FluffyWuffy100 Tue 13-Feb-18 09:06:05

Spend £80 on two bollards and an hour installing them. Job done.

SparkleFizz Tue 13-Feb-18 09:08:49

Agree you should look into bollards or some other method of physically blocking the spaces.

From what you say about other people parking there because it’s more convenient, its clearly a problem that is going to continue even if the new neighbours listen to you and find somewhere else to park.

Softkitty2 Tue 13-Feb-18 09:10:55

No don't let them park at all. Give them an inch and they will take a mile.

Park diagonally.

Snowydaysarehere Tue 13-Feb-18 09:11:20

Shame them on youparklikeatwat or similar.

Findingdotty Tue 13-Feb-18 09:11:36

I think a lockable bollard is your only way forward unless you know that they are renting. If so you could try their landlord or letting agency. Might be hard to find that out though.

BoneyBackJefferson Tue 13-Feb-18 09:50:21

Don't let them get away with this, it doesn't matter if you don't use it you are paying for it.

If you give this up you might as well pay for their broad band, tv or rent.

araiwa Tue 13-Feb-18 09:53:05

Ask them for £50 a month for it

Angrybird345 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:22:17

Park at an angle. Do they know for sure it’s your space?

Louise19990 Tue 13-Feb-18 10:43:21

Thanks for the replies. We had the same situation about 5 years ago and those neighbours never spoke to us again when we blocked off the space with plant pots. I’m going to pop round and speak to them later but just get the feeling that it won’t make a difference. Looks like we’ll have to get bollards.

DanielCraigsUnderpants Tue 13-Feb-18 11:14:52

Always best to have the friendly polite chat first but if they're going to keep doing it then bollard it up with a clear conscience

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now