Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to be frustrated

(18 Posts)
knickerelasticgonetwang Mon 12-Feb-18 21:33:27

So here goes. Dd got home from school saying she is itching so checked for headlice found some so treated her and the family. Treated again and got us all clear. The school is on this and has asked all parents to treat their children. So this is why I am pissed 😤 she has got them again. She has said that one family do not treat their kids so I am furious that we make sure we are treating ours but thinking now why I should bother when she keeps getting them. Help

Dancingfairy Mon 12-Feb-18 21:36:46

"Why should you bother?" confused

Lucymek Mon 12-Feb-18 21:37:33

Speak to nitty kids parents ?

Saltandsauce Mon 12-Feb-18 21:39:19

Ah this happens all the time, did you treat again after 1 week?? Sometimes you can miss a couple of eggs and they just start breeding again. Also make sure she never goes to school with her hair down, but in a plait or tight pony. I never had lice through school, because my hair was always pulled back so tight I looked constantly surprised 😂😂
DD has a time of getting them constantly and it freaked me out. She now looks like I did haha x

Saltandsauce Mon 12-Feb-18 21:40:02

*had not has

Mamabear14 Mon 12-Feb-18 21:40:39

You just have to keep treating. Make sure hair is tied in plaits or a bun and spray tea tree in it. Nitty gritty comb every other day to keep on top of it. Yes it's a right pain when others don't but you couldn't leave her itchy could you?! I think the comb is actually best as I don't think any lotions that say they kill eggs actually do. I've treated my son with them and still found eggs under by his neck after.

lurkingnotlurking Mon 12-Feb-18 21:42:29

Nitty gritty prevention spray appears to work - over one year nit-free

knickerelasticgonetwang Mon 12-Feb-18 21:45:13

Yes I have done this weekly also done the conditioner thing got a nit comb which is being done every other day. Have not tried tea tree but will give it a try

choseausername1 Mon 12-Feb-18 21:46:33

I’m seriously tempted to send my 3 DDs school a bill for every comb, remedy and my time for this!!

I check their hair every day. The most the school does is send out a fecking note ‘someone in the class has headlice’. It’s the most useless, passive system ever.

knickerelasticgonetwang Mon 12-Feb-18 21:56:23

Hands up all who thinks that the nit nurse should be brought back. I would not mind my child being looked at by them

choseausername1 Mon 12-Feb-18 22:34:02

I wish they would. Last treatment to be repeated this weekend cost €43.

I’ll pay the flaming nit nurse myself!

Pfb12345 Mon 12-Feb-18 22:48:36

As a teacher of reception aged children I wish there was more we could do about headlice. We also send out letters weekly (honestly it's that bad) and it's the same children re-infecting the others because some parents just CBA. We are not allowed to do anymore than this and so nothing changes. I personally think leaving your child with headlice is abuse and I've seen children with bleeding and infected scalps because they have itched so much and not been treated. My heart breaks for these children because all we can do is refer to school nurse who's visits are few and far between and flag it as a potential safeguarding issue but nothing gets done. The parents of children who do treat headlice end up endlessly frustrated at letters and often complain to me but what else can I do.. I'd love to have a solution.

Pfb12345 Mon 12-Feb-18 22:50:12

Can almost guarantee that the ones who need the nit nurse would have permission refused.

storynanny Mon 12-Feb-18 22:53:37

Send a bill to the school? We don’t keep the headlice in our cupboards and let them out deliberately. How can it possibly be the school responsibility?
In my 40 years of teaching infants I have been told so many times it is my fault. I wish I could do more to eradicate them, my own included, but ultimately it is the responsibility of parents. Not the schools fault if parents don’t bother. Sorry.

Snowydaysarehere Mon 12-Feb-18 22:56:19

Light spray of hairspray keeps the little fuckers away ime!

Troels Mon 12-Feb-18 23:02:44

Tea tree oil kept them at bay with my kids, we managed to get out of high school without getting them. But our school was militant (not in UK), they would hound the parents of the poor child who had them until they were treated. One or two families even had Social services intervention as they kept getting them.

storynanny Mon 12-Feb-18 23:03:11

Yes, I agree with hairspray, it definitely helped keep me nit free.

emmyrose2000 Tue 13-Feb-18 07:45:25

it's the same children re-infecting the others because some parents just CBA

Yep.

We had a dreadful time when DC2 was in his early years of primary. The same two girls kept reinfecting the class. They were both in bad home situations, but honestly, you start to lose any sympathy for that when you're delousing your child (and sometimes yourself after helping in the classroom) every few weeks. It only stopped when both girls left the school around the same time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: