Talk

Advanced search

to ask what you would do if

(16 Posts)
Uhuhhoney Mon 12-Feb-18 21:59:22

you were assigned and given NO work in the office?

SweetMoon Mon 12-Feb-18 22:00:17

Ask for some

Loz604 Mon 12-Feb-18 22:03:44

Shadow others? Learn what else is going on as ‘career development’. Is it no work because there isn’t any? Question your boss in a casual way?

Uhuhhoney Mon 12-Feb-18 22:06:05

questioned my boss, asked to learn new skills (e.g. go on training courses paid for by myself), asked others if they need assistance, filed every single document in the building!

I want to be busy but I don't know what else to do

InToMyHeart Mon 12-Feb-18 22:14:21

Nothing drags like a day at work when you have nothing to do, it can feel endless!

Loz604 Mon 12-Feb-18 22:16:33

What field are you in? Can you do some of your own research/ project? X

Merryoldgoat Mon 12-Feb-18 22:19:28

Leave. That was me for 8 months when I briefly moved sectors. I am an extremely proactive person and detest being bored or underemployed.

Every offer to shadow, take on more, upskill etc was met with irritation from my manager.

I found something new quickly which was a big jump - it was a lot more responsibility and much harder but also a lot more money. Best choice ever.

Stretch yourself and be brave. You won’t regret it.

PatheticNamechange Mon 12-Feb-18 22:25:26

Nothing drags like a day at work when you have nothing to do, it can feel endless!

Omg yes. And the thought that when you wake up in the morning, you have to go back there for another 8 hours of nothing.

Soul destroying

Uhuhhoney Mon 12-Feb-18 22:27:00

literally the definition of soul-destroying!

haven't been here long - first job above the minimum wage since graduating in Dec!

Feel rubbish for quitting, rubbish for staying

Uhuhhoney Mon 12-Feb-18 22:28:28

I'm in the pharmaceutical field - can't do my own project as I would need ethics. I'm assisting others, but as nice as they are, there doesn't seem to be an awful lot I can help them with (there isn't enough work to go around)

Merryoldgoat Mon 12-Feb-18 22:33:42

Why do they do that? Why add staffing when it’s just not necessary?

Really sorry OP - I’d definitely keep looking if I were you. A job like that will grind you down.

When interviewing be honest about why you’re moving so fast too. I was very diplomatic but was clear that I was underemployed and not in a position where using my initiative was encouraged.

If the new place is similar they won’t hire you and if it’s not they’ll be glad to hear you won’t piss about.

BoomBoomsCousin Mon 12-Feb-18 22:37:41

Start looking for a new position. If things actually pick up you don’t have to leave, but if you are career driven at all you are squandering time here (not to mention how grim it is to sit around with nothing to do).

Also, are there any online courses you could do (ideally ones your employer has vetted, but free moocs would still be better than nothing) that would supplement or complement your skills? Not just in pharmaceutical-y things, but also prep for the next step into supervision and management, or business writing, budgeting, pricing, whatever.

Uhuhhoney Mon 12-Feb-18 22:38:09

It's so frustrating! I was so excited to get this job, after months of working in a supermarket (nothing wrong with this, just that my degree wasnt being used!)

I love the team, love the idea of the job, but I just feel anxious sitting around doing nothing! I would rather be over-worked.

I was thinking of arranging a one-on-one meeting with the main manager (who is lovely and told me today that my references were outstanding) and maybe asking how I can utilise my skills more. He's not particularly busy, and usually chats to me throughout the day - so he might be of help?? IS this any point though ? sad

BoomBoomsCousin Mon 12-Feb-18 22:38:54

Do you have other offices you could organize to visit? Or a professional/trade organization that puts on events?

Uhuhhoney Mon 12-Feb-18 22:49:25

@BoomBoomsCousin

Yes, I've asked if I can go to the office adjacent to us that deals with a similar project, and been told that it will "be organised".

I haven't even signed my contract yet, and it's been 3 weeks sad

BoomBoomsCousin Mon 12-Feb-18 23:04:49

I would definitely be looking for a new position. If they have loads of time but can’t get round to something like that it’s highly unlikely it’ll ever be a great place to build experience. Can you do some networking of your own? Ask if you can arrange the office visit since you have time on your hands, who should you talk to, are there other offices/projects you could visit, etc. Be a bit pushy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now