Talk

Advanced search

DD10 has been eating coffee beans

(28 Posts)
upsideup Mon 12-Feb-18 21:52:54

Is it dangerous?
She has just come down stairs to say she can't sleep and admitted its probably because shes been eating coffee beans for the last two days, she says she only had a few but we dont know how true that is.
She seems fine apart from not being tired and has got upset but only just because she can tell me and DH are worried. We've read online that you can actually eat coffee beans but cant find anything about how many, the dangers or effects on children.
Apart from making sure she does not do it again, do we need to be worried or do anything more?

Pooshweens Mon 12-Feb-18 21:53:53

They must taste awful! I don't think they'll do any damage unless she ate loads

twinone Mon 12-Feb-18 21:54:57

My dd loves coffee beans in chocolate. They aren't sold with a health warning on them, so I assume they are safe.

PatheticNamechange Mon 12-Feb-18 21:55:10

I would be worried it is some weight loss fad.
I have read that this is one of the few things victoria beckham eats.

Idontdowindows Mon 12-Feb-18 21:58:28

They're safe enough for human consumption as they are and in moderation, but she won't need a trampoline for a while.

All joking aside, impress on her it can be dangerous for her to eat them like that, especially in larger quantities. I'd be curious to find out why she is eating them though.

OutyMcOutface Mon 12-Feb-18 21:58:46

You can actually die from a caffeine overdose but it would take more than a few coffee beans. But has she had anything else with caffeine? Energy drinks for example? When did she last sleep? What other symptoms of an overdose does she have? Is she shakey/jittery? Anxious? Vomiting/nauseous? Dizzy? Is she sweaty/is her heart beating too fast?

Madcatter Mon 12-Feb-18 22:01:01

You can buy chocolate coated coffee beans in Nero so I'd imagine the reason you can't find any info on their safety is because they're not in the least bit dangerous. In fact unless she's eaten absolutely loads of them doubt she's even had that much caffeine. Think about 1 ground up and then think about how many you'd need for 1 cup of coffee. If anything she probably just didn't fall asleep straight away then started stressing herself out thinking it was the coffee beans and ended up thinking herself into insomnia. She'll be fine.

UpstartCrow Mon 12-Feb-18 22:04:09

I think she'll be ok but you do need to warn her that isnt safe.

The symptoms of caffeine overdose are noticeable and serious, such as palpitations, erratic fast heartbeat, sweating, dizziness and nausea.
www.healthline.com/health/caffeine-overdose#symptoms

upsideup Mon 12-Feb-18 22:05:56

Thankyou for the replies, We are giving her lots of water and staying up with her to make sure shes okay. Shes saying she dosnt remember but she thinks only a few, so really that could mean anything.

OutyMcOutface
Nothing else with caffine, shes anxious but I think shes just upset/worried that shes done something wrong ans she didnt realise it was dangerous, she isnt sweaty or feeling sick but we are keeping a close eye.

Madcatter Mon 12-Feb-18 22:06:12

Sorry just seen she's 10 which is perhaps a bit young in terms of judging an appropriate quantity. Nonetheless, I'd still have thought she'd have to eat a hell of a lot before they made her ill.

InToMyHeart Mon 12-Feb-18 22:06:27

Loads of people eat coffee beans covered in chocolate, they were really trendy a few years ago. Probably not the best snack for a child but they won't do her any harm.
Good luck getting her to sleep though!

FluffyWuffy100 Mon 12-Feb-18 22:06:41

Ah, I remember the time I wolfed down an entire bowl of chocolate covered coffee beans... and didn’t sleep a wink that night.

She’ll be fine. Tell her to listen to an audiobook and relax and she’ll drop off eventually (or not, and have a tough tired day tomorrow but hey ho she’ll live)

FluffyWuffy100 Mon 12-Feb-18 22:07:20

Why are you giving her lots of water and staying up with her??? You’re making her panicky ffs!

MrsPestilence Mon 12-Feb-18 22:10:06

The chocolate coated ones are ever so moreish, I can eat loads. They keep me awake, but are safe.

Why not snuggle down with her and a book. Ask her what chocolate (if any) they had on? Did she enjoy them? Where did she get them? Maybe she should eat less in future.

They are usually quite an adult taste. Make her feel loved and find out what is going on. It is an unusual thing for a 10 year old to get hold of.

InToMyHeart Mon 12-Feb-18 22:11:33

Why are you giving her lots of water and staying up with her??? You’re making her panicky ffs!

Very true - she'd probably be asleep by now if you weren't frightening her! It's really no different to drinking coffee!

upsideup Mon 12-Feb-18 22:12:11

FluffyWuffy100

No, we are actually calming her down, she came down stairs panicking.

Wolfiefan Mon 12-Feb-18 22:12:29

What does she mean she doesn't remember? Sounds like she isn't being honest.

meredintofpandiculation Mon 12-Feb-18 22:13:06

I was drinking a daily cup ground coffee by the time I was 5 years old. So that would be about a heaped dessert spoon of grounds. Suppose that's 50% extraction of coffee, so equivalent to eating half a dessert spoon of grounds, or maybe 3/4 dessert spoon of beans.

Catatlarge Mon 12-Feb-18 22:15:26

Surely sending her back to bed with a ‘you’ll be fine you silly sod” is more reassuring than sitting with her making a big deal out of it, googling for stuff, getting her to drink ‘lots of wate’? !

upsideup Mon 12-Feb-18 22:20:04

Just to clarify DD doesnt know we were googled and posted on here (which we only did to check if she was in fact okay because we were not sure). She was already in tears and panicking when she came down to us, all we have done is comforted her and told her she will be fine , she's cuddled up with DH on the sofa, we are not frightening her.

stickytoffeevodka Mon 12-Feb-18 22:21:03

Why not just give her a cuddle and send her back to bed?

Staying up with her and giving her lots of water is only going to reinforce the idea that she's done something bad or dangerous.

Wolfiefan Mon 12-Feb-18 22:21:25

Why did she eat them?
Why is she panicking?
I agree with the PP About the weight loss thing. Would worry me. Odd behaviour.

Fruufruu Mon 12-Feb-18 22:22:12

I used to eat bags of them coated in chocolate as a teenager. They'd give her a stomach ache long before she got major symptoms of having too much caffeine in my experience - a big coffee from a high street coffee shop makes me far more jittery than a snack bag of whole beans. You might want to suggest snacking on chocolate coated peanuts or raisins instead though in future for the sake of her sleep! smile

robertaplumkin Mon 12-Feb-18 22:34:30

yum! lovely dipped in chocolate

LanaorAna2 Mon 12-Feb-18 22:37:03

Weird thing to do at 10 - let's hope the consequences put her off. Tell her not to do it again and take her to bed. A sleepless night never hurt anyone, she'll be fine, altho maybe not a coffee fan for a few years smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now